Am I stupid or something?

Zoltarc

Sep 11, 2000
I have read bucket loads of articles on unlocking the Thunderbird/Duron and they are all using the frigging Asus A7V or Abit KT7 :|.

Maybe I'm just stupid but you don't NEED these motherboards. All you have to do is join/cut the bridges you need to set the multiplier? Example if I want to go from 750 to 850 all I need to do is join the correct bridges?

The reason for this is I have a motherboard that won't allow me to change the multiplier so I can't join all the bridges up at once :(

paulip88

Aug 15, 2000
You are absolutely correct. You can do it by a lot of experimentation cutting and connecting the bridges to adjust everything. This will work. Only thing is that you'll spend most of your time reinstalling your CPU. Oh yeah. You'll also need to find a way to cut the bridges.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
lol, get a co2 laser and cut the bridges :) good luck cutting them with a knife, it will just dull the blade out...only other thing i can think of to cut them is a dremel

Zone

Oct 10, 1999
Ok, so now maybe I'm stupid or something.

I thought you had to have one of the Motherboards AND join those connections to OC.

Is it one or the other? I was just about to order an Abit KT7 and a T-Bird 800. I've decided to wait until the prices come down next week for the T-Bird. However, if I have the Abit, do I have to do any surgery on the T-Bird to overclock?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
you wont have to cut anything, just connect the l1 bridges if they are not alreay connected.

Compellor

Oct 1, 2000
Why not just buy a motherboard that supports changing the CPU multiplier? The Abit KT7 is one of the sweetest mobo's out there for overclocking. Pencil in those L1 bridges and you're set!:D

Zoltarc

Sep 11, 2000
Where I live, New Zealand, the A7V are $400 and there are no KA7/KT7s they are all sold out :( So I had to get a differnet mobo. I might sell my current on and get a real one but I don't really need them. I have a T/Bird 750 and a 850 uses the same bridge configuration, almost. If I overclock to 850 I only need to join bridges not cut them. Same with 950/1050 etc

Well every site I've check bridge diagrams tell me this. But they are all use the A7V/KT7 so they just join the bridges and play. A wussy way to overclock if you ask me :D

dkozloski

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Joining the bridges does not do anything in itself. It enables the appropriate motherboard to change the programming of the multiplier by completing the connection from the CPU pins to internal circuits in the chip. If the motherboard does not have the capability to program the CPU you will be forced to do wiring, soldering, and the like.

Zoltarc

Sep 11, 2000
You tell differnet from what paulip88 said!

"Joining the bridges does not do anything in itself. It enables the appropriate motherboard to change the programming of the multiplier by completing the connection from the CPU pins to internal circuits in the chip. If the motherboard does not have the capability to program the CPU you will be forced to do wiring, soldering, and the like"

Well if all the bridges are joined when AMD make the CPU, then they are cut using a C02 laser, then the CPU has a preset multiplier (eg in my case 100x7.5).

Take a look here

For a 750 this is what I need. This is what I have.

L3 - dot open closed closed open
L4 - dot closed open open closed
L6 - dot open closed closed open

Now look at a 950 (100x9.5)

L3 - dot open closed closed open
L4 - dot open closed open closed
L6 - dot open closed open open

If I cut/join the right ones and start my PC, voltage will travel through the briges the BOIS will read it and display 100*9.5

dkozloski

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You are right but you have to redo it everytime you want to change settings. That is why people just connect all the bridges and use a motherboard that has switches you can program.

paulip88

Aug 15, 2000
Celstar,

> There's a lot of misinformation here, paulip.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. What I was saying is that an OC *CAN* be accomplished by just connecting and cutting the bridges. This is not a good way to do it, but it would work. The reason behind this is that the bridges affect what the CPU tells the board it wants. So if you properly adjust the bridges, you can make the CPU tell the board that it is something else. Thus, the autodetected settings can be changed.

This is not, however, an easy way to do it. If you plan on doing this, you will want to have an A7V or ABit so you can figure out the top speed of the chip along with the voltage. This would eliminate the long hours that would be spent retooling the bridges for each setting.