Am I the only one??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I think a lot of "hardcore" PC gamers would think you're insane for using a trackball, but I know one or two people myself who play shooters with a trackball. Just goes to show that with enough practice, you can be good with anything. Although I think trackballs let you aim more precisely than with an analog stick. Still, I'm sure the best console Call of Duty players would probably kick my ass even if I had a keyboard and mouse.

The trackball I use is an old kensington pro, the ball is the size (literally) of a cue ball. Being mostly left handed in a right handed world made me sway to a trackball 15 or so years ago. The arrow keys on KBs is to the right so for me this combo works great. I cant do the WASD on KBs cuz I couldnt find a decent lefty one. use an enermax KB, forget the model but its the solid metal one that can decapitated someone if flung at the correct angle.:)

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
I think it's a matter not only of preference but also what one learned to game on. Once I got my first computer (actually, even before that), I became primarily a PC gamer. I basically grew up using the mouse and keyboard for everything. I also used a mouse and keyboard on the PS2 for games that supported it. Consequently, I was also a major FPS gamer back in the heyday.

My friend's brother, by contrast, grew up pretty much solely on consoles with some MMO gaming on the PC. He's far better at using a controller than I as that's his primary means of gaming input. Consequently, he prefers to use a controller whenever he can.

Nowadays, I only use my old 360 controller on the PC for racing games (as I don't own a wheel), and maaaaybe the occassional platformer that needs some awkward simultaneous button presses. I don't like the Street Figther series, and that's the only major fighter to come out besides Blaz Blue, which I already have on the PS3 anyway. Even 3rd person adventure games I play using the mouse and keyboard, simply because I prefer the higher sensitivity mouselook if nothing else.

Still, nothing beats the good ol' Steel Battalion controller. There's nothing like having a button that has no other purpose but to turn on life support.

(Oh crap, they're making a 3rd Steel Battalion using Kinect...if this does come out I'll have to get a 360 again...)

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I can use a controller for the following: Racing, Fighting, Flying.

For FPS, RTS, and RPG I must have a mouse and KB or I suck so hard I feel like I'm hooking.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Too many PC gamers are stuck up. I have no problem playing any type of game on a controller. I play FPS's fine on console's. Sure it's not as precise as KB/M but you guys just seem like you refuse to learn. It's not that hard. Most people don't play games on PC so learning how to play with a controller means you can play with other people on a console and have fun with them instead of sitting alone on your PC all the time.

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
Too many PC gamers are stuck up.

Maybe we're just pissed off that most game developers port their shitty consolitis controls over to the PC. Instead of optimizing it for the KBM.

The GTA series is a good example. I can play with better with a gamepad than with the KBM. And what's worse is I bought it the games from steam when they were available the first day. I paid full price!

When emulating GTA 3, VC, and/or SA on PSPX2. The modders do a better job translating the controls than the developers.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Maybe we're just pissed off that most game developers port their shitty consolitis controls over to the PC. Instead of optimizing it for the KBM.

The GTA series is a good example. I can play with better with a gamepad than with the KBM. And what's worse is I bought it the games from steam when they were available the first day. I paid full price!

When emulating GTA 3, VC, and/or SA on PSPX2. The modders do a better job translating the controls than the developers.

Of course you'll do better with a gamepad, it's a 3rd person game and no matter what platform it's on, it'll always be played better with a gamepad. For GTA IV, I did everything except firefights with the gamepad.

Sep 29, 2008
Console controllers are great only if the games are designed from the beginning to take full advantage of the hardware.

When developers design games to be multiplatform, they end up diluting the game design to it's weakest link. My pet peeve. :(

From accuracy stand point, I think it's simply unrealistic to achieve mouse like control with an analog stick on a controller. I don't know about you, but my thumb can swing left to right in an arc with ease, but it won't go up and down, or diagonal with the same accuracy. So, I avoid playing FPS on console as much as possible like many others.

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
Of course you'll do better with a gamepad, it's a 3rd person game and no matter what platform it's on, it'll always be played better with a gamepad. For GTA IV, I did everything except firefights with the gamepad.
I completed GTA3 & VC with KB/M. It was absolutely fine in GTA3, but started to get a little more difficult with VC (mainly with the weird wheelie/air controls).

From San Andreas-onwards it's so tailored to a controller that it's almost not worth playing on KB/M. Which is a shame as I will always take aiming with a mouse over analog sticks.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I completed GTA3 & VC with KB/M. It was absolutely fine in GTA3, but started to get a little more difficult with VC (mainly with the weird wheelie/air controls).

From San Andreas-onwards it's so tailored to a controller that it's almost not worth playing on KB/M. Which is a shame as I will always take aiming with a mouse over analog sticks.

Yea that's why I switch between the two, aiming with the controller sucks since there's no auto-aim for PC so I use mouse for aiming then switch to controller for everything else.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
started playing black ops on ps3. granted it's only the zombie mod, but it's still fun as hell and I got used to the gamepads pretty quickly after 10 years of sole PC gaming.

Anneka

Jan 28, 2011
well although it might be hard to adjust Console gaming is funny as hell

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
KBM is totally natural for FPS and RTS, I seriously doubt anyone would have trouble understanding how to use those controls.

Analog controls are absolutely necessary for racing games.

Anneka:

Yeah I bet you're ROFLing right now.