Am I supposed to tip the grocery delivery guy?

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
why does it matter if you're supposed to?

if you want to go ahead.

I'm just wondering what etiquette dictates. I'm already paying a $8 delivery fee.

imported_Strang

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2001
The one time we used Safeway's home delivery service, the guy showed up literally 6 hours late without calling (mind you, this was 11:30pm on a Monday night) and left the stuff on my doorstep (instead of bringing it in and putting it on the counter like they're supposed to). He also muttered an apology at the very end as he was turning away -- I didn't tip, heh, and I won't use their service again.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Sifl
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
why does it matter if you're supposed to?

if you want to go ahead.

I'm just wondering what etiquette dictates. I'm already paying a $8 delivery fee.

heh, like I said.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i was a cashier myself.

i think a dollar or two couldn't hurt. i'd probably give a dollar myself. the delivery guy gets $3 per order from the supermarket.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Strang
The one time we used Safeway's home delivery service, the guy showed up literally 6 hours late without calling (mind you, this was 11:30pm on a Monday night) and left the stuff on my doorstep (instead of bringing it in and putting it on the counter like they're supposed to). He also muttered an apology at the very end as he was turning away -- I didn't tip, heh, and I won't use their service again.

Ouch. Well I had $30 off in coupons so I decided to try it. I miss webvan, those were the days..

DJFuji

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
what about the guy who comes to tow your car that just crapped itself? Esp the "complimentary tow" paid for by AAA membership? I tipped $5 earlier this week, but i actually had a bill for $60 because i ended up having to tow it 19 miles and AAA only covered the first 7...

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: OMGoddess
If you want to go ahead. It's your money, you're not obliged to do something you don't want to.

I have been towed many times through AAA and have never tipped the driver. They make pretty good money.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Well, I tipped him $4 even though he profusely said they're not allowed to accept tips. Didn't seem to take much convincing though.

Now I hope he doesn't come rob me, his gang tattoos made me squirm.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
I had grocery gateway delivered a few times.. and the first time you do it they call and check up on how it went. They made sure that i did NOT tip their delivery guys because thats what the delivery charge goes towards. The delivery guys get in trouble for taking the tips.. atleast from this company.