Amanda Gorman vs. Francis Scott Key

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Written by a black woman? BAN IT, IT'S HATE SPEECH!

She read it at Biden's inauguration? BAN IT, IT MUST BE COMMUNISM!

It's about overcoming struggles and obstacles? BAN IT, IT MUST BE INDOCTRINATION!

She didn't even read it herself. Her kids read a snippet, and she probably told them to stop. I mean, they were reading it TO her and she STILL only got a snippet?

“I see the word ‘communism’, and I think it’s something about communism,” she told JTA, adding, “I didn’t read the words.”

She also revealed that she only read snippets of the books that she sought to ban at the education center. The books include The ABCs of Black History, poetry by Langston Hughes and books on Cuba, all of which she has criticized for “indirect hate messages”, references to critical race theory and gender indoctrination.

“They have to read for me because I’m not an expert,” Salinas told JTA. “I’m not a reader. I’m not a book person. I’m a mom involved in my children’s education.”

In other words, the dumbass is illiterate and frothing at the mouth over something she didn't even understand the meaning of.

I'm just astounded by the ignorance of these assholes, and the acquiescing to their fascist desires. I know it's FL, TX, etc. but JFC.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Written by a black woman? BAN IT, IT'S HATE SPEECH!

She read it at Biden's inauguration? BAN IT, IT MUST BE COMMUNISM!

It's about overcoming struggles and obstacles? BAN IT, IT MUST BE INDOCTRINATION!

She didn't even read it herself. Her kids read a snippet, and she probably told them to stop. I mean, they were reading it TO her and she STILL only got a snippet?

“I see the word ‘communism’, and I think it’s something about communism,” she told JTA, adding, “I didn’t read the words.”

She also revealed that she only read snippets of the books that she sought to ban at the education center. The books include The ABCs of Black History, poetry by Langston Hughes and books on Cuba, all of which she has criticized for “indirect hate messages”, references to critical race theory and gender indoctrination.

“They have to read for me because I’m not an expert,” Salinas told JTA. “I’m not a reader. I’m not a book person. I’m a mom involved in my children’s education.”

In other words, the dumbass is illiterate and frothing at the mouth over something she didn't even understand the meaning of.

I'm just astounded by the ignorance of these assholes, and the acquiescing to their fascist desires. I know it's FL, TX, etc. but JFC.
Oh, shit, this lady's a fuckin' commie! Did you hear her, she just said the word "communism"! TWICE! BURN THE WITCH COMMIE!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
And this is what you get with all the "parents rights" bullshit. One loony parent deciding that an entire school district can't read something. This is exactly what terry mcauliffe was talking about in the debate against Yunkin. Parents should have little real say in how public schools operate.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I don't think this is about race, but about politics. I remember hearing it live and the direct reference to Trump and republicans attempted coup on Jan 6th...

"We’ve seen a force that would shatter our nation rather than share it.
That would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy, and this effort
very nearly succeeded. But while democracy can periodically be delayed, but it
can never be permanently defeated."

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don't think this is about race, but about politics. I remember hearing it live and the direct reference to Trump and republicans attempted coup on Jan 6th...

Yeah...we'll just save that quote for posterity, shall we? lol

Parents should have little real say in how public schools operate.
Not as individuals, no. It's ridiculous that ONE person can complain (and without even reading the content they're complaining about), and get results just like that. Ludicrous.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

If you are creating laws to placate your racist base, then it is about both race and politics.

Are you saying all these laws that target black history have nothing to do with race??

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't think this is about race, but about politics.

I can't make sense of that comment. Race is an intensely political topic - there's not much else to 'race' than politics, and in turn, race makes up a huge proportion of politics (perhaps especially in the US).

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The complaining woman has attended Proud Boys rallies and she has also engaged in anti semitic propaganda on Facebook. I've yet to see her list of the actual objectional passages. She also admits she isn't a reader and did not read the entire poem.

Nothing suspicious there, right?

Reactions: Pohemi

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
And how exactly do they 'ban' the poem? Do they restrict the kids from reading it somehow? Do they even remember the 1st amendment exists?
Pretty easy, you block any teacher from mentioning it, teaching it, or permitting it read in class, and fire them if they don't comply. Remove it from public libraries as well. Can't scrape it from the internet but that clears probably 99% of instances most students would be presented with it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Jesus wept.

I guess we can take solice over the fact that it's only one kook and only one school.

So far.
Fuck that!!!!!!!!!! Who the fuck caved because one crazy bitch saw the word "communism" and lost her shit.

This knee-jerk reaction of folding like a cheap lawn chair in the face of complete ignorance is why the fucking crazies are so successful in destroying common sense and society.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Shutting down the Amanda Gorman poem was equally about stifling black speech. Not much to do with content since the complainer didn't read it fully.

Reactions: hal2kilo