Am I the only one??

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
Am I the only one that has been PC gaming for so long that I cant get used to console game pads. I cant stand Analog sticks!!!! Am I the only one or am I just getting old and cant adjust? I think If I ever get a console I would need a mouse and keyboard adapter.

ra990

Aug 18, 2005
Agreed...tried to play COD on friend's XBOX and just couldn't do it.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I hardly play games on consoles either so yeah I'm not used to using anything outside keyboard+mouse. I occasionally play GTAIV with the Logitech Rumblepad and it's a supreme PITA to accurately shoot anything. I won't even try it with FPS games.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
When consoles got rid of original Nintendo gamepad i could not use them. The N64 controller was the worst.

It just feels wrong playing on a controller vs a kb/mouse

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Bad message subject. Try saying something about game pads in it, instead of having no indication of the topic - in the topic field.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Depends I do my PC racing games with a controller but most game I have to use a KB/Mouse

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
For the most part i'm in the same boat but laura croft guardian light was actually fun to use the controller (on the pc) as well as darksider. I think part of it is that both those games make it easy to remember which button does what and they both played well with the controller. Usually I prefer kb/mouse. The other game i had problem with kb/m that worked well with the controller was prince of persia time of sand but that was quite a while ago.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I have tried to like consoles, but then I keep going back to the mouse / keyboard, but more importantly all of the community made mods. Many games (like Oblivion / Morrowind) should never be played without them.

Also, all of the current games I play are PC exclusives, so even if I liked consoles better, I would not be able to play them.

Feb 4, 2009
I simply don't understand why consoles refuse to support keyboard & mouse, they already have Bluetooth or even make them like a proprietary controller that they could sell for $75. Why do the refuse more accessory sales?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I simply don't understand why consoles refuse to support keyboard & mouse, they already have Bluetooth or even make them like a proprietary controller that they could sell for $75. Why do the refuse more accessory sales?

I still got my Dreamcast's official Keyboard and Mouse, but you know what... now that I think about it I don't recall a single game that made use of them, at least not in my own DC games library (about 10 games or so back then), I THINK that Chu Chu Rocket supported both (KB and Mouse), I don't think that Q3A or even UT supported them either, I do remember using both for the DC's web-browser but that's about it. But anyway, more on-topic, I for one couldn't really get used to them anymore until about a few years ago when I and a few friends decided to just play some Console games, so we used the gamepads of course and at first it felt awkward, as if I never played a Console game with a gamepad in my whole life. It was just a question of time though, and re-adaptation. The other way around was true back when I was only a Console gamer, I just couldn't understand how games could be played with so many keys (for some reason I thought that PC games made use of all the Keyboard keys hehe)... ah... good memories.

Anyway, the thing is I still own various Consoles, and of course games, and obviously their gamepads, and I play them from time to time. I don't mind playing side-scrollers, or early pseudo/semi-3D games (mostly on the Saturn and PlayStation, like Metal Gear Solid, the original, for instance, or other polygonal but with top-views or different fixed angles and so on). The only games I still usually have problems playing with a gamepad are FPS games, mostly due to the aiming, but also just doing everything in the heat of action, it's just not like it was before. I seriously kicked some serious arse back then on my XBOX with Halo, co-operation or not I would just almost never miss my targets, sticky grenades would end up on my targets 9 times out of 10... it was nicely done... but today... whoa, nope, just not like it was.

As a side note, there are two types of games that I cannot play comfortably at all with a Keyboard and a Mouse, namely racing and combat games. I actually HAD to buy a USB gamepad so I could finally kill my opponents in SFIV, so I went on eBay and bought the MadCatz SFIV one (Ken), and it's absolutely amazing, it reminds me a lot of the first Sega Genesis' gamepad model (in terms of buttons layout), and its size and general design is just almost perfect, only thing I don't really like are the left and right shoulder buttons, for some strange reason we have to put the pressure on the "top corner" of them to get that clicking, it's not like it was with the SNES shoulders for instance... difficult to describe with words but anyway, it's still decent, I got used to it, it's the best PC gamepad I could find to play Console ports, and I wouldn't imagine myself trying to play the only two racing games I own on my PC without it, ever.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
It's just what you're used to. After years of console gaming I found going back to a mouse to be awkward. But now I'm fine with both.

Obsy

Apr 28, 2009
Gamepads sucked except for that one time I played Force Unleashed.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
It takes time to get used to a controller just like it took time to get good with kb/mouse. Don't give up.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
fps is impossible on a controller for me. everything else i can get by just fine.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008

Because l337 console gamers who think that Black Ops with a controller is hardcore gaming would quit when all the PC gamers come over and destroy them.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I got used to them playing Dark Sector on PS3 and Crackdown on the 360.

Like anything else, including writing good thread titles, it just takes practice.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Because l337 console gamers who think that Black Ops with a controller is hardcore gaming would quit when all the PC gamers come over and destroy them.

This. If they supported keyboard and mouse it would become a requirement for everyone who wanted to play them online.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Im finding it hard,currently getting my ass whooped by my nephew on black ops xbox:mad::D

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Learning to aim quickly and precisely with your right thumb is the toughest thing about it. Once you get that down your skill will skyrocket on consoles, but it might take a year or two, maybe more, if you don't play everyday.

Feb 4, 2009
This. If they supported keyboard and mouse it would become a requirement for everyone who wanted to play them online.

Good it would just mean more proprietary keyboard/mouse sales or balance it somehow auto assist aim for controller and none for kb. I still don't understand why not add them it would sell more add ons and games.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
It doesn't take long to get used to gaming on a controller. It's never going to be as accurate as a KB/M, but it's definitely not as bad as some people make out.

PC gamers are funny like that - they're really the ultimate hypocrites. PC gamers cry and bitch and moan that games are being "dumbed down" and that it no longer requires and dedication or skill etc etc etc. Yet most of them won't put in the few hours it takes to get used to a controller - they'd rather bitch and moan about how difficult and inaccurate it is.

edit: I'll also add that most PC gamers are forgetting how hard KB/M controls are to get used to for beginners. I had a ridiculous time getting used to it many years ago - and that memory comes back to me every time I stick a complete beginner in front of my PC and see them struggle to coordinate the KB/M without looking like a drunk down syndrome patient.

Last edited:

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
It doesn't take long to get used to gaming on a controller. It's never going to be as accurate as a KB/M, but it's definitely not as bad as some people make out.

PC gamers are funny like that - they're really the ultimate hypocrites. PC gamers cry and bitch and moan that games are being "dumbed down" and that it no longer requires and dedication or skill etc etc etc. Yet most of them won't put in the few hours it takes to get used to a controller - they'd rather bitch and moan about how difficult and inaccurate it is.

edit: I'll also add that most PC gamers are forgetting how hard KB/M controls are to get used to for beginners. I had a ridiculous time getting used to it many years ago - and that memory comes back to me every time I stick a complete beginner in front of my PC and see them struggle to coordinate the KB/M without looking like a drunk down syndrome patient.

So I'm a hypocrite for choosing to not play with inferior controls? Why would I want to take the time to do that?

Emultra

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2002
Mike, I bet you could eventually get used to player Mario games with a steering wheel and pedals, too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.