Am I having a Heart attack???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: element®
Hey speaking of heart attacks I was once in the hospital and following surgery in the recovery room I had these immense chest pains, everytime I tried to breathe in it hurt like hell, so I was breathing as shallow as I could to avoid the pain, they said my heart rate went too low, cause may be air entering the blood stream, loss of blood or something along those lines. (was in surgery for a few hours, not heart related surgery)

They gave me some IV med to raise the heart rate, but I can't remember the name of it, I think it may begin with an R? So what kind of meds do you give to raise someone's heartrate?

Bradycardia, or just a low heart rate?
Atropine and Epinephrine are two code drugs to raise heart rate, but I doubt they would ever use them in your situation. Rythmol is used to return the heart rate to normal, but it's an antiarrhythmic drug.

I would say Epi more makes the heart pump REALLY hard more than raise the heart rate...makes it clench down harder. Correct me if im wrong.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Hey speaking of heart attacks I was once in the hospital and following surgery in the recovery room I had these immense chest pains, everytime I tried to breathe in it hurt like hell, so I was breathing as shallow as I could to avoid the pain, they said my heart rate went too low, cause may be air entering the blood stream, loss of blood or something along those lines. (was in surgery for a few hours, not heart related surgery)

They gave me some IV med to raise the heart rate, but I can't remember the name of it, I think it may begin with an R? So what kind of meds do you give to raise someone's heartrate?

Atropine and Epinephrine are two code drugs to raise heart rate, but I doubt they would ever use them in your situation. Rythmol is used to return the heart rate to normal, but it's an antiarrhythmic drug.

I would say Epi more makes the heart pump REALLY hard more than raise the heart rate...makes it clench down harder. Correct me if im wrong.

You are correct. It's the first drug administered after a 3-shock fail in a VF/PVT.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Rythmol that's the one! I knew it began with an R. Thanks DrNoobie. Just low heart rate I think. What is Bradycardia? I wasn't diagnosed with any heart problems, it was only temporary. They did some blood work and found no permanent heart damage. Something about an enzyme that would indicate that. They tested the cholesterol levels and both HDL and LDL were way too low, lower than normal (I was on a low protien diet). So I went back to eating more protien afterwards, eggs and such.

Raiden256

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2001
So did you live or what?

:)

You are correct. It's the first drug administered after a 3-shock fail in a VF/PVT.
"Shock, Shock, Shock. Everybody Shock. Little Shock, Big Shock. Mama Shock, Papa Shock."

;)