Am I delusional, or is Far Cry 2 an absolutely horrible game?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mauri

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Originally posted by: brxndxn
I can't really get into it.. the graphics are awesome.. but it really doesn't seem like Farcry at all to me.. and Farcry is one of my favorite games.

Far Cry 2 is hard for me to take seriously.. Finding a diamond is too annoying.. so I just shoot everyone I see on 'hard' mode. Seems fun enough for short periods..
I really can't get into it either, for pretty much the same reasons. I've had the game since last December, I think, and I've tried to get into it about three times. Just mindlessly boring driving from point A to point B, plus a brief firefight.

This sums it up for me as well.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
I really enjoyed the first ~20 hours of the game. When I realized the formula was never going to change, playing became a tedious chore.

I think it would've been a much better game if they made checkpoints spawn less frequently and used the cell phone for ALL missions. That would drastically reduce the amount of needless driving.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Not the greatest game, but a good mod could potentially turn it into a brilliant game. IMO it would be much better if you chose one of the two sides, and then the mercs on your side wouldn't attack you, and there would be battles between the two factions.

The game had some really cool parts, like when you get attacked on the barge at the start of the 2nd map or when you have to escape the village right before that. There's just waaaayyy too much filler combat in between.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
I agree, it has some of the worst gameplay ever. It somehow got decent/high reviews from the mainstream game sites which I makes me wonder if anyone actually played through the whole thing.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
i guess that i never finished it and havent played it in 2 months says something, but I got deep into the second map. I actually enjoyed it. I liked feeling lost out there and having to get around. I know the camps respawned to quickly, but that at least made it interesting and caused more firefights.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I agree with most of you here, good looking game but the enemy respawn really killed it for me. I played about 4 hours and then called it quites. Lukily I got it for $15 from gogamer but I still think it was not worth it.

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
I forgot I even had this game...now that you brought it up I want to say that it was a total letdown...The reviews had me hyped to play this, I loaded it up, spent an hour or so waiting for the story to start...then realized that the story had started...wow...

This was one of the most boring games I ever played...but congrats, they got fire right...wooo...

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
BladeVenom:

Hilarious! And spot on.

I actually ditched Far Cry 2 and played through Crysis Warhead (another cheap pick up), which I thought was amazing. Story kept me interested, music was great (as opposed to annoying to the point I turned it off in the case of Far Cry 2), something I rarely notice, but the graphics, good lord, spectacular! Especially those "frozen" sequences. I mean Far Cry 2 has pretty good graphics (sunrises and sunsets are spectacular), but after a while it just gets mundane, the fact that games like Warhead (or Half Life 2 is another good example) takes you places and forces you to see the things they made, that really makes you go "wow". Good examples in recent memory are in Fallout 3, when you just come out of the Vault and you get that sweeping vista of the wasteland. And many sequences in HL2, particularly in Ep 2, when you get a far off view of that swirling portal, along with reflections off of the puddle in front of you.

Maybe I just enjoy tightly scripted linear games, but that doesn't mean "sandbox" games can't be enjoyed (take GTA, or even SimCity, the oldest sandbox game of all). I feel what Far Cry 2 lacks, as pointed out by that video BladeVenom linked to, is a sense that anything is being accomplished by what you do in the game.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Far Cry 2 is over rated. Repetitive wanna be GTA that has nothing to do with far cry. Erased out of my hard drive after 2 days of play. It's not worth wasting your precious life time to play some crappy game.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
exactly, the fact that it has nothing to do with the 1st far cry and tags along that name anyway makes this game a "no play" for me

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
this game is pretty well know for sucking if you read the comments by most people on forums like this. I wouldn't even play it if they were giving it away.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
This game sucked ass, one of the few game purchases I've made over the last couple of years that I deeply regret. The game looks great, but the gameplay began to bore me to tears after about 4-5 hours, tried to get back into it a couple of times, but just can't do it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The title is actually fitting, as the game is a far cry i.e. disappointing disparity, from the first one.

wrangler

Nov 13, 1999
I did wait and only paid $10 to pick it up off of the forums but I have to say, it's not that bad. I am a fan of the sandbox stuff though so.....

I agree that it gets repetitive but I've found that I really like just jumping in for an hour or so and blasting some guys or setting something on fire.........

I could see the people that shelled out $50 being a little pissed though.

AshPhoenix

Mar 12, 2008
I couldn't complete Far Cry 2 due to a major bug that happened to many others too (I can't rescue a prisoner because the door won't open ). After more than 6 months since the game release, there is no patch to fix this bug :roll: