Amazon review/complaint question

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
So I wanted a Noctua NH-D15 chromax. Amazon seemed to have the best price but I saw there were vendors that had it for even less. I looked and saw amazon warehouse had one "used acceptable" . Some marks or something but fully functional and included everything. I took a chance.

I just got the thing and the it looks just fine but its missing the thermal paste and one screw. The cover for the mating surface was in a different part of the box and there was thermal paste smeared on a heatpipe. The box is messed up and they sent it in just the original packaging with a label slapped on it even though I requested amazon packaging. The box wasn't even taped closed.

I kinda need this. I can buy thermal compound and Tacoma screw carries every screw you can imagine. By the time I get done I might as well have spent 20 dollars more and just bought a new one.

Am I supposed to complain to amazon or just give a bad product review? I'm not sure how this works. Usually when something sucks I just throw it away but this was 86 bucks.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
86 bucks? Everybody on ATOT rolls joints with hundred dollah bills y'all.

Dude, you ain't ever returned anything in your life? This is not the science of the rockets my friend.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Yes, you have a legitimate gripe for the missing screw. Return it.

Thermal paste? You are going to have to reapply anyway. Half the original paste was left on the CPU the cooler was attached to.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
You arent reviewing the product itself, merely the condition of the "Used" product you bought.
You could probably get a few bucks credit because of the missing screw. Open up a chat window and see what they do for you.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You arent reviewing the product itself, merely the condition of the "Used" product you bought.
You could probably get a few bucks credit because of the missing screw. Open up a chat window and see what they do for you.

Yeah... if you're going to leave a negative review, leave it for the seller and not the product.

Please don't be "that Amazon moron" who leaves a one star product review because they had trouble getting a refund from the seller.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
$86 for a used HS/fan I'd say return it unless its nearly perfect.... not sure why you figured it was worth saving $20 to deal with the nonsense frankly.

If the seller gives you any trouble bypass them and take it to Amazon directly.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
$86 for a used HS/fan I'd say return it unless its nearly perfect.... not sure why you figured it was worth saving $20 to deal with the nonsense frankly.

If the seller gives you any trouble bypass them and take it to Amazon directly.

The seller was amazon and when I said there were missing items they issued a refund..

Reactions: Captante
Feb 4, 2009
Amazon returns are super easy.
Go into your amazon account- orders- return
After submitting return it will give you drop off locations and a bar code thing for the UPS Store or wherever to scan and complete the return.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Amazon returns are super easy.
Go into your amazon account- orders- return
After submitting return it will give you drop off locations and a bar code thing for the UPS Store or wherever to scan and complete the return.

They are. Last month I ordered a few things I thought i would need for our internet upgrade. When I did the return all I had to do was go to the UPS store and let them scan my phone and I had a refund before I left the parking lot.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The seller was amazon and when I said there were missing items they issued a refund..

For some reason I assumed you were dealing with a "Marketplace" seller... never a good idea IME.

Glad it worked out ... Amazon customer service has yet to let me down. :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I've had amazingly good luck with warehouse buys. I bought quite a few items from them and have saved a ton of money.....BUT.....be aware that if you buy too many items and return them, your account can get flagged with their algorithm. Basically, you could be costing them more money than your account is worth to them and they'll shut it down.

I read about this happening to some folks on the deal websites when warehouse sales happen. If you buy something and it's in used condition as stated vs not working, don't complain unless it's truly warranted.

I recently paid $100 for a $180 water heater...$55 for a $120 VHF radio scanner.....$45 for a $120 boat propeller. All of them were in new condition pretty much, but packaging was damaged a little or a lot.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They are. Last month I ordered a few things I thought i would need for our internet upgrade. When I did the return all I had to do was go to the UPS store and let them scan my phone and I had a refund before I left the parking lot.
Yeah, I definitely like the current return process, much better than having to package it up and return it via mail.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Send it back. Amazon has a very good return policy. Write the review if you want.

Again though be sure to differentiate between a negative review of the seller and of the product itself. Crappy messed up shipping does not mean the product itself is bad even if it happens to the majority of orders.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I've had amazingly good luck with warehouse buys. I bought quite a few items from them and have saved a ton of money.....BUT.....be aware that if you buy too many items and return them, your account can get flagged with their algorithm. Basically, you could be costing them more money than your account is worth to them and they'll shut it down.

I read about this happening to some folks on the deal websites when warehouse sales happen. If you buy something and it's in used condition as stated vs not working, don't complain unless it's truly warranted.

I recently paid $100 for a $180 water heater...$55 for a $120 VHF radio scanner.....$45 for a $120 boat propeller. All of them were in new condition pretty much, but packaging was damaged a little or a lot.

Partly depends upon how far down the “used” chain you’re willing to go. I’ve had good and bad with Amazon warehouse stuff graded “like new.” I’ve had lots more complaints about the “good” rated stuff I’ve tried…esp with parts missing, packaging horrible, etc.

I just know personally I’d never troll the “acceptable” tier for anything I’d expect to arrive in decent shape.

Reactions: Scarpozzi