Amazing. Check out Freedos. It's finally got 1.0

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002

It's actually kinda funny. Perfect for those older machines laying around and for playing old DOS games.

It even includes DOOM by default, although of course without the original ID wads, which you have to get elsewere. It has a full desktop GUI. Vim, Emacs. File managers. Networking stuff. All sorts of games and odds and ends. Compilers, assembler tools. Multimedia stuff. cdburners, id3tag tools, lame encoder, etc etc.

It's also suppose to be very compatable with MS-DOS although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Should be fun for all those abandonware games out there.

OF course it's all very primative. It's still DOS. Just DOS on steroids.

I've been playing around with disk images and making a Linux and DOS dual boot USB key for fooling around with.

Been using Qemu. I formatted the usb key in Linux, pulled a disk image using dd and was using that. Booted up the freedos full install cdrom and the only problem was that I had to use XFDISK to setup the partitions for FreeDOS for some reason. Other then that it wasn't a problem, at least not so far.

I left 250 megs for it.. and I am now afraid of running out of space..
http://www.freedos.org/

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Wow.. they finally reached version 1.0 release status.. This has been in the works for years now.
I'll definately have to download and try this out