Am I the only one??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I've used gamepads in the past, but haven't in years until recently. I managed to get all the way through Batman: Arkham Asylum with an Xbox 360 controller. Took some getting used to, but by the end of the game I was fairly comfortable. I still prefer my mouse/keyboard combo for FPS games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
certain games are much better with a controller if you ask me. Racers, action games (like GoW--so, Darksiders and the GTA/Just Cause type games and such)

it's funny that as much as the dedicated hardcore PC gaming community talks of the superiority of games on PC, it really wasn't until Nintendo/Sega/Atari that gaming really took off. And at the time--many of those NES games were far superior to what one would get on the PC.

yes--very different types of games, but they simply weren't designed to be used with a controller--same for PC games.

talk all you want about "the inferiority" of a controller, but it takes an entirely different level of Hand Eye coordination to use one really well. I do agree that the majority of FPS is better with a KB&M, but in many cases....I tend to prefer using a gamepad. Depending on the game, and the complexity of options, i find the KB extremely limited as to how buttons are mapped, giving very awkward setups.

I'm playing Borderlands right now, and I'm tempted to move over to a gamepad b/c the mapping for mele attack is so damn awkward (V), that it drives me nuts. I need right mouse button for gun zoom and space for jump--where the hell else can I put the mele attack?

hmmm, maybe middle mouse button? also, I find the driving controls in that game awkward--move the mouse left or right to control steering? wtf....

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
A gamepad is fine - better, even - for most genres, but I'd rather gouge my eye out with a rusty fork than use them for FPSes or RTSes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't know how you could possibly use one for an RTS. I mean...that's nuts.

I know they made a few of those for PS and such, but...they never did well.

vrait

Aug 10, 2010
Am I the only one that has been PC gaming for so long that I cant get used to console game pads. I cant stand Analog sticks!!!! Am I the only one or am I just getting old and cant adjust? I think If I ever get a console I would need a mouse and keyboard adapter.

Controllers suck. The sticks on them are extremely inaccurate. The games need auto aim just to be able to hit something.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
For fps games normal console controls suck, think the last one that I actually liked was n64 golden eye as n64 was a great controller.

But on the other hand they are awesome for racing / fighting games so it really depends what you are playing.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
certain games are much better with a controller if you ask me. Racers, action games (like GoW--so, Darksiders and the GTA/Just Cause type games and such)

it's funny that as much as the dedicated hardcore PC gaming community talks of the superiority of games on PC, it really wasn't until Nintendo/Sega/Atari that gaming really took off. And at the time--many of those NES games were far superior to what one would get on the PC.

yes--very different types of games, but they simply weren't designed to be used with a controller--same for PC games.

talk all you want about "the inferiority" of a controller, but it takes an entirely different level of Hand Eye coordination to use one really well. I do agree that the majority of FPS is better with a KB&M, but in many cases....I tend to prefer using a gamepad. Depending on the game, and the complexity of options, i find the KB extremely limited as to how buttons are mapped, giving very awkward setups.

I'm playing Borderlands right now, and I'm tempted to move over to a gamepad b/c the mapping for mele attack is so damn awkward (V), that it drives me nuts. I need right mouse button for gun zoom and space for jump--where the hell else can I put the mele attack?

hmmm, maybe middle mouse button? also, I find the driving controls in that game awkward--move the mouse left or right to control steering? wtf....

Um console pads are inferior to KB/M for shooters. I'm sure it does take an entirely different level of hand eye coordination, but why would I want to learn that when I can play on something that's better? The only reason would be to play with friends who use it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Um console pads are inferior to KB/M for shooters. I'm sure it does take an entirely different level of hand eye coordination, but why would I want to learn that when I can play on something that's better? The only reason would be to play with friends who use it.

the hand eye coordination for gamepads is more of a platfomer/shooter type game. I don't think there's any major challenge when it comes to FPS.

I said that KB&M is better for FPS, just that I sometimes prefer the gamepad. My reasoning for this was not because of aiming, but because of games with certain mechanics that allow various moves and secondary skills. too much of these leads to odd key mapping and uncomfortable/awkward positioning.

the main benefit for KB&M is how precisely and quickly you can aim--camera movement is also much better, in general. movement is almost negligible as wsad works fine (though I prefer sticks for this), and shortcuts for item slots using the numbers or f keys are much faster.

despite all of that, I often find myself preferring a gamepad in certain games--and far more friendly in those with a complex area of skills.

also bear in mind that I generally dislike FPS--it is my least favorite genre as they are almost all identical, with minor tweaks here and there.

though I am thoroughly enjoying borderlands right now. If only it had a 3rd person view. :(

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
the hand eye coordination for gamepads is more of a platfomer/shooter type game. I don't think there's any major challenge when it comes to FPS.

I said that KB&M is better for FPS, just that I sometimes prefer the gamepad. My reasoning for this was not because of aiming, but because of games with certain mechanics that allow various moves and secondary skills. too much of these leads to odd key mapping and uncomfortable/awkward positioning.

the main benefit for KB&M is how precisely and quickly you can aim--camera movement is also much better, in general. movement is almost negligible as wsad works fine (though I prefer sticks for this), and shortcuts for item slots using the numbers or f keys are much faster.

despite all of that, I often find myself preferring a gamepad in certain games--and far more friendly in those with a complex area of skills.

also bear in mind that I generally dislike FPS--it is my least favorite genre as they are almost all identical, with minor tweaks here and there.

though I am thoroughly enjoying borderlands right now. If only it had a 3rd person view. :(

I see what you mean. Which games have you played that cause you to prefer the gamepad due to key mapping because of various skills and secondary abilities? I haven't found one myself.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Controllers suck. The sticks on them are extremely inaccurate. The games need auto aim just to be able to hit something.

Controllers don't suck! If aiming is a problem you can always throw them at the target. If more targets are available, you must repeat the sequence, thaaaaaat's what sucks!

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
This is me too. I'm hopeless with a gamepad, and I did try, not just for a few hours, but a few days with EA's Fifa 200x on PC. It's one of the reasons why consoles aren't even remotely on my radar. Maybe I'll learn to be semi-competent when I will have kids, so that I'm not the "grandpa" who's behind the times.
But right now I just can't play with it for s*it. That and fussball...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Am I the only one that has been PC gaming for so long that I cant get used to console game pads.

No, you're not the only uncoordinated monkey that can't play FPS with analog sticks.

I'm not one of them, though. I do fine with analog sticks.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
I started playing with a logitech controller, and I have to say that sitting comfortably in an armchair is very convenient, but I still can't get the hang of playing fps's with it. I have no idea how people manage in these types of games because, to me, it feels too clumsy and very hard to aim, but I figure that, even if I got good at it, I would still prefer M+K simply for the feeling; Feels a lot more natural with a mouse.

So now I play games where you have to aim at stuff with a controller for movement and a wireless mouse for aiming. Works pretty well with Xpadder.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
I cant seem to grasp the gamepad ether, But to each there own.
I use a joystick for my mech games, With all the extra buttons in the right hand for group firing and CH for seperate torsotwisting, It went bad recently though and now just M/KB.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
If consoles had a keyboard and mouse for an optional controller, I don't see a reason to game on a PC or spend money on video cards.

Just give us a console with the capability to run games @ 1900x1080 res.4xAA @ 60fps, with internet capabilities and we are all set.

It might happen with the next round of consoles, who knows?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
it really depends on the game.

I have a Xbox360 controller tied to my system.

If the game uses the mouse soley as a look feature, and the game isnt headshot sensitive, then the pad wins.

The pad also wins in racing games, because of sensitivity. There is no sensitivity on keyboards, so pads have an advantage of not having to turn at full force all the time.

if the game is a FPS, then yes, mouse and keyboard.
If the game is a 3rd person action, then no, i prefer my xbox pad.

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
I wonder how something like the Wii Nunchuck controller + mouse would work. 360 degree analog movement with your right thumb, aiming and firing with the mouse in your right hand. I think that would be the best of both worlds for FPS gaming.

six26

Apr 28, 2011
I've missed out on a lot of fun with family/friends because I am completely inept at using a game-pad when playing all of the popular (multiplayer) FPS games on console systems. I have, however, played a shit ton of PC FPS games with the KB/M combo since the days of Quake I, Quake II, Counter-strike... etc. Sure, I can play a multiplayer FPS on a dedicated server with my online friends using a KB/M, but I miss out on all of the fun of hanging out at a friend or family member's house playing a multiplayer console FPS with the group. My pride and competitive nature hasn't let me learn to use the game-pad so that I can compete in such settings... :).

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Certain types of games are easier/more fun to use with a controller:

Sports
Driving
2D side-scroller

Everything else just feels too limiting with a controller.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
LOL, I read the original post and I was going to say, "no, you're definitely not the only one, I think it's the #1 thing PC gamers love to bitch and moan about."

But it looks like I didn't have to.

I play games on consoles and PC. Controllers aren't as good for games where you have to aim precisely, but they're better for driving and other vehicles, and for third person games where you don't have to aim (like platformers).

Then again, if you're playing on a console, everyone has to use a controller, so it's a level playing field.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
For years (maybe decades?) I was always bitching about console controllers and PC game 2 console ports sucking because I needed a KB and a trackball, well, a couple of years ago when the PC game market started drying up I resorted to playing games on the 360 and I still complained, but, a couple of years later I find myself much more adept to using an analog controller and have incorporated one into my PC. After getting severe wrist pain playing DAO on my PC I picked it up for my 360 and find it more comfy. I still only do FPS on the PC and will always use my trackball and KB for that, but for everything else I find myself liking the controller better.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
For years (maybe decades?) I was always bitching about console controllers and PC game 2 console ports sucking because I needed a KB and a trackball, well, a couple of years ago when the PC game market started drying up I resorted to playing games on the 360 and I still complained, but, a couple of years later I find myself much more adept to using an analog controller and have incorporated one into my PC. After getting severe wrist pain playing DAO on my PC I picked it up for my 360 and find it more comfy. I still only do FPS on the PC and will always use my trackball and KB for that, but for everything else I find myself liking the controller better.

I think a lot of "hardcore" PC gamers would think you're insane for using a trackball, but I know one or two people myself who play shooters with a trackball. Just goes to show that with enough practice, you can be good with anything. Although I think trackballs let you aim more precisely than with an analog stick. Still, I'm sure the best console Call of Duty players would probably kick my ass even if I had a keyboard and mouse.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Last console I used regularly was the Sega Genesis.
I am very fussy about my interface though, I need a good mechanical keyboard, ideally a Model M, but I'm happy with my Das 2 as well...

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
You're not alone.

Third Person Games, Platformers, and Racing games are the only thing I can play with a gamepad. Everything else I stick with KB+mouse because it's so much easier and much smoother and accurate. Also the reflex ceiling is much higher on KBM than on Gamepad. On the gamepad I used to top out at about 100+ actions a minute. On the Keyboard/Mouse it's the same just I have alot more keys to press and it requires more "finger finesse."

Although I admit using WASD for vehicle controls is subpar compared to the sticks. But mouse based steering closes the gap. And gamepads are much better for moving on the Y axis(left & right). But the Mouse + Keyboard sync nicely and nullify the advantage. Especially when comparing Circle Strafing from PC vs Console.