Am I the only super-dork addicted to MIT's OpenCourseWare site?

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
cool stuffs. I can see the same class offers in my school is different than on MIT. the materials are the same, but the assignments are much harder.

phisrow

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2004
OpenCourseWare is really cool. I'm impressed that MIT decided to do that, rather than succumb to the modern fad for "monetizing intellectual property" or whatnot. Makes you feel good about them as an educational institution.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Nice Maybe I'll play with some of the stuff later...would like to see what their BME does vs my BME program...

allllthough...their MSE undergrad does seem a little "Questionable" that they have "Mechanics of Materials" as graduate course...maybe this isn't a full list, and just what is available?

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: thesurge
OpenCourseWare is awesome.

LOL @ Algebra I

I don't think it's the same kind of algebra that you're thinking of.

18.701 Algebra I, Fall 2003
Course Description
The subjects to be covered include groups, vector spaces, linear transformations, symmetry groups, bilinear forms, and linear groups.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: PhaZe

LOL @ Algebra I

Course Description
The subjects to be covered include groups, vector spaces, linear transformations, symmetry groups, bilinear forms, and linear groups.

That sounds like Algebra I to me....just a very fancy way to say everything ;)

samarth

Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: magomago
Nice Maybe I'll play with some of the stuff later...would like to see what their BME does vs my BME program...

allllthough...their MSE undergrad does seem a little "Questionable" that they have "Mechanics of Materials" as an upper div course...maybe this isn't a full list, and just what is available?

You are correct sir - this is not the full list. There are many other courses that are offered here that are not listed.

Eska

Banned
Nov 13, 2006
haha.. my friend is always talkin bout it and showing clips from it...
i remember watchin a clip of a wine glass bending due to the resonance of sound frequency...

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
OCW was useful for some of my intro classes, but it doesn't seem to be on the save level as most of the courses I take here at Lehigh as a structural engineer.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
Yeah, a lot of MIT's higher level classes aren't on it.

I'm an MIT EE undergrad, and I find that the higher up I get in my curriculum, the fewer classes I'm in have OCW archive. That siad, I still think it's an incredible archive.

Originally posted by: daniel1113
OCW was useful for some of my intro classes, but it doesn't seem to be on the save level as most of the courses I take here at Lehigh as a structural engineer.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
Infact, this is the hard version of Algebra at MIT. The pussy version, which I'm taking (18.06) is a hell of a lot easier, and a lot less theoretical.

I have immense respect for the crazy math majors we have. IMO, they are by far the smartest students we have.

Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: PhaZe

LOL @ Algebra I

Course Description

That sounds like Algebra I to me....just a very fancy way to say everything ;)

jread

Jan 20, 2005
Do you find the courses are at a higher level than what you're used to at other schools?

GimpyFuzznut

Sep 2, 2002
Yes!

18.152 Introduction to Partial Differential Equations, Fall 2005
18.04 Complex Variables with Applications, Fall 2003

I saw this before but forgot the link (or that it was simply the MIT website). Thanks! This will be very useful for all those lectures I've missed.... er... and the one I'm missing right now!

Damn.... their introduction class to circuits and electrical systems looks 10x harder than what I do right now.

libs0n

May 16, 2005
I hate pankcakes! Ate too much of them during a chapter in my life, and now I call that period Wawful.

Digg had a link to this the other day, which contains links to other online lectures. I've started listening to Physics for Future Presidents at Berkley during my games of counterstrike. It's interesting, but its nothing new; I'll pick something I don't have a clue about for the next course. Local University up here in Ottawa has a television channel to distribute it's lectures to students; I've always appreciated institutions that make available their resources to the general public.