Amazon.com Gold Box: Olympus Camedia D-40 4MP Digital Camera for $250. Reg price $600

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Taarna

Jun 7, 2002
Thank you Stormbv!!!

Three weeks of dysfunctional Gold Box nonsense, no offers, nuttin but Jack! I pretty much gave up on it. Didn't even bother to login to Amazon. Today, WooHoo! I got the camera as the last offer. Even with the great deal, I tried to use some coupons. Yeah, I guess I was pushing it.

Interesting note, my order states that it will ship out on the 15th. It makes me think that is the ending date for this particular offer.

And to think I was about to buy a Sony DSC-P30 at Officemax for $197!

Stile

Feb 13, 2001
even getting the gold box is random...
i tried on different machines here and some would get it, some wouldn't..
i'd clear out cache and cookies and some that had it would disappear...
i had 4 other people try it... 2 other people got a goldbox...

try try try...

so far 2 out of 4 of us who got the goldbox got our cameras...

don't give up, guys...

-stile

vinnyracer

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Damn, I can't believe I just bought this and I don't even have a job. There goes $252 on my CC (I just finish paying off last month balance too).

I wasn't even looking for a 4MP DigiCam; I was looking for a 2MP DigiCam like the S330 when I get my job.

I don't know, but for some reason the Gold Box never show up in IE 6.0, so I decide to open Netscape 4.7 and there it was, the Gold Box. After the last try, the Olympus Camedia D-40 came up.

tommyli

Nov 29, 2000
I really want in on the deal
I'm not too familliar with the Amazon Gold box.

Does it change everyday?
it's now JULY 9th.

Does it mean I'm too late??

OneSyberTroop

Banned
Feb 18, 2002
K guys If anyone has the ability to get the second one, Id glad you give you a $25 "service charge" and I'd pay shipping if at all possible........

syyid

Aug 23, 2001
Thanks a bunch stormbv - was going to bed last night, when I spotted the thread, checked out Amazon and :cool:
For those of you that aren't able to see the Gold Chest - as someone already mentioned in the Thread, you have to be a current Member and must have made a purchase in the past.
Thanks again, also there's a $5 off $35 coupon floating around which I used as well as super saver shipping. It came out to be
Subtotal of Items: $ 599.99
Shipping & Handling: $ 6.17
Promotional Certificates: -$ 5.00
Super Saver Discount: -$ 6.17
Gold Box Discount: -$ 347.99
Total for this Order: $ 247.00

syyid

Aug 23, 2001
Hey tommyli,
I'm not sure how often the Gold Chest changes but I ordered mine around 1:30 AM (EST) which would make it the 9th. Although I'm not sure which Time Zone Amazon itself is in.

flythunderbird

Jun 19, 2002
No cameras were in my gold box, but a lot of computer speakers showed up, though. ;)

Congrats to those who got it. Fantastic deal!

dukeharsha

Mar 24, 2001
Nice find. If anyone can pick up an extra, PM me and I can give you $25 for your 'troubles' :) My gold box had a bunch of lead in it :-(

H

Rosebud

Mar 5, 2000
Thanks for the info...

I just cleared my cookies, and there it was.

Second item up was the Olympus Camedia D-40 4MP Digital Camera w 2.8x Optical Zoom for $252.00.

Now for a 128MB SM card from Newegg for $45.00 and I'm all set.

Great find.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

No gold box, so I cleared them cookies, and poof - gold box once again. <'Please no kitchen stuff, please no kitchen stuff, please no kitchen stuff'> <clicky> "G-D Kitchen CRAP AGAIN!" That's for the bajillionth time. Gold Box sucks.

BTW, (as others have mentioned) you can't create a new account and get different offers. Gold box only "activates" after you make your first purchase. You can see the gold box icon but you won't be able to open it / get offers until you actually buy something else w/ that account. So, it appears Amazon will only offer me kitchen tools. Anyone need a sucky deal on an egg poacher?!! :p

Well, I'm jealous of those of you who've gotten in on this. That's a great deal for a 4MP camera, especially a super small one like this. Congrats and thanks for the heads up.

LawBeefaroni

Nov 2, 2001
The only purchases I have made there were a gift certificate and 4 PC games. Why do I get garden and kitchen offers exclusively? Based on your previous purchases, bah! More like "based on the crap we want to peddle." A "lemon zester" for $8.99? It's a stinking 6" iron file.

ManDeJapan

Feb 21, 2001
I downloaded the new netscape, cleared my cookies in netscape, read amazon.com's help section on the gold box, and still no Gold box comes up for me. I've been a shopper on amazon for a while now, but the last item I bought was maybe in April or so. Shouldn't the gold box show up for me? Does anyone have any ideas of what to do to make that gold box show up? Am I supposed to be at a certain site in amazon.com or shouldn't it just come up when I'm shopping anywhere on their site?

Thanks...

ManDeJapan

Feb 21, 2001
Nevermind...I just had to clear the cookies in internet explorer...it comes up now in internet explorer now...thanks.

Stile

Feb 13, 2001
Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items today, and that this completes your order.

woohoo!!!

-stile

tommyli

Nov 29, 2000
okay I'm getting desperate
I downloaded netscape 6.2 (what a sin) just to see the gold box. I did see it, but I can't access cause I haven't boughten anything. That's easy. So I made myself purchase a tripod (hoping it will trigger the amazon system to give me the deal on the camera).

I've purchased the tripod... everything looks completed, charged to my CC, and shipped out from "circuit city"??? (No idea why)
Anyhow my GOLD BOX is still not unlocked. Does anyone know how this works?

Thanks.
tommy (newbie)

bob92

Jan 24, 2000
Hot Damn!

Saw this thread, checked my Gold Box, third item offered was the D40! $262 with 2-day shipping (couldn't wait to get my hands on this baby.

Thanks for the heads up--I've been admiring this camera for a long time but I didn't expect it to be in my price range any time soon. I got the Toshiba PDR-M71 a few months ago and loved the features, but it was too big to conveniently carry around in a pocket. Off to EBay it goes. :)

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
So I made myself purchase a tripod (hoping it will trigger the amazon system to give me the deal on the camera).

Hahaha, you'd think that would make sense, but, all I've ever purchased is electronics and all I ever get in gold box = kitchen stuff. I don't think they use the gold box to sell accessories, I think they try and get you to shop in areas you are not likely to shop in. But, I really don't know. I'd guess some folks experience is different. It's not very random (I get the same category EVERY TIME) or logical (I have no interest in kitchen items based on previous purchases), so, I don't know what to think about this program.

I've purchased the tripod... everything looks completed, charged to my CC, and shipped out from "circuit city"??? (No idea why)
Anyhow my GOLD BOX is still not unlocked. Does anyone know how this works?
My guess is it'd take a day or so to unlock. But that's just a guess. I hope you needed a tripod... the odds of getting in on this deal are pretty slim just to risk buying something you didn't need in the hopes of it working. That said, I hope it works for you.

Cybernaut

Jan 29, 2002
Deal is still good at 8:30am pacific time July 9th.
First time I ever opened the gold box on my account and
there was the camera. I'm using Internet explorer 6.0
didn't clear cookies or anything it was just there..:)

When you use super saving free shipping they will
tell you shipping will be delayed a week or more. Therefore the camera offer
could end before the 15th *Tarnaa* However they have shipped within a day
with the super saver free shipping on another order I recently had.