AM4 Asrock MB with USB 3.0 (blue) header?

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
The MB shown in my sig has a blue, USB 3.0 (blue) header that works with the front ports that came with my Antec Sonata case. I am planning an AM4 upgrade and would like to stick with Asrock (though I am certainly willing to consider other makers). Does anyone know of a AM4 board with such a header? I am having no luck in finding one, even though Antec still makes cases with built-in USB 3.0 front ports. Many thanks.

BTW, the mobo would also have to support NVMe and a third-gen Ryzen chip.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The connector should be the same as USB 3.1 Gen 1 connectors (a rename of the USB 3.0 connectors).

The color of the port doesn't matter, that was just an artistic design choice from the various manufacturers back when you bought that motherboard.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/difference-between-usb-3.1-gen1-usb-3.1-gen2,36941.html

I just swapped my motherboard from an Intel Z270 chipset to an AMD X470, and my front panel USB 3.0 connector on my case work just fine connected to both motherboard's internal USB 3.1 Gen 1 connector.

Reactions: jhansman

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Shouldn't be any issue, as far as I can make out its just a standard 20 Pin USB 3.0 Front Panel Connector. Pretty much all boards have them today.

As for the naming confusion, the USB Forum sure doesn't make it easy.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Pretty much all boards these day have at least one USB 3 20 pin header.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Yeah, I was thinking the blue connector might have just been a design choice on Asrock's part, and the diagram for the AM4 board shows the USB 3.1 header (labeled "1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Header" in the manual), with the same number of pins as the one on my current board. Once again, thanks to all who replied. Now I need to find out if the current model of this board is shipping with the latest BIOS, because if not, it won't boot with the CPU I have chosen (and that would suck). A call to Asrock should clear this up. Many thanks for the replies and info!

Reactions: UsandThem

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My anecdotal experience is that most OEMs used the blue for color coding too. IT s to let the user know which ports were high speed. Now with USB-C and A almost all being 3.0 or higher, color coding would be too much for Joe and Jane sixpack to remember which is which.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
My anecdotal experience is that most OEMs used the blue for color coding too. IT s to let the user know which ports were high speed. Now with USB-C and A almost all being 3.0 or higher, color coding would be too much for Joe and Jane sixpack to remember which is which.

Yeah, starting a new build these days can be a challenge for even the experienced among us. 5 or 6 years passes between builds and the industry has charged ahead, leaving us with what knowledge we have (had) and bolting on what we now need to know. I am going slowly and reading a lot :p