Amazon - 6-port ethernet switch, 4x 2.5gbe rj45, 2x 10gbe sfp+ $69.99

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

6 Port 2.5G Umanaged Ethernet Switch, 4 x 2.5G Base-T Ports, 2 x 10G SFP, Compatible with 100/1000/2500Mbps, Metal Fanless, Desktop/Wall Mount YuanLey 2.5Gbe Network Switch for Wireless AP, NAS, PC​

$69.99 - coupon for first one (you are buying qtys at this price, I hope).

Edit: Search YouTube for "Serve the Home", (STH), they do a bunch of video reviews, they have several on these various cheap new switches that handle 2.5 and 10 gbe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee and Oyeve

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg of 2.5GB devices going mainstream. I need to learn more about the SPF+ before buying anything.

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
The 9-port version (8 2.5G + 1 10G port) is $99.99, with a 15% off as well, don't forget about this one :)
This is the one I got.
Came today, so far so good, much smaller than the TrendNet 2.5G it replaces. Now I'm ready for the 10G wireless router :D
But seriously, that 10G port may actually be important in the future, we'll see. For now, I actually DOWNgraded my xfinity connection to 200Mbps to save some money, even though I have a solution ready for a custom 2.5G router box, since my wireless router is only 1G, but the modem can do 2.5G... Future will have to wait...

Last edited:

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
Came today, so far so good, much smaller than the TrendNet 2.5G it replaces. Now I'm ready for the 10G wireless router :D
But seriously, that 10G port may actually be important in the future, we'll see. For now, I actually DOWNgraded my xfinity connection to 200Mbps to save some money, even though I have a solution ready for a custom 2.5G router box, since my wireless router is only 1G, but the modem can do 2.5G... Future will have to wait...
Yep. Unless you have a house full of kids and adults all streaming at 4k and downloading at the same time. 200Mbps is fine for most people. And if you need to install a new game. Just do what we did years ago. Downloads it overnight.

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
I just noticed one bad thing about this switch - it only carries a 1 year warranty. I had an issue with a refurb 8-port TrendNet 2.5G switch before, and TrendNet would not RMA it, even though the switch carries a lifetime warranty, but the refurb only 90 days. I did some more debugging on it, and thankfully it looks like it's port-related - activity on port 1 kills the whole switch, so I'm running just the 7 other ports, so far successfully, crossing fingers. Still very unhappy about these warranties, I've had bad luck getting switches RMAd before, by DLink in particular (the 1G switches were expensive back then, now not so much, so no longer an issue). Anyway, you get to pay up for the bleeding edge...

Last edited: