Amazon in their infinite wisdom decide to censor their own content /S

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Meaning what? Those 4 emoticons? You're being sarcastic, right? Not be able to quote members? :rolleyes:

well you would be able to quote members, but it would have to be in a new post

it'd be like usenet newsgroups

alt.anandtech.offtopic

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Amazon is a business. They exist to make money.
They are not the government.
They are not the news.

Censorship not found.

Reactions: Ajay

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Could always try posting a negative review! :p
Of what? A product?

I figure I can fill my reviews (some, anyway) with diatribes about how brickheaded they were to scuttle the comments feature including manufacturer's explanations, etc. etc. It's something. Enough of that makes an impact.

I could also edit my reviews and place my comments in them! Such as:

Meathead in Indiana said this:
[meathead said this]

I differ, however, and here's why [I disagree]

Too bad Amazon cancelled the Comments feature, wish they hadn't buried 10's of thousands of hours of conscientious customer's work. Oh well.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Of what? A product?

I figure I can fill my reviews (some, anyway) with diatribes about how brickheaded they were to scuttle the comments feature including manufacturer's explanations, etc. etc. It's something. Enough of that makes an impact.

It's worth a try ... I'll be rooting for you! :) (seriously)

However:

windmills.jpg

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Amazon is a business. They exist to make money.
They are not the government.
They are not the news.

Censorship not found.
You are entitled to your opinion. I personally think this will only cost them money. The previously superior customer review support was a major reason I went there. Now I won't so much. It's not just me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Technically it's still censorship and kinda sucks too BUT you are correct that it's completely legal. (if not exactly ethical)

Given the crazy legal environment around "liability" for negative online reviews these days I understand why they want tighter control.
I think there's something else going on. It could indeed be that they don't want to suffer the expense of monitoring the content of the comments. However, it's the reviews themselves that are by far the most voluminous. They can afford to keep the comments... look, Bezos is the world's richest man. The comments are what set Amazon apart from the competition. It's just a shame and they may come to regret their decision. I don't suppose they will reinstate Comments, but figure it's definitely possible. They aren't going to delete that data.

Nov 17, 2019
Zon shut their forums down a few years back. If people were having discussions on reviews, I can see why they shut that down too.

Reviews are not for discussions..

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I've already made it my policy to only buy from Amazon directly for any item over approx $20 due to shaky at best "marketplace" sellers which have reduced them to "sub-Ebay" reliability levels.

Much more of this type of nonsense and I will stop buying anything expensive from Amazon at all under any circumstances. (just like I did with ebay a LONG time ago)

You can't beat their return policy though. I would much rather take a risk on Amazon even if a 3rd party seller. I've had some good finds through Amazon Warehouse because of this. Last one was a headset at 50% off new price. It was "used - like new" and I couldn't find a thing wrong with it, not even the box. It was wrapped like new too.

Reactions: Muse

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I try to avoid buying from Amazon these days. They treat their employees like crap, and they do very sketchy stuff like screw over their own sellers by selling the same thing and undercut them, or even sue them etc. Like for example if someone sells a certain type of product, Amazon will start selling it too at a lower price and make sure it shows up first in the results, then push out the seller.

Unfortunately there's lot of stuff that you can't really buy anywhere else, so I end up buying from there.

I sometimes toy with the idea of making a site like amazon but focused on small business and on Canada only as it's so hard to buy stuff here compared to the states. It would be a way for small business to sell their products either locally or online. As a buyer you would specify your city so when shopping you would get local options too where you can see their inventory and order for pickup. I find half the battle of buying local is even knowing that a certain product exists locally, as small businesses don't tend to have much of an advertising budget, or even a proper website with a shopping cart etc. There's lot of red tape involved in starting a site like this though, such as dealing with sales tax.

Reactions: pmv

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I decided you have something there. Maybe free speech wasn't the right term. I just changed the thread title to cast it as censorship issue.

It seems to me that censorship is only an issue as a restriction to free speech, which means I have a hard time seeing the distinction you are trying to make.

You may well be right that there will be some blow-back against Amazon because of this policy change on comments, and perhaps they will see fit to reverse it due to business considerations. That would be fine and good.

What causes me to scratch my head is why people think that any provider of online customer feedback or member forums is obligated to let posters say anything they want because of free speech. Yes, you have a Constitutional right to free speech -- but that doesn't mean I am required to let you express it on my premises in any way you see fit. You don't get to express yourself through graffiti on my white fence.

I hope this doesn't get censored... 🤣

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The comments did help keep some of the reviewers honest. If someone was bashing a product or gave it a bad review because they weren't using it correctly people could go on the record and correct them. They even helped some folks that were having issues with the product.

People always say you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt. The comments helped distinguish such reviews.

But the dumbing down of the internet surges on. :(

• Love
Reactions: Gardener and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It seems to me that censorship is only an issue as a restriction to free speech, which means I have a hard time seeing the distinction you are trying to make.

You may well be right that there will be some blow-back against Amazon because of this policy change on comments, and perhaps they will see fit to reverse it due to business considerations. That would be fine and good.

What causes me to scratch my head is why people think that any provider of online customer feedback or member forums is obligated to let posters say anything they want because of free speech. Yes, you have a Constitutional right to free speech -- but that doesn't mean I am required to let you express it on my premises in any way you see fit. You don't get to express yourself through graffiti on my white fence.

I hope this doesn't get censored... 🤣
You have trouble understanding why a retailer would let people speak their minds about the products they buy there? :rolleyes: You have no sense of the value of forthrightness and honesty? That is a free speech and/or censorship issue. If I can't trust a retailer to let their customers be frank with their comments, I will not read the reviews. I sometimes wonder. I'm glad when I see negative reviews because it means the retailer is not censoring content, a definite plus in my book.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You can't beat their return policy though. I would much rather take a risk on Amazon even if a 3rd party seller. I've had some good finds through Amazon Warehouse because of this. Last one was a headset at 50% off new price. It was "used - like new" and I couldn't find a thing wrong with it, not even the box. It was wrapped like new too.
Yeah, I will buy on Amazon sometimes rather than, say, Ebay because I'm more confident I won't run into hassles if there's a problem. Amazon customer service is relatively excellent. I can get an associate on the phone in a matter of a minute or two. Try that with Ebay, I dare you.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Can you link to a specific example of what you're seeing with the comment function gone?

I just went to product reviews for things recently purchased, was able to click "comment", and up pops the comment box same as always.

However, if I were to make a comment and click "Post"... it won't, because I was previously perma-banned from making Amazon comments, and they wouldn't even tell me why but it was probably something to do with mentioning that a seller's specs were fraudulent and the seller flagged it.

They still don't effectively police that. Examples include 9900mAh 18650 cells, or 2000 lumen AAA keychain lights, and these just the first two out of thousands, where they spend more time censoring than trying to address the problem because $$$$$$$$$$$.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
You have trouble understanding why a retailer would let people speak their minds about the products they buy there? :rolleyes:

No, I certainly do understand why a retailer might chose to let customers review their products. It may well be in their best interest as a business to do so.

You have no sense of the value of forthrightness and honesty?

Let's not get apoplectic. I think I can hold an opinion that this different than yours without forfeiting any claim to placing value on forthrightness and honesty.

If I can't trust a retailer to let their customers be frank with their comments, I will not read the reviews. I sometimes wonder. I'm glad when I see negative reviews because it means the retailer is not censoring content, a definite plus in my book.

I also put more trust in retailers and products with reviews that include both positive and negative comments. In fact, I normally pay most attention to 3 and 4 star reviews because they are better balanced with pros and cons.

However, if a retailer decides that allowing customers to post unedited reviews is not in their best business interest, I do not agree that this is some sort of violation of Constitutional free speech or illegal censorship that needs to be taken to court (other than the court of customer choice and free enterprise).

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Heh, we're back to censorship again. Yes they have the right to do it, and it is censorship but that word censorship does not by itself, restrict to some right granted by the constitution, rather has a broader definition. They were never obligated in the first place to entertain our posting to their website, but if it is done at all, it should have a balance that remains useful to the consumer rather than leaving the impression that it's just a tool of manipulation.

Even so, if you grant people some freedom then take it away, you will meet more resistance than if they never had it, and there is some validity to that when you base your habits, in this case shopping decisions, based on something you consider a very high value feature of their site which is apparently becoming diminished in value if they want to game it for making products look better than they really are, and it is disingenuous to offer one part of the feature but not to allow a civil discourse.

Legally required no, but ethically required yes. There has to be checks and balances for all the nonsense posted on the internet, and in the case of Amazon, they can't play both sides of the fence pretending to be a great, friendly company then sneakily only care about your money being converted into their money.

Obviously most of us were not under the delusion that they were out to do anything other than conquer the world at the expense of everyone else, but we should still concede that they serve a valuable purpose and consider what is in the best interest of society. Once there are few competitors left, we are stuck with what we tolerated.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
However, if a retailer decides that allowing customers to post unedited reviews is not in their best business interest, I do not agree that this is some sort of violation of Constitutional free speech or illegal censorship that needs to be taken to court (other than the court of customer choice and free enterprise).
I agree. No violation of Constitutional rights here.

That said, there's something to be said for crowd-sourcing as to the veracity of review content, basically for free, by allowing comments to be left about reviews.

Therefore, I have to conclude, that if allowing comments saves Amazon money from having to police review content themselves, that there must be some other reason for axing the comment support, and like I said, they wanted to per-emptively avoid running afoul of the law, should "Section 230" be repealed.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Can you just imagine if Microsoft was like, "Command prompt was seldom used by most Windows users. Therefore, it is removed".

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Can you just imagine if Microsoft was like, "Command prompt was seldom used by most Windows users. Therefore, it is removed".
Sounds more like what the Firefox devs did. Right-click, "Print"? We don't need no stinking easy way to print web pages!