News Amazon Warehouse struck by Tornado collapses!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Your statement is way too broad. I can't copy and paste from this page but it's not a long article and it breaks things down pretty succinctly. https://times-herald.com/news/2021/...ividual-assistance-for-newnan-tornado-victims

FEMA did grant aid to local governments in Georgia affected by the tornadoes, just not on an individual basis due to Georgia not meeting certain metrics, such as their state having enough resources to do so for that sized event. During the same period of time FEMA did give individual assistance for both flood and tornado damage in neighboring TN and Alabama - so clearly they recognized tornado damage back then, making your statement completely false. I am sorry for you having to deal with tornado damage but your information is wrong about the recognition of tornado damage at the time by FEMA. They did reject individual aid, only in certain counties in Georgia, but specified why they were different than counties in the neighboring states of TN and AL, where individual aid was given. I am not saying I agree or disagree with anything but it's definitely much more nuanced than your statements.
FEMA told me to get a hotel, save my receipts, and wait for the presidential declaration that never came, but I’m merely talking about how his gaffe relates to his tweet this morning… and to Ossoff and Warnock’s open letter to Biden and his rejection:

“Newnan, in particular, needs immediate federal assistance to help rebuild homes and businesses damaged by the storms and tornadoes, leaving many residents homeless, jobless, and without the financial means to absorb the costs of repairs as a result of uninsured or underinsured damages”

Based on the devastating impact of the storms and tornadoes, federal assistance, including Public Assistance for the eight counties listed above, Individual Assistance for Coweta County, and Hazard Mitigation statewide, will be critical for the recovery of our communities. We strongly support the state’s request for a major disaster declaration, and we thank you for prompt consideration. We stand ready to work with you and your Administration to support these critical recovery efforts in Georgia”

https://www.ajc.com/news/fema-rejec...ty/2D5X7MAPN5DRJOZAINKCNZCLQE/?outputType=amp

“The Biden administration has rejected Georgia’s appeal for individual disaster assistance in Coweta County, where a massive tornado devastated neighborhoods in March.”

My only point in bringing that up was that Biden couldn’t possibly have seriously considered the letter from Ossoff and Warnock or anything else he was told about the tornados from FEMA, NWS, or whoever if he actually believed that we don’t call them that anymore.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
FEMA told me to get a hotel, save my receipts, and wait for the presidential declaration that never came, but I’m merely talking about how his gaffe relates to his tweet this morning… and to Ossoff and Warnock’s open letter to Biden and his rejection:

“Newnan, in particular, needs immediate federal assistance to help rebuild homes and businesses damaged by the storms and tornadoes, leaving many residents homeless, jobless, and without the financial means to absorb the costs of repairs as a result of uninsured or underinsured damages”

Based on the devastating impact of the storms and tornadoes, federal assistance, including Public Assistance for the eight counties listed above, Individual Assistance for Coweta County, and Hazard Mitigation statewide, will be critical for the recovery of our communities. We strongly support the state’s request for a major disaster declaration, and we thank you for prompt consideration. We stand ready to work with you and your Administration to support these critical recovery efforts in Georgia”

https://www.ajc.com/news/fema-rejec...ty/2D5X7MAPN5DRJOZAINKCNZCLQE/?outputType=amp

“The Biden administration has rejected Georgia’s appeal for individual disaster assistance in Coweta County, where a massive tornado devastated neighborhoods in March.”

My only point in bringing that up was that Biden couldn’t possibly have seriously considered the letter from Ossoff and Warnock or anything else he was told about the tornados from FEMA, NWS, or whoever if he actually believed that we don’t call them that anymore.

Your own comment on Biden's statement was that it was a gaffe. Clearly it was a brain fart. Like I said the proof is in the pudding. Counties hit by tornadoes right around the same time in Alabama, potentially from the same weather system, I was not clear on that but it sounded like it, got individual support from FEMA as opposed to just to local and state governments. On top of that, local governments in Georgia also got FEMA aid for the tornadoes that affected you, but not the individual assistance. So clearly, to say Biden and his administration are not recognizing tornado damage, or tornadoes, is false.

The article clearly states FEMA decides individual aid based upon various factors including weighing the disaster at hand's effect vs state resources. I mean off the top of my head I am quite sure the economy and resources of Georgia are much better than those of Alabama, but we can find articles on that. I mean this was clearly not a political decision due to obvious reasons, so we can safely assume these results were due to standard FEMA calculations. It's how FEMA works. During IDA not every county here got qualified for FEMA aid, even though to many it was their first time being flooded.

Based upon that article which clearly states this decision was based on disaster effect vs state resources, perhaps the issue lies with the Georgia state government. It at least needs some further investigation, since it's clearly established FEMA did compensate counties for individual damage for tornados at that time, in a state nearby where their resources were more scarce compared to the disaster's effect.

Last edited:

Medicine Head

Banned
Dec 10, 2021

Jeff Nixon Bezzos getting paid for his sins of the No Union Representationgate Scandal.

Medicine Head

Banned
Dec 10, 2021
You are truly the worst wanna be try to fake the funk troll ever.

Below 100 IQ for sure. F for effort.
That was mean Zombienoob, I suffer from Schizophrenia, and sometimes I might end up incoherent or behaving dumb. Please be nice too me. Because of Trump I was not able to pay for my Schizophrenia medicines, nor for my pcychiatrist. :( Otherwise, I am a very smart person. I even graduated from highschool with a very high grade in Economics, Forensics, Biology, Chemistry, and Math.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Your own comment on Biden's statement was that it was a gaffe. Clearly it was a brain fart. Like I said the proof is in the pudding. Counties hit by tornadoes right around the same time in Alabama, potentially from the same weather system, I was not clear on that but it sounded like it, got individual support from FEMA as opposed to just to local and state governments. On top of that, local governments in Georgia also got FEMA aid for the tornadoes that affected you, but not the individual assistance. So clearly, to say Biden and his administration are not recognizing tornado damage, or tornadoes, is false.

The article clearly states FEMA decides individual aid based upon various factors including weighing the disaster at hand's effect vs state resources. I mean off the top of my head I am quite sure the economy and resources of Georgia are much better than those of Alabama, but we can find articles on that. I mean this was clearly not a political decision due to obvious reasons, so we can safely assume these results were due to standard FEMA calculations. It's how FEMA works. During IDA not every county here got qualified for FEMA aid, even though to many it was their first time being flooded.

Based upon that article which clearly states this decision was based on disaster effect vs state resources, perhaps the issue lies with the Georgia state government. It at least needs some further investigation, since it's clearly established FEMA did compensate counties for individual damage for tornados at that time, in a state nearby where their resources were more scarce compared to the disaster's effect.
Biden was known as a gaffe machine long before he ever became POTUS. It's patently absurd to equate a gaffe with Biden doesn't believe in tornadoes. :rolleyes: Furthermore, POTUS isn't the freaking FEMA administrator. As you alluded to, this decision is made by the administration but it's ludicrous to even suggest it is Biden himself who decides on Individual Assistance after disasters.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Biden was known as a gaffe machine long before he ever became POTUS. It's patently absurd to equate a gaffe with Biden doesn't believe in tornadoes. :rolleyes: Furthermore, POTUS isn't the freaking FEMA administrator. As you alluded to, this decision is made by the administration but it's ludicrous to even suggest it is Biden himself who decides on Individual Assistance after disasters.

I miss having a president who can give a live speech without sounding like a rambling senile idiot. Between Trump and Biden, its been about 5 years now.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Again: The appeal was made from Ossoff and Warnock, directly to Biden.

…and it was Biden himself promising on-camera yesterday that every individual who needs federal help will get it.

I’m merely making a comparison.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
That huge tornado was on the ground for an estimated 270 miles of which 200 were in KY. The IL warehouse was bad but KY is an absolute disaster with FEMA already on the ground rending assistance.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Again: The appeal was made from Ossoff and Warnock, directly to Biden.

…and it was Biden himself promising on-camera yesterday that every individual who needs federal help will get it.

I’m merely making a comparison.
And it seems Biden told FEMA to do it by the book, use the formulas they use, as the article mentions that is how FEMA figures out what disasters get what aid.

You can't compare yesterday's hurricane to the one on Georgia either. What does it matter what he says yesterday?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This storm was much bigger than I realized, apparently the snow we just got was all part of this same system. Quebec got hit hard too. Got called in at work as they needed help to manage everything. Got 6 hours OT.

They migrated off a tool that used to show us all the battery voltages and now we have to dial into each site manually to see the voltages, so it makes managing and keeping track of these outages require much more man power.

Nov 17, 2019
Can it be?
Amazon asking staff to work during severe weather that collapsed warehouse roof in Illinois was 'inexcusable', union says

www.businessinsider.com.ico
Business Insider|2 hours ago
"Our union will not back down until Amazon is held accountable for these and so many more dangerous labor practices," president of RWDSU said.