Am4, how important is a clock generator?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I had pretty much decided on a Asus prime x370 mobo. It's got good power phases, is reasonably priced. And Asus for the most part is top tier quality(maybe not so much on the crosshair though....)

However it lacks a clock generator. And for memory overclocking I'm learning you really need a clock generator. And since ryzen scales so well with memory this could be a key point.

So what do you guys think? Clock generator required or not for Am4?

When the taichi is in stock I can always go for it. Only a few bucks more and has a clock generator and a second m2 slot over the Asus.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
That is a good question. I am interested in this as well, since I actually have a Taichi.

parsec said:
Ryzen processors are semi-SOC type processors, with the SATA support as part of the processor itself, use a shared BCLK with the SATA ports and PCIe 3.0 interface. That causes instability with SATA drives and PCIe devices. BCLK over clocking will be limited on Ryzen systems with shared BCLK due to the shared BCLK.

You have instability and your PCIe 3.0 drops to 2.0. Is it really worth that? It would kind of suck to know this thing is basically worthless.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That is a good question. I am interested in this as well, since I actually have a Taichi.

You have instability and your PCIe 3.0 drops to 2.0. Is it really worth that? It would kind of suck to know this thing is basically worthless.

Well you see thats my dilema, it can add instability, however then you look at those benchmarks with 3200-3600mhz ram and see how much that adds over 2400mhz ram for ryzen and you start to think its worth it, and AFAIK the only way to get 3200mhz+ RAM speeds is with Bclock overclocking.