Alright Gun Guys I have a question for you

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Can you just tell me what I'm supposed to be mad at? I hate clicking on facebook videos. :D

Feb 4, 2009
Can you just tell me what I'm supposed to be mad at? I hate clicking on facebook videos. :D

Super angry guy being a super angry guy while a dweebish looking guy sits silently in his car. I know long videos are a pain in the ass, I know Facebook video's are the worst. Just try it out.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Jan 25, 2011
That's one old video. It was a marine named Joshua Brightman who was charged for the incident. The belief was he was suffering from PTSD, in this case intermittent anger disorder, which lead to the explosive outburst. He was medically discharged for a hand wound and went into counselling.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/apr/11/dad-road-rage-marine-says-son-counseling-video/

As an aside the passenger filming in that video was also a marine vet who was paralyzed from the waist down. The driver was her brother and caregiver.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
why does he go super ape shit as soon as there's people there to hold him back, was he waiting for an audience?

Feb 4, 2009
I can tell from your persuasion skills that you sell speakers out of a plain white van.

No I've sold all kinds of stuff I'm too tired to sell stuff or talk pain points or plant seeds of doubt or success on AT

*I'm sure I could sell speakers provided comp & quality was there.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
That's one old video. It was a marine named Joshua Brightman who was charged for the incident. The belief was he was suffering from PTSD, in this case intermittent anger disorder, which lead to the explosive outburst. He was medically discharged for a hand wound and went into counselling.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/apr/11/dad-road-rage-marine-says-son-counseling-video/

As an aside the passenger filming in that video was also a marine vet who was paralyzed from the waist down. The driver was her brother and caregiver.

Cool. Sue the gov for putting this guy on the streets.

devBunny

Sep 12, 2017
why does he go super ape shit as soon as there's people there to hold him back, was he waiting for an audience?

That's certainly a possibility.

Another is energy levels. His frustration was continually building, due the lack of response, but time was sapping his energy - he'd been flagging for the last minute or so. The presence of more people served to revive his energy and he stepped it up, although he faded fast again.

Yet another possibility is that he recognised that, with three men homing in on him, the game was just about over and the increase in aggression was a last ditch effort to "get his man".

A final possibility, the one that I thought of before I watched the video (in response to your question) is that sometimes a person wants to display aggression but not follow through.

While there was no-one there to constrain him, he made gestures (shouting, arm waving, carefully controlled kicks at the door) but did nothing definitively violent (door-bashing kicks, breaking the glass). When he went around to the front he didn't even bash the car's hood and on the passenger's side he made no attempt to use the gap in the window other than to make himself heard better, (although that could have been due to it being a female and/or not his prime target).

When the three men came along he was able to step up the apparent aggression safely, in the knowledge that he wouldn't be allowed - and therefore wouldn't have to commit - an actual act of violence.

Note that he didn't turn his anger on the other men, which was certainly an option. That has several possible reasons but the one that fits this story is that he wasn't actually looking for a fight.

If you're interested enough to watch the video again, do any of these narratives seem to fit?

Reactions: KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
That's certainly a possibility.

Another is energy levels. His frustration was continually building, due the lack of response, but time was sapping his energy - he'd been flagging for the last minute or so. The presence of more people served to revive his energy and he stepped it up, although he faded fast again.

Yet another possibility is that he recognised that, with three men homing in on him, the game was just about over and the increase in aggression was a last ditch effort to "get his man".

A final possibility, the one that I thought of before I watched the video (in response to your question) is that sometimes a person wants to display aggression but not follow through.

While there was no-one there to constrain him, he made gestures (shouting, arm waving, carefully controlled kicks at the door) but did nothing definitively violent (door-bashing kicks, breaking the glass). When he went around to the front he didn't even bash the car's hood and on the passenger's side he made no attempt to use the gap in the window other than to make himself heard better, (although that could have been due to it being a female and/or not his prime target).

When the three men came along he was able to step up the apparent aggression safely, in the knowledge that he wouldn't be allowed - and therefore wouldn't have to commit - an actual act of violence.

Note that he didn't turn his anger on the other men, which was certainly an option. That has several possible reasons but the one that fits this story is that he wasn't actually looking for a fight.

If you're interested enough to watch the video again, do any of these narratives seem to fit?
I'll go with a combination of all 3...

devBunny

Sep 12, 2017
I'll go with a combination of all 3...

He he. I agree. Motivation is rarely as simple as it looks. But I'd make it a combination of all 4 as your idea of "audience presence" can be a powerful factor. :)

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
1st the video is about 3 minutes long, honestly you can skip minute #2
2nd does anyone in this video deserve to be shot?
3rd Should angry man be able to own a gun assuming this video was shared with the Police.

2) No, not that I can see.
3) Absolutely, provided he doesn't have a felony conviction. How do you know he didn't have a gun in his car or on his person anyway? Wanting to punch someone and wanting to kill someone are totally different.

Jul 9, 2009
#1 I watched the whole thing.
#2 No
#3 Depends on if he was tried and convicted of a felony or a violent misdemeanor or judged mentally defective or used a lawfully controlled substance.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
1st the video is about 3 minutes long, honestly you can skip minute #2
2nd does anyone in this video deserve to be shot?
3rd Should angry man be able to own a gun assuming this video was shared with the Police.

Assumptions, lets assume this is a regular traffic accident, just a few boo-boo's and bruises.

https://www.facebook.com/TechGrime.net/videos/1877646735813966/

*Warning not work appropriate audio*
No audio at work, what exactly was he so pissed off at? Curious that he'd be losing his shit like that if he could (very clearly) see a marine cover in the window sill. Maybe it was a safer space for him to push that hard than if it was a civvy.

Anyhow, of course he shouldn't have been shot, and unless he was convicted of a felony, of course he should be permitted to own a firearm (per his 2nd amendment rights). He very clearly wasn't a true threat considering he didn't bother to try to actually get into the vehicle at any point (aside from jiggling the handle at one point? which didn't seem very enthusiastic). I'm impressed by the driver's composure though, I would have just taken a photo of the license plate and driven off and filed a report later than sit through that garbage fire.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
There is nothing wrong with facebook videos. Unless they are shot vertically then they are scourge of mankind.

And that guy needs some Cannabis or Psychoactive therapy ASAP.