Amazon Fire 8 - cleanest/best android conversion?

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Hello all
Just learning about using android products now. We bought a few Fire 7 and 8 from Amazon here in Japan.
I didn’t realize you have to do a bit of monkey work to get the PlayStore etc and operating at its full potential. It came with a bunch of stuff from Amazon on it. We shop there a lot, but that’s it.
Are used this guide to install play store and several necessary apps:

Are we good to go? Or is there a better way to do this? Is the tablet slowed down with bloatware or going to have any problems in the future?
Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
That's really all you need to do. I've had a couple of Fire tablets and mostly all you need is the Play Store on them. The bloat is really just Amazon's custom UI, which thankfully can be bypassed.

I'd suggest: Launcher Hijack that allows you to use a third party launcher like Nova. Then it's truly like a 'real' tablet.

Personally, I like mine without seeing the Amazon UI at all, and I find it's most speedy using Nova with the fastest settings.

Also, if the tablet has ads on the lock screen, those can be disabled with a bit of hackery as well. (Though it's a bit dishonest since those are subsidised by the ad revenue).

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
That's really all you need to do. I've had a couple of Fire tablets and mostly all you need is the Play Store on them. The bloat is really just Amazon's custom UI, which thankfully can be bypassed.

I'd suggest: Launcher Hijack that allows you to use a third party launcher like Nova. Then it's truly like a 'real' tablet.

Personally, I like mine without seeing the Amazon UI at all, and I find it's most speedy using Nova with the fastest settings.

Also, if the tablet has ads on the lock screen, those can be disabled with a bit of hackery as well. (Though it's a bit dishonest since those are subsidised by the ad revenue).
The tablet has become unusable recently as it’s soo slow after some auto updates, presumably by Amazon. I suppose the only way to solve this now is to use that nova launcher. Is there a tutorial for that?

Deegan000

Jun 18, 2020
I havent seen any as of yet but, My kids one is slow lately as well. Im keeping my eyes peeled.