Amazon Prime price increase to $139 soon.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I made $188 last year in cash back by using my Prime card. $152 of that was directly from Amazon (5%), so for now it still makes sense to keep Prime, especially considering I stream from Amazon Music a lot.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I thought wheel of Time was ok. Enough to want to see more. I'll resubscribe when the second season of that comes out and also when I can binge LOTR.
Yeah, I doubt I'd have watched it without my partner's interest, but I don't regret watching it.

Reactions: Captante

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I get 5% cash back using the Amazon card, it's the default payment method. Is that dependent on my Prime membership? I'm kind of new to Prime, only been on it for ~18 months.

Yes, it is 3% without Prime.

Reactions: Muse
Dec 10, 2005
I made $188 last year in cash back by using my Prime card. $152 of that was directly from Amazon (5%), so for now it still makes sense to keep Prime, especially considering I stream from Amazon Music a lot.
Is that net cash after prime or before you account for the membership cost?

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000

Yes and no, so it's 3% without Ptime. So you would have gotten $91.20 instead. So it cost you $139 - 60.80... $78.20 vs $139

I got $328.92 which would have been $197.35 without prime. So it basically paid for my prime membership or within $10 of it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You are mistaken. It does not take a call to Amazon to cancel Prime....just go to your Prime Membership page on Amazon and along the top of the page, on the right, is a box that says Manage Membership, which includes canceling it.
Well, IIRC I did have to call them to change from monthly to yearly... I thought it was similar to cancel. Wrongly, I suppose.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
disclaimer: despite all my frustration and anger with Amazon over some of these issues...I haven't ditched them completely yet. I'm getting closer, but I'm in the boat with @BoomerD ...limited mobility and/or options for local stores.
My biggest beef with Amazon is when (in ~2020) they summarily axed all comments made by customers to other customers' product reviews. I was just how dare you!!!

The reason behind this decision? According to company communications, the comments feature on customer reviews was ‘rarely used’. So as of today, it is not possible to comment on new product reviews. It is also no longer possible to view old comments on product reviews on Amazon.com.

That is a GODDAMN LIE! ... and they know it.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
My biggest beef with Amazon is when (about 2-3 years ago) they summarily axed all comments made by customers to other customers' product reviews. I was just how dare you!!!
It isn't my biggest issue with the company, but that admittedly did irritate me a little bit. Those were helpful at times, and the replies calling out the fake reviews could be amusing, heh.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Despite trying to reduce our usage we'll renew. The package quality is actually pretty good in this area and we can often get items next day, let alone 2 days. A bit of a strange flex for SE MI but we'll take what we can get

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Recently wanted some black walnut bitters. The fee brothers black walnut bitters are like 14 bucks at Amazon.

Found them for 9.49 elsewhere at a drink and better specialty website based in NY. Of course there is shipping but when you buy 5 it's cheaper. Definitely look elsewhere if possible vs just checking Amazon.

I do think a black walnut bitters is fashioned is as good as with a classic angostura bitters.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My biggest beef with Amazon is when (about 2-3 years ago) they summarily axed all comments made by customers to other customers' product reviews. I was just how dare you!!!
Yeah, I want to be able to call someone out if they are FOS.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I want to be able to call someone out if they are FOS.
So many of those comments were super helpful. Some gave rise to lengthy threads under customer reviews, healthy discussions. All scuttled with a wave of Bezos' hand. It was unforgiveable.

Reactions: bigboxes

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Are you hard of herring?
I saw a jar of herring yesterday at Costco. I haven't eaten any herring for double digit years. I did like it, though. I guess I should give those jars a good look, actually pick one up and inspect it and the label. Oh, and to answer your question, yes, I am somewhat hard of hearing. :( Uh, I'm not going deaf, though. My parents both eventually pretty much did go almost deaf. Mom refused to wear a hearing aid. I haven't but think I might like those if I get the right set. Have had a few hearing tests. AFAIK, I'm stable. I protect what I have left. Ear muffs when it gets real loud. BANG!

• Haha
Reactions: bigboxes

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, got an email from Amazon about the price increase, received it on Feb. 18, 2022. I misinterpreted it, I'm pretty sure. It said:

As of February 18, 2022, the price of the monthly Prime membership has increased from $12.99 to $14.99, and the price of the annual Prime membership has increased from $119 to $139. The new prices, plus applicable taxes, will apply after March 25, 2022, on the date of your next renewal.

So, I was thinking if I want to cancel I have to do it by Mar. 25, but it's actually (I think) before my renewal date, which is evidently June 1. I went to my membership and there's a checkbox I can check (I just did) that says:

Send a reminder on May 29, 2022, 3 days before my renewal date.

So, I suppose I can just go there then and click the button labeled [End membership]