Amazon uses DHL???!

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
Ok, been looking for baldurs gate 2+expansion for a while and turns out amazon has it. I figured amazon uses UPS or Fedex both which are relatively close to my work. So I order overnight shipping and figure they will either leave it at the door or I pick it up. Then I check the shipping info and it says DHL...I hate DHL, last time they shipped something to me they only attempted redelivery once whereas UPS and Fedex do twice and it ended up back at sender never to reach my hands again.

Sigh, is this their standard carrier? If so I will never buy from them again.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
The one time I had DHL ship me something they
* Attempted delivery once
* Did not leave _any_ notification they were ever there

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Crap...I'm going to have to keep an eye on this since I'd actually prefer to receive my merchandise in a timely manner.

DHL blows...and not in a good way.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Was it shipped from Amazon or a third-party company? I've never gotten anything through DHL, and I order quite frequently.

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
Originally posted by: thirtythree
Was it shipped from Amazon or a third-party company? I've never gotten anything through DHL, and I order quite frequently.

I specifically ordered through amazon because I wanted it to ship fast and I thought I could trust amazon.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: StartingLine

I specifically ordered through amazon because I wanted it to ship fast and I thought I could trust amazon.

Since you can only specify when you want the product it is apparently up to Amazon as to which shipper to use based on cost and time (between UPS, FedEx, and DHL). I have not (as of yet) been unlucky enough to draw DHL as my delivery method.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001

I suppose I should've also mentioned that I always do super saver shipping, so perhaps they only use other companies for overnight and such (more of a price disparity?)

Dec 27, 2001
Amazon uses everybody...UPS, Fedex, DHL, Airborne, on and on. I order a lot of stuff from there and you never know....it 's just whoever is cheapest.

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007

I suppose I should've also mentioned that I always do super saver shipping, so perhaps they only use other companies for overnight and such (more of a price disparity?)

yeah i think super saver is ups, I really wanted this today and I have no faith I will get it, we will see I guess but I am definately scalded from the experience already. I cant order from them again until they either stick with ups/fedex or allow you to choose your carrier.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20
never had a prob with dhl

I've had 2 packages come via DHL in the last year and both arrived quickly and in decent shape. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, but would still prefer them over UPS.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ZOMG!! DHL SUCKS! UPS SUCKS! FEDEX SUCKS! USPS SUCKS!

who will we use to ship our packages!?!?!?!?!?!??! its the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
The few times I have dealt with DHL, all of the packages arrived on time and in excellent condition. There tracking system could use a little work though. Amazon has used mostly USPS and UPS for my deliveries(90% of them using the free shipping).

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Yep. Outpost.com (Fry's) uses DHL exclusively as well, so I don't shop there anymore. I hate DHL.

Fulcrum

May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Amazon uses everybody...UPS, Fedex, DHL, Airborne, on and on. I order a lot of stuff from there and you never know....it 's just whoever is cheapest.

That's been my experience as well. I always use the free shipping option, and it's normally either UPS for medium or large packages and DHL or USPS (media mail) for smaller ones. I'm sure it depends on where you live as to which carrier they are most likely to use. I live in MI.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
I had no problems when it was Airborne, but then DHL took over and I swear according to the tracking they came to my house, but I was home all day and I heard no doorbell, there was no notice on the door. A bunch of crock.