Amazon gift card purchasing, is there a minimum amount to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Hi all,

I know there are a few of Amazon junkies in here and I wonder if you guys/gals can give me some information.

I have been purchase Amazon giftcards via email format for myself and friends for the last year. I ususally bought about 5 to 15 at a time at $1 per card. No problem for the last year or so.

Two weeks ago, I just tried to lower the amount per card down to 50 cents, no problem.

Last week, I tried to lower the amount to 25 cents per card and I only was able to purchase 5 (with 25 cents per card) and then my account locked up due to "address correction and other bs" issues.

Amazon sent me an email and stated it was ok now to log back on. When I tried to log back on:

1) The list of my credit/debit cards are gone.
2) I get lock out again after I tried to purchase gifcards with $1 per card (as I have been doing without problem for the last few months).

I called Amazon and CSR said they will look into it and will email me.

Anyone ever have any problem with small denomination giftcard via email purchasing from Amazon? And do you ever have problem with your credit/debit list being delete?

TIA.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I use $0.25 in gift cards as a payment method on the amazon store -- that way you can get the free daily apps, but there isn't any money in there that anyone can use if they get a hold of a tablet or phone etc. Same for the google play store. Very handy.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Why are you doing this??? Trying to stick amazon with CC processing fees?

No, I have about $400 giftcard in accumulation of my account and I haven't seen anything I like to buy from them lately. I thought I could lower the amount. As I said, I have no problem with $1 per giftcard via email for the last year or so and $.50 last week but $.25 is giving me trouble.

I did ask the Amazon CSR if there was a minimum amount to purchase and she said as far as she knew, there was no such thing. If there is a problem, I don't have any problem to go back to $.50 or $1 as I did before.

I use $0.25 in gift cards as a payment method on the amazon store -- that way you can get the free daily apps, but there isn't any money in there that anyone can use if they get a hold of a tablet or phone etc. Same for the google play store. Very handy.

I haven't have any problem with small denomination paid out. The problem I have right now is purchasing in email format with small denomination. NOT giftcard in physical form.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2005
I'm still not following why you would buy multiple $.25-$1.00 email format gift cards. If you see something you want to buy, why not just buy it straight up with your CC?

And if you don't see anything you want to buy from amazon, why buy giftcards at all?

The only reason I can see buying these small amounts is when gap/BR card was giving away extra points during the holidays for every transaction. I remember reading some people got like $4,000 in gap/BR credit from all these microtransactions. Is that what you are trying to do?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I haven't have any problem with small denomination paid out. The problem I have right now is purchasing in email format with small denomination. NOT giftcard in physical form.

I know, that's how I've been able to do it, 0.25 in email gift cards.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I'm still not following why you would buy multiple $.25-$1.00 email format gift cards. If you see something you want to buy, why not just buy it straight up with your CC?

And if you don't see anything you want to buy from amazon, why buy giftcards at all?

The only reason I can see buying these small amounts is when gap/BR card was giving away extra points during the holidays for every transaction. I remember reading some people got like $4,000 in gap/BR credit from all these microtransactions. Is that what you are trying to do?

Not exactly but similar. I need to fullfil my debit card special promotion for the month. If I have a least X amount of debits, I could win a prize or two on that month. I don't want to buy anything right now from Amazon but might later. I did purchase a few items from them before when they had some good sales.

I know, that's how I've been able to do it, 0.25 in email gift cards.

Were you able to purchase for than a few in $0.25? I was about to do that ($0.25) but only 5 times and then my account got locked up (never happend before).

Last edited:

haquegiftshop

Dec 12, 2012
Below I’ve listed some ideas for how to turn gift cards into cash. Before using any gift cards online, be sure to register them with your home address. Some gift cards only allow registration of your zip code. In those cases, you’ll find that not all online options work. With one such card, I was successful in using it to pay my State Farm insurance online, but I was unsuccessful in using it at Amazon.com or Walmart.com.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.