Amazon Prime shipping gone to hell?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Dudes. If you're Prime shipment shows up late, you're entitled to an additional free month of Prime. I think it works for up to 3 additional months.

Google it.

I tried it last week, and it's true. I got an extra month. Wish I had known sooner. Other packages have been late this year...

Guess I should take a screen shot when I order. My order was altered after the fact - so now it is 'technically' on time - bozos.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Placed an order at 11:57am yesterday, to my door by 8pm. Y'all live in BFE

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I actually favor USPS because they always come at a consistent time like 2pm, and it's never been late from the 2-day shipping. UPS comes after 5pm and Fedex is completely random for me.

Also USPS allows me to do a hold mail online when I know I won't be around that day or two.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I have been having the same issues, I order in the mornings, all before 10AM central time, i have placed 6 orders with about 40 items in 2 months, and 2 items (of a 4 item order) came in 2 days (i don't count the day i ordered as a day, so the 2 items came in 3 days, which i can understand), I have an order for a 5 Quarts of OIL (wanted to order 4 but they had 2 in stock, ordered and said only one was left) sitting at "waiting to ship" since Nov 25th (fulfilled by AMAZON, so not a 3rd party) yesterday they showed it in stock so i Ordered 3 more. Today the one from the 25th shipped, and 2 from my order of 3 shipped today, the 3rd is in "waiting to ship" and it still shows in stock. I ordered Oil filters Dec 1st, and it arrived today, the 8th. A door hanger clip was ordered Nov 28th (with 4 other items) 3 arrived on the 6th, the door hanger arrived today.

I get the NON amazon sellers may not ship as quick but the actual AMAZON items should. I have had Prime for 4 or 5 years, up till this last year I would say 95% was 2-3 day, again I make sure I order in mornings and consider 3 days including the day i ordered correct, I don't count Sundays ever. But this last 6-8 months i would say 10% has came in 3 days.

its not to huge a deal, non have been deal breakers, but its happening all the time. My subscription to PRIME is for the shipping, I dont use the TV or Music parts of it, and when i purchased it 4-5 years ago that was its selling point, shipping time, all this other stuff has raised its price and I have kept it as I like my stuff quickly. I wont be canceling but I would like to see an improvement.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
What does Amazon say when you complain about the missed shipping estimates?

Nov 20, 2009
Its been a wild week thus far for Amazon, Prime (which I have), etc.

Placed an order for the Secret Life of Pets on Blu-ray. Not available until December 14 even though released on 6th. Walked into Target, Costco and Best Buy and all of them had stock. Bought retail and cancelled Amazon order.

Placed order with Amazon Partner (Fulfilled by Amazon) same day as above and got it within 48-hours.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
What does Amazon say when you complain about the missed shipping estimates?

You get a month extension on Prime, or shipping refunded (if not prime).

I just had to do that again last week. I ordered a humidifier. They elected to ship it 1,500 miles via ground instead of paying what was required to meet their guaranteed date. And so, another month I don't pay for Prime.

However, your terminology is completely wrong. They aren't estimates. They are guaranteed delivery dates. That they, very often, miss.

I live in a Prime Now 1 hour area, and they very often miss regular prime shipments.

Last edited:

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
I've never had a problem with Amazon but USPS always seems to get backed up when it's a busy time of the year (when I ship or I get something delivered from elsewhere). For example, Priority mail took 6 business days when the tracking said 3 days the week after Thanksgiving.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
However, your terminology is completely wrong. They aren't estimates. They are guaranteed delivery dates. That they, very often, miss.

this must be very location dependent because out of 500+ orders this has happened to me maybe twice.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I am in one of their hub cities, and it happens around 10% of the time for me.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Curious to see how they fare this year. Nearly all of my Christmas shopping is on Amazon this year. Trying to do it earlier in the month rather than later, as budget allows. Just make sure to shop with the "Prime" button enabled! Also, Ebates FTW.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
timing isn't bad but amazon isn't as great as it used to be. amazon fresh, pantry, etc, all giving you different $ requirements for free shipping, prime not always 2 day shipping, and lack of free returns on a lot of items. but they're still the best option a lot of times

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I paid for overnight shipping on an order on Monday. I just got an email saying that if my package isn't here by Saturday to let them know. Good job, Amazon.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
this must be very location dependent because out of 500+ orders this has happened to me maybe twice.

You're lucky? I live 25 miles from a huuuuuge warehouse they built a few years ago. I've ordered 10 things with same day shipping, 2 didn't make it the same day, and 1 simply vanished and I never got it. I emailed them and they were so gracious as to offer me free same day shipping on my next order. Mind you they didn't want refund my shipping on the order that didn't arrive the same day AND on my next order. OHH FUCKING WELL on this order, it was just free shipping on my next order. What great people they are. I had to fight with them to get the shipping refunded. I know paying for same day shipping and Prime are the same, but I damn sure don't want prime when they can't get my paid for shipping correct.

fuck amazon.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

It's the inconsistency that is the problem. Went years without an issue, but lately it's been worse since they switched over to USPS for the majority of their deliveries. At first it was awesome receiving stuff on Sunday, but things started to slip.

I did read an article today about how the carriers didn't plan for the increase in shipping over the holiday season. UPS is pulling workers from their desk to deliver packages.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I did read an article today about how the carriers didn't plan for the increase in shipping over the holiday season. UPS is pulling workers from their desk to deliver packages.

Well, to be fair, this is the first year that shipping has increased over the holidays....

colbert.jpg

Reactions: Ns1

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I did have my first big blunder with an order in a long time last week.

I did same day shipping for an item Wednesday. It was shipped lazership and I was home all night. At 8pm it said it was still out for delivery. At 9pm it said package left at door. SO I looked outfront and nothing. The status was fishy too because at that point it said it was had been origin scanned at 5:02pm in a city that is 30 minutes away, and delivered at 5:08pm to my front door. Keep in mind it was now past 9pm.

I contacted amazon and they said to wait until the next day because sometimes shipment tracking status doesn't update properly, but for my troubles I got a $5 amazon credit and 1 month of prime.

Come the next day, again it didn't show up so I contacted them again. They immediately refunded my order and just told me to reorder the item. I got $10 credit for the troubles. I promptly placed an order again for delivery the next day, Friday, by 9pm. It was again going to come lazership as the carrier.

Come the next day, 9pm it's not here. So I hop on chat yet again. They give me $10 credit and another month free of prime and told me to wait until tomorrow. I told them I had a movie I was going to watch in that package tonight and can I have amazon credit to rent it from prime, so I got another $5 credit.

Then an hour later, at 10pm, the package arrived.

So all in all, I waited 2 days extra for my stuff. 1 item is an Xmas gift that was like $35, the other was Jingle All The Way bluray which was $8. So for a $45 package being 2 days late, I received 2 months extra of prime and $30 amazon credit. I think I'll live...

Reactions: Ns1

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
1 item is an Xmas gift that was like $35, the other was Jingle All The Way bluray which was $8. So for a $45 package being 2 days late, I received 2 months extra of prime and $30 amazon credit. I think I'll live...

Well, I can tell you that no one would steal that Blu-Ray, so it probably wasn't theft! :D

(In fair disclosure, while Jingle All the Way isn't a good movie, I do own it on Blu-Ray. :p)

They always tape it with prime tape to try to entice you. What method was it shipped in?

Yep, @ImpulsE69 , the tape is how Amazon does most of its advertising. Look at it this way... when amazon wants to advertise something with their packaging, it's far, far, far more economical to just print a ton of the same packaging tape, which is used on all boxes vs. printing new boxes of all the various sizes.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah Jingle All The Way was alright, very childish. I hadn't seen it in over probably 2 decades then saw someone mention it in another thread so I bought it. I wonder wtf happened to the package though, no chance it was actually delivered to my house.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Its the USPS handoff that I always have issues with. Not just from amazon, but other places that use it as well. Newegg, ECStuning both in recent history. This last week I had ordered a part, shipped from OH FedEx->USPS. USPS sent all the hell all over the place. Shipped Monday, arrived Saturday. Hell, even standard parcel post would have gotten it here sooner.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Atlanta and these are packages shipping from warehouses in neighboring states. The last 4 late packages all get to Atlanta from either South Carolina or Tennessee in a few hours and then sit for days at the main hub here. Never had this problem when it went FedEx or UPS.

That's funny - I'm outside Atlanta (About 30 miles east out 20). I never have problems with Amazon USPS orders getting here on time. The only issues I've had with any packages getting here have been UPS (a few times in the 17 months I've been here), and Fedex (at least once when I did Amazon 1 day delivery for delivery on Saturday).

I ordered 2 Lenovo Thinkpads (from Lenovo direct) on Black Friday and the day after (they were shipped directly from China). They both arrived at the Atlanta UPS hub down by the Airport on Thursday and were "out for delivery" on Friday... and then when they didn't come... on Saturday... and then when they didn't come... on Monday... and then when they didn't come... on Tuesday where one of them showed up... and then I finally got the second one last Wednesday. I talked to UPS twice, on Monday and Tuesday and they were very nice and assured me that they packages weren't lost and that they were just so busy that they were having delays.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Nope. I always get stuff same day, next day, or the following day unless ordering at night or over the weekend obviously.

My 3rd amazon order of this week will be arriving Friday that I just ordered.
I get orders on Sunday with Prime :eek:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
All I can say is last year at this time, UPS and FedEx were both unprepared for the mass last-week prime orders. Therefore if I need something for Christmas FOR SURE, I am buying it B&M