Alpha PAL8942 ?

cobrasvt

Jan 30, 2002
I just picked up this massive heat sink and have a quick question for those of you running this one or it Athlon brother...

What is the best way to mount the fan, blowing or sucking? What gives the best results?

lordbob99

Jun 11, 2001
hey cobrasvt,

the general consensus is that you should have the fan sucking off these heat sinks. special cases may occur, so you may want to test it both ways, but if you're lazy, just have it sucking air off the heat sink.

lordbob99

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Yeah, they are designed to work best sucking the heat off.

The 8942 is a pretty awesome heatsink compared to the old P3 version... it is like 3 or 4 times bigger.

Grendel99

Dec 12, 2000
I have the 8045 and when I set it to suck (installed it blowing), it dropped load and idle temps 1-2C. Alpha designs it to suck (hehe), so do it that way.

dejablue

Jul 10, 2001
congrats....it is a piece of art...just like the previous alpha's. i put mine on yesterday, on an msi 845 ultra mobo, with a nidec 80mm fan....27cmf, 21 dba, p4 1.7, and now all i can hear is the pos w.d. hard drive. idle@21, load @34. make it SUCK.

cobrasvt

Jan 30, 2002
Installed the Alpha yesterday! All I can say is SWEEEEEEEEET!!! This has got to be the baddest heatsink out there! Just the pure size, weight, and looks should send the heat demons running, LOL...

Took a little while to install since I had to tear out the motherboard, but well worth it! I installed it with the Sunon 39cfm 32 dba fan and boy is this thing quiet. I mean, not as quiet as the stock cooler, but MUCH quieter than the AVC Sunflower and the Thermaltake Volcano 7+

Temps dropped by about 5-8 degrees as well

Oh yeah, its sucking... It actually shows that in the instructions too!