Aluminum cell phone cases *update with mini review*

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
I was curious whether using an aluminum case on your cell phone would degrade the cell or bluetooth signal at all. I've read comments on various forums with conflicting stories.

Anyone have experience with problems related to aluminum cases?

I was thinking of buying THIS case for my E62.

thanks

DnetMHZ

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Depends on where the antenna is, and the size and shape of the case.

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
I agree that antenna style is critical. It could actually improve your reception.

Edit: after looking at some pics, I think there would be little or no effect.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: So
Depends on where the antenna is, and the size and shape of the case.

The E62 has 2 internal antennae, this particular case appears to have some cutouts on the upper back side in the area of one of the antennas. Not sure if this will help/hurt.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
*Update*

Well the case came yesterday from Boxwave (Link in the original post) and it looks like my fears were correct. Just doing some basic tests here in my office.
I place the phone down in a certain spot on my desk and it has a steady 3 bars of signal. I then put it in the case and put it back in the same exact spot and the
signal drops off to nothing. I repeated this a few times in different spots with the same result. On the plus side I don't have to worry about it getting scratched now!

The case itself is very nicely made, lined with neoprene to absorb shock. It does add a bit bulk to the phone which is to be expected, and access to the top 2 menu buttons just below the screen is a bit limited but they are not unusable. I will not be using the optional screw on button/belt clip. Given the size of the phone and how much the belt clip makes it stick out from your side it looks completely stupid. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to keep the case and just put up with the little annoyances.

I should note that I don't use the E62 as a phone 99% of the time, it's mainly just for email and web browsing so I'm not at all worried about missing calls, etc.

That's about it for my quick little review, hopefully this is helpful to someone.

DnetMHZ