Amazon Prime Saturday deliveries now $10.99 or $12.99?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Yup, I order pretty much every week from them. First it was $3.99 flat then it went up to $8.99 flat and now it starts at $7.99 and it seems to be based on weight and if they have the item in your local warehouse and they dont have to actually pay the overnight fee.

herrjimbo

Aug 21, 2001
Do you think Amazon is paying the same rate you and me do when they ship 2 million packages a day? Idiot.

Again, dont offer the fucking service if you cannot keep the deal. Every year they take more away and I guess I should just bend over and take it up the ass?

as long as the offer free anal lube, i don't see a problem.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Yup, I order pretty much every week from them. First it was $3.99 flat then it went up to $8.99 flat and now it starts at $7.99 and it seems to be based on weight and if they have the item in your local warehouse and they dont have to actually pay the overnight fee.

Wait did Sat. Delivery used to be $3.99? I can't remember.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Are you sure shipping prices for Saturday delivery have gone up? Their T&C state that they start at 7.99 and vary based on size and weight. On a blu-ray movie it is still quoting me 7.99 for Saturday Delivery.

Yup, I wanted a book delivered faster on Saturday because it was a gift and it was only 7.99. I've never seen Saturday delivery more than that but maybe your item was very heavy/large.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Just so everybody knows I'm not BS'ing here. Heres a screen shot showing 107 orders for 2012 only. Again, how is Amazon losing here? I'm not trying to rip anybody off, just use the service I paid for.

Untitled-1.jpg

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
They have my email address when they want to tell me about the deals of the day but cannot notify me when there is a change to a service I am paying for?

Pretty sure it is in the TOS that they don't need to notify you via email to any changes and that they can make them at any time...

Also, it's still the best deal out there so what exactly are you going to do? Be slightly disgruntled and keep ordering? That'll show them, if you do cancel then you will be paying out the ass to get the same stuff and probably shipped slower.

Oct 20, 2005
Yeh, it doesnt pay anymore.

Anybody know if you cancel Prime do they prorate a refund or do they just let it cancel after the 12 months? I just re-upped last month.

They should give you a prorated refund. You can always chat w/ a rep and they should be able to do that refund for you. You should keep prime though, free 2nd day shipping is soooo worth it. Plus the online streaming.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
They should give you a prorated refund. You can always chat w/ a rep and they should be able to do that refund for you. You should keep prime though, free 2nd day shipping is soooo worth it. Plus the online streaming.

Its a tough call. I have automatic deliveries setup for cat litter, dish washing detergent etc. Its nice having this stuff delivered automatically. There is no alternative but I cant keep accepting these increases. I will just have to buy locally.

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
I can understand that they should send out notifications when they change prices. Personally I don't really want them to - as is my inbox is clogged up enough already with random junk from every site I've ever visited it seems.

If this is the only reason why you're pissed off, I think you're just doing yourself a disservice by cancelling Prime at this point...

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
Frankly, from my perspective, I'd rather that they charge someone like you more on these deliveries (which I have no doubt is still being subsidized by them), if it means they're able to continue offering the 2-day option free and keeping the annual fee at $79...

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Pretty sure it is in the TOS that they don't need to notify you via email to any changes and that they can make them at any time...

Also, it's still the best deal out there so what exactly are you going to do? Be slightly disgruntled and keep ordering? That'll show them, if you do cancel then you will be paying out the ass to get the same stuff and probably shipped slower.

Pretty much this.
There is no other place that can even get you close to the shipping charges that Amazon charges if you are a prime member, especially overnight shipping.
So, for the thousands of dollars OP has saved over the years, a slight increase, and he wants to cancel.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Yup, I wanted a book delivered faster on Saturday because it was a gift and it was only 7.99. I've never seen Saturday delivery more than that but maybe your item was very heavy/large.

On a 1.6oz or 2 lb item its 8.99. Heavier items its 10.99. But whats strange is the shipping weight Amazon is using to calculate the rate is off on some items. They list the shipping weight for a couple of different DSLRs at 1lb, so the rate is 8.99. A 20mm prime pancake lens, which weighs almost nothing, is listed at 7lbs, so the rate is 10.99. So it looks like it should be based on weight, but you still might be charged more. It could just be a mistake on Amazon's part.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I ordered some Weber parts yesterday...some are already "out for delivery," the last parts are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. (Saturday) No extra charges for any of it.

j&j

Oct 10, 2011
I've been using Prime for years and I agree their shipping prices and also the items you can get shipped using prime are going down down down. Small items that are cheaper are no longer eligible, etc. I work in this industry and totally understand why they are doing it.

But it's not even CLOSE to what it once was, Prime is not nearly the value it was a year ago. I ordered from Amazon every week simply because of no tax and 2nd day air on anything I wanted pretty much, grocery items, batteries, accessories. They don't get nearly as much business from me now due to that.

I also know that Amazon LOST money on tons of transactions I did as well, I ordered a hammock as a present Overnight for 3.99 including a giant stand, I know they lost their ass on the entire sale because of that.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
I've been using Prime for years and I agree their shipping prices and also the items you can get shipped using prime are going down down down. Small items that are cheaper are no longer eligible, etc. I work in this industry and totally understand why they are doing it.

But it's not even CLOSE to what it once was, Prime is not nearly the value it was a year ago. I ordered from Amazon every week simply because of no tax and 2nd day air on anything I wanted pretty much, grocery items, batteries, accessories. They don't get nearly as much business from me now due to that.

I also know that Amazon LOST money on tons of transactions I did as well, I ordered a hammock as a present Overnight for 3.99 including a giant stand, I know they lost their ass on the entire sale because of that.

Exactly, every time I look the other way, Amazon decides to take away more Prime eligible items or add more charges. It is not the same as it was last year or the year before. Pretty soon Prime will be for video only the way they are going.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
wtf, one day is still 3.99 for me, two day is still free, and prime is still worth

since when can you even get saturday delivery? someone show me that option

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I had 118 orders on Amazon last year and have done 40 so far this year. Prime is a hell of a deal and it is rare that I order something from Amazon without it being Prime eligible. Whatever floats your boat but as others have said, good luck getting Saturday deliveries cheaper elsewhere.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
wtf, one day is still 3.99 for me, two day is still free, and prime is still worth

since when can you even get saturday delivery? someone show me that option

It's only available on certain items and it's only available if your're ordering within the shipping time frame where it would go out on Friday and arrive Saturday.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
I had 118 orders on Amazon last year and have done 40 so far this year. Prime is a hell of a deal and it is rare that I order something from Amazon without it being Prime eligible. Whatever floats your boat but as others have said, good luck getting Saturday deliveries cheaper elsewhere.

I was with you until about 2 weeks ago when the rates changed again. It was the cats ass. As I mentioned, there are no alternatives besides buying locally. I would be the first person to recommend a Prime membership in the past but not anymore.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
I had 118 orders on Amazon last year and have done 40 so far this year.

Thanks for making me no longer feel like an Amazon addict. I average around 30 Prime orders for myself over any given year, and then another dozen or so for Christmas gifts for friends who live far away.

While I have noticed things that used to be Prime items being removed from the list (like cat food), unless I've been living under a rock, Amazon Prime is still far and away the best shipping deal out there if you order a lot from them. I don't think anyone else even comes close.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Do you think Amazon is paying the same rate you and me do when they ship 2 million packages a day? Idiot.

Again, dont offer the fucking service if you cannot keep the deal. Every year they take more away and I guess I should just bend over and take it up the ass?

No, you idiot, I don't, and that's the entire point. If you cancel prime and order the same things, it will cost a hell of a lot more. Try to using the gift of comprehension before making a post and maybe you would have understood that was exactly the point I made. They are shipping you stuff WAY cheaper than you could get it without them.

They can and are keeping their deal perfectly fine. I have prime and it absolutely "pays" to continue using it. You can go look on their shipping page to get the answers you need instead of making a retarded thread.

shipping.png

What a confusing chart...if you're an idiot.

While I have noticed things that used to be Prime items being removed from the list (like cat food), unless I've been living under a rock, Amazon Prime is still far and away the best shipping deal out there if you order a lot from them. I don't think anyone else even comes close.

Ding ding. Winner.

Last edited: