Amazon is screwing you.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You guys are just figuring out about store brand items now? You're going to be so mad when you hear about Kirkland.
Kirkland are often really good. It's rebranded, generally cheaper, very frequently great quality. If you don't think so, provide some evidence.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Um, yea, i'm saying their marketplace makes it easy for third party sellers to sell knock offs. It was a big problem for a long time, and Amazon has made some effort here and there to squash it, but it's still something to keep in mind:

I bought a foam roller direct from OPTP because multiple reviews on amazon were saying they didn't get a legit roller 18" long, they got some no name that was a 36" cut in half. Just an example.

Just be cautious dude :)
Yeah, I read reviews pretty carefully at Amazon before making any decisions. One thing I will give them credit for is they don't seem to hide negative reviews. I could be wrong there but from what I've seen it's true. It seems odd sometimes. A product might have a rating of 4.8 stars (nearly as close to a perfect 5 as you'll see) and there's a bunch of 1 star reviews you can read where people are up in arms about negative aspects.

There are some branded products I am hesitant to buy at Amazon because of a substantial chance of getting fake goods. For instance, SDXC memory cards. I bought a Felco F2 pruner recently and was alerted by reviews to inspect and make sure it isn't fake because they'd gotten one through Amazon. Even Eneloop batteries can be faked and picked up at Amazon, there's a good site that shows you how to determine if you have real Eneloops. I'm sure there's LOTS of other stuff you can get bilked on. Read reviews!

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Kirkland are often really good. It's rebranded, generally cheaper, very frequently great quality. If you don't think so, provide some evidence.
I think you missed the point of my post, which was that big companies like Amazon do this sort of thing frequently and Kirkland is a big example of this. If you're mad at Amazon for this you should be equally mad at Costco.

I love Kirkland!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think you missed the point of my post, which was that big companies like Amazon do this sort of thing frequently and Kirkland is a big example of this. If you're mad at Amazon for this you should be equally mad at Costco.

I love Kirkland!
Could you parse that some more, I don't comprehend. You are saying that a lot of Kirkland is fake but you love Kirkland? :oops:

If I order something at Amazon and it disappoints me I can call and complain and probably get a return shipping label and a credit. A hassle to package up and bring to UPS. If I don't like a Costco item I bring it back next time I go, stand in line a minute or two and get credited. Much easier! BTDT.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Could you parse that some more, I don't comprehend. You are saying that a lot of Kirkland is fake but you love Kirkland? :oops:

If I order something at Amazon and it disappoints me I can call and complain and probably get a return shipping label and a credit. A hassle to package up and bring to UPS. If I don't like a Costco item I bring it back next time I go, stand in line a minute or two and get credited. Much easier! BTDT.
I'm saying being mad at amazon for creating store brands is dumb because nobody gets mad at costco for doing the same thing.

I think store brands are great.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm saying being mad at amazon for creating store brands is dumb because nobody gets mad at costco for doing the same thing.

I think store brands are great.
OK, I get it. I will add something, though. Costco has extra incentive to make sure its store brands are quality. They take up precious shelf space. If customers don't like them they won't develop a buying base and it brings their bottom line right down. Amazon isn't making as big a gamble when they feature store a store brand. And BTW, what's the difference between an Amazon store brand and Amazon Basics?
Never bye Amazon Basics. Crap!

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
What the article is talking about is Amazon Basics.

I agree with the article. Amazon has ripped off other brands and they have repackaged the same item(s) as their own. And for a much lower cost. Amazon probably also rigged search results. But, you know what? It's their site. They can do what they want. Any brand that feels threatened or ripped off can always leave, but Amazon is so big now and so many people trust Amazon its going to be nearly impossible to find anything close to what Amazon offers. Ebay? Yea, good luck. This is why it's important to have a seperate webiste to draw traffic too. And, its important to collect emails as well. Relying fully on Amazon is a fools game.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What the article is talking about is Amazon Basics.

I agree with the article. Amazon has ripped off other brands and they have repackaged the same item(s) as their own. And for a much lower cost. Amazon probably also rigged search results. But, you know what? It's their site. They can do what they want. Any brand that feels threatened or ripped off can always leave, but Amazon is so big now and so many people trust Amazon its going to be nearly impossible to find anything close to what Amazon offers.
Ebay? Yea, good luck. This is why it's important to have a seperate webiste to draw traffic too. And, its important to collect emails as well. Relying fully on Amazon is a fools game.
You're saying what? You mean post user feedback about your product at your own site?

I do a fair amount of business at Ebay, but I am careful what I order there. A lot of stuff on Ebay is overpriced. You see posts there that look like they are looking for Alzheimer's victims. You have to be very circumspect with Ebay. I get a fair amount of used stuff, some on ebay, some found other places using google searches. You can get super deals buying used. But again, being circumspect is key.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
No, what I'm saying is learn marketing, or pay someone to market your products. Don't rely soley on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Your account can always be terminated, and they have full control over pretty much everything. Its why Amazon started to copy other successful items in the past. They saw what worked, and they copied it. Sellers aren't going to be able to go after Amazon. They have too much money, workers and too much power. So, if you do decide to sell on Amazon you should be developing a website to sell you items on that also Collect emails. Develop a list. You can then sell directly to your list, and skip Amazon altogether because they don't own your email list. Just a thought.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just a recent example. They had a special on their Brats. Very high quality meat, to the point of literally being too lean. Someone needs to teach them how to season them next. Boring..

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just a recent example. They had a special on their Brats. Very high quality meat, to the point of literally being too lean. Someone needs to teach them how to season them next. Boring..
I don't even try their sausage. I bought one highly rated brand there once. I buy just one kind of sausage at my local indy supermarket, Debrova Andouille:

Inexpensive and I quite like it. I also buy pork roasts at Costco, grind it and make breakfast sausage from a recipe I found online, extrude it myself with a contraption described in a Youtube video, a DIY affair. It's quite lean and I like the flavor.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Kirkland is not fake. Most if not all Kirkland products are made by Brand Name companies FOR Costco and they apply the Kirkland Name on it.

Reactions: Muse

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Amazon packing is the worst by far. Most boxes I get have little to no airbags for protection. I would never purchase a collectable item from them because it's almost guaranteed to have its box damaged.

Yep, after promising to send the second replacement calendar in a box, they shipped it again in a plain plastic envelope,. Damaged for the third time.

Told me they could not exchange it again, and offered a refund. Fine with me, I give up.

Reactions: balloonshark

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I haven't really had problems, I usually order from the manufacturer on there and not a third party and it seems to avoid the fakes.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I haven't really had problems, I usually order from the manufacturer on there and not a third party and it seems to avoid the fakes.
I'm thinking a lot of the items they're talking about are the more high volume items that Amazon can profit from easily. Think, generic phone cables.... HDMI cables.... Bluetooth electronics. There's a whole city in China that constantly makes cheap electronics and will brand, package, and ship for really cheap. It's where all that junk with the fake reviews on Amazon comes from... But a lot of decent stuff comes from there too.

Reactions: hal2kilo

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm thinking a lot of the items they're talking about are the more high volume items that Amazon can profit from easily. Think, generic phone cables.... HDMI cables.... Bluetooth electronics. There's a whole city in China that constantly makes cheap electronics and will brand, package, and ship for really cheap. It's where all that junk with the fake reviews on Amazon comes from... But a lot of decent stuff comes from there too.
I could see that, I know people who buy super cheap cables or chargers and then complain when they break or don't work. I try to go for known companies for that stuff too and it's worked out well for me. Might pay a little more upfront but saves a lot of headaches in my experience.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have yet to buy an Amazon basics product and probably will keep it that way.

I keep wanting to cancel prime but have to find the discipline to do so.

• Haha

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I could see that, I know people who buy super cheap cables or chargers and then complain when they break or don't work. I try to go for known companies for that stuff too and it's worked out well for me. Might pay a little more upfront but saves a lot of headaches in my experience.
It's often a handful of companies that make many of them. The connectors are weak, of course...but these days, they really started cheaping out on the wire. The gauge is so light, they just break easier. I bought a bunch of USB-C cables a couple of years back and the connectors are just now starting to go on the ones I use the most. I still have way better luck than my wife with her lightning cables (apple oem or not)....they die constantly.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yep, after promising to send the second replacement calendar in a box, they shipped it again in a plain plastic envelope,. Damaged for the third time.

Told me they could not exchange it again, and offered a refund. Fine with me, I give up.
I do a fair amount of business with Amazon and I can't remember when their packing was responsible for the item being not satisfactory. I do not buy collectibles... ever.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A friend of mine told me many years ago, and I figure it's true, that there was a city in Japan named Usa and US imports from there were stamped "Made in USA." That was before Made in Japan counted for anything.

And speaking of fake reviews, I generally check out www.reviewmeta.com before buying on Amazon.

ReviewMeta analyzes Amazon product reviews and filters out reviews that our algorithm detects may be unnatural.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If Amazon returns are to much trouble then buy local. Seems like either way you're going for a ride.
But I go to Costco every two weeks anyway. A trip to UPS is out of my way. Actually my post said that already, comprehension problems?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have yet to buy an Amazon basics product and probably will keep it that way.

I keep wanting to cancel prime but have to find the discipline to do so.
You might have to call them to cancel your Prime. I let a one month free Prime roll over last December or so and was thereafter on monthly. I decided to stay on Prime for the time being, anyway, but the monthly fee was a lot more than if I were on a yearly. I couldn't find a way to switch to yearly without calling them. The rep I talked to, IIRC, told me there was no other way. Cancelling may be the same.

Took me a long time to go for Prime, finally did less than a year ago. I haven't scratched the surface of the P. Video (they usually want a rental fee for what I want to see, feh!), but I'm loving the free shipping, and usually pretty quick too. I used to wait until I had >$25 in my cart before ordering, which was a pain.