Amazing, Origin does not let the use specify its install directory

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I changed where Origin installs its games.

It's just not like Steam where it can track your library across different directories.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Title is a bit ambiguous.

I installed Origin a long time ago. It goes on my SSD, my games go elsewhere. Can't speak to what you're talking about, I guess.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The game installs are where are all space is used, so that's the important one to allow installing on other drives or in other folders. I don't care about the Origin client itself.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have Origin installed on my data HDD so it must have given me the option back when I installed. I usually choose custom installs when installing anything though as it gives more options (like install directory) when installing.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have Origin installed on my data HDD so it must have given me the option back when I installed. I usually choose custom installs when installing anything though as it gives more options (like install directory) when installing.

Right - but Origin has no 'custom install' option.

You just press a button to install, and it always goes to the system 'default' install location - the SSD by default in my case.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The game installs are where are all space is used, so that's the important one to allow installing on other drives or in other folders. I don't care about the Origin client itself.

Of course most of the issue is the game location, and Origin has an option for that.

But it should let you say where to install it also - like Steam and almost any other program.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Right - but Origin has no 'custom install' option.

You just press a button to install, and it always goes to the system 'default' install location - the SSD by default in my case.

Odd. It has been awhile (over a year I think) since I installed Origin but in win7 it let me put it on a non-os drive and lets me install games on another drive.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I installed Origin about two months ago and I got the option to install it in a different location.

- edit - I just removed it and went to install it again using the installer from the Origin site, and after clicking 'Next', the option to change the install location was the option at the top of the list of options.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I installed Origin about two months ago and I got the option to install it in a different location.

- edit - I just removed it and went to install it again using the installer from the Origin site, and after clicking 'Next', the option to change the install location was the option at the top of the list of options.

That is strange. I installed it from their site when I made this thread, and it had no such option.

I called their support and talked to a manager and he talked to the 'experts' for 30 minutes researching and confirmed there is no way to change it within the program.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Their support department probably just no-brained their way through the conversation. This is a screencap I took just now from today's origin installer:

origins%20and%20lemons.png

Platform: Win7 SP1 64-bit, patched up-to-date.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Strange, I just did it again - maybe from a different page - and it has the screen you posted with the option. So, nevermind, but their support should know this...

Downloading a game, that Microsoft EULA is something - 'you can collrect no more than $5 in direct damages, even if Microsoft knew the possibility of damages'.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The client takes such little space that I never even noticed.

This, plus I prefer to give up that little space to have faster load times for the client. Both Steam and Origin go on my SSD while all games go to an HD, This is a situation where there is no situation ....

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This, plus I prefer to give up that little space to have faster load times for the client. Both Steam and Origin go on my SSD while all games go to an HD, This is a situation where there is no situation ....

Programs should let the user specify the destination.

Your not wanting to change the destination doesn't change that.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Programs should let the user specify the destination.

Your not wanting to change the destination doesn't change that.

There's no way to prove it, but I'd bet big money that it was always there and you just missed it until it was pointed out. Installers usually have a big white box that shows install location though, so I don't blame you for missing it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There's no way to prove it, but I'd bet big money that it was always there and you just missed it until it was pointed out. Installers usually have a big white box that shows install location though, so I don't blame you for missing it.

I can't say 100% that didn't happen, but I doubt it - I even redid it to double check. The first time I installed I got it from a different source.

Regardless, the fact that EA support and then a support manager who spent 30 minutes researching the issue 'confirmed' the limitation suggesting using an OS workaround did happen.