Question Already another Windows thing? Mouse stutter

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Recently, my cursor started to not always complete a movement. It always starts but sometimes before it gets where it's aimed it stops and sort of stutters. It does not feel like a hardware issue like a dirty mouse, it feels like a software issue.

I googled a little and found turn off cursor acceleration, it reduced it a bit but didn't fix it. It's no longer as annoying as it was, but seems like a good idea to see if there's an idea of the cause and fix.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had that issue, early on, with Ryzen (Zen 1) CPUs, when overclocked, there was something about the system, when overclocked like I did (potentially with an immature BIOS), that things in the system just weren't "synchronized" and smooth. Sure, benchmarks were higher when OCed, but the system felt "smoothest" at stock speed. So I clocked it back down to stock.

It could be your video drivers too. Or your USB ports. Or possibly malware.

I would disable any overclocks, possibly do a CMOS_CLR reset with the jumper on your mobo (with power off and removed).

Is this in games, specifically, or in Windows Desktop / browsing?

Honestly, you say it's not like a "dirty mouse", but sometimes, optical mice fail electronically. My current "gaming" mouse (a Rosewill, that has served me well), has a mis-behaving wheel, that when I scroll, it scrolls, scrolls back, it's basically useless to use. And half the time I middle-click it, it scrolls out from under me, without middle-clicking what I want it to.

I'll replace it, eventually, when one of the buttons starts non-clicking or double-clicking, or the wheel fails entirely, but until then, I'm living with it.

Edit: Are you using a Mouse Pad? There was a decently-cheap Rosewill mouse pad for $6.99 @ Newegg yesterday, maybe it's still available?

OOS, currently.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Using Intel, not Ryzen. It happens both in game and browsing, but is intermittent. The Mouse is a year or less old I think. I'm using a sort of very premium mousepad, around $75 not made anymore. It's "Machined Billet Aluminum" I've used for 10 years+. Windows says the best mouse drive is installed, anyway.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, other than:
1) Replacing the mouse, even temporarily with another similar one, and see if the symptoms cease,
2) Replace the mouse pad (unlikely, unless it's developed a sort of "surface gloss", and the mouse is losing tracking),
3) Plug the mouse into a different USB port (Plug'N'Pray)
4) Take a Q-Tip and some isopropyl alchohol and clean the mouse sensor on the bottom? (Unplug it first, in case it's a laser mouse. They are low-power, but that doesn't mean that they can't cause some optical damage to your eyes if you look directly into the laser.)

Or maybe you're right, and this is all some sort of software issue, for some reason. Either your interrupt-priority got disturbed somehow (some new device installed), or you have something running in the background, taking up a lot of CPU time.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have recently noticed that my Mouse stutters after Waking my PC. It's almost as if my USB bus is being hammered or something. My HD light seems far busier than usual during those times. I'm sort of thinking that a Windows Update, perhaps some Exploit Scan might be the culprit. Might not be related to your situation though.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
An example: a minute ago, the cursor was next to an icon on the task bar. I moved it over the icon, it didn't move over it but shuddered a little. Second time, it shuddered then jumped to the other side of the screen. After that, it worked.

Then moving it across the screen it jumped back a bit. Then it worked fine a lot of tests.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
An example: a minute ago, the cursor was next to an icon on the task bar. I moved it over the icon, it didn't move over it but shuddered a little. Second time, it shuddered then jumped to the other side of the screen. After that, it worked.

Then moving it across the screen it jumped back a bit. Then it worked fine a lot of tests.
That honestly sounds like the optical sensor / controller-chipset in the mouse is just ... going.. It happens. Try with another wired mouse, IMHO, and if it STILL does it, then investigate your software environment.

I assume this is a wired mouse, right? Because if it's wireless, then... well the issue is just wireless mice in general, or you need to replace the batteries, or re-orient the receiver, or change the wireless channel (if possible on your device).

Feb 4, 2009
Slightly off topic, two days ago my mouse started to require two or three clicks most of the time.
I know typically that means the mouse is wearing out however this mouse is only 2 months old. I’ve tried the windows click settings either fast or slow same result.
Have I missed anything?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
re-orienting the wireless receiver: I recommend pointing the receiver more or less at the mouse for best performance. Run a USB extension lead if need be (e.g. if you want to use a rear port or if the chassis is nowhere near the mouse).

If you've got a spare corded mouse, see whether the problem occurs with that?

Run a scan with malwarebytes? I also wonder whether a dodgy browser extension could cause problems like this (I'm inclined to think not, but perhaps a dodgy extension coupled with a buggy device driver?).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Slightly off topic, two days ago my mouse started to require two or three clicks most of the time.
I know typically that means the mouse is wearing out however this mouse is only 2 months old. I’ve tried the windows click settings either fast or slow same result.
Have I missed anything?

Any changes lately in devices that might make a conflict? Can you try a different mouse?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
re-orienting the wireless receiver: I recommend pointing the receiver more or less at the mouse for best performance. Run a USB extension lead if need be (e.g. if you want to use a rear port or if the chassis is nowhere near the mouse).

If you've got a spare corded mouse, see whether the problem occurs with that?

Run a scan with malwarebytes? I also wonder whether a dodgy browser extension could cause problems like this (I'm inclined to think not, but perhaps a dodgy extension coupled with a buggy device driver?).

It's a wired mouse; I don't intentionally run any browser extensions.