Alonzo Mourning signing with Nets

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
On front page of Dallas Morning News Sportsday, banner reads that Mourning has spurned the Mavericks and will sign with the Nets. DMN Sports regularly wins national awards and I have learned to trust their sources, even though details haven't been posted yet.

pic

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Well thats good news for Nets fans like myself, but until he signs his name on the dotted line...

Makes you wonder if the Nets are going to do anymore trades? If Alonzo actually does sign that gives them 3 centers, with Collins and Mutumbo. Now next year I think the Nets will try to bring over Krstic their draft pick from last year, he's a center.

That would give the Nets 4 centers. Now Mutumbo would be in the last year of his contract would the Nets trade with someone else that wants cap relief? Maybe for Sprewell next year?

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Have to remember though that Mourning has only played in 88 games in the last three years...no sure thing he'll last the season...if he can, they should win the East again..

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: NeoV
Have to remember though that Mourning has only played in 88 games in the last three years...no sure thing he'll last the season...if he can, they should win the East again..

Well I think he'll play around 25 minutes with 10 pts 8 reb and 1.5 blocks. I dont think you can expect much more than that...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
What's worse is that this makes it more difficult for the Nugs to sign a quality pg. The heat and possible the Mavs will go after Arenas and Miller now.

YaKuZa

Aug 26, 2000
With Scott's dumb coaching, we should see Mourning for about 5 minutes during the 82 games and then another 15 minutes in the playoffs just so Mourning can stretch his legs out a little bit.

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: CPA
What's worse is that this makes it more difficult for the Nugs to sign a quality pg. The heat and possible the Mavs will go after Arenas and Miller now.

Why would the Mavs need another pg? Nash and Van Exel are a good tandem... They need some one like PJ Brown who can do the dirty work. They dont need another scorer.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Storm

Why would the Mavs need another pg? Nash and Van Exel are a good tandem... They need some one like PJ Brown who can do the dirty work. They dont need another scorer.

yep, no need to worry about Arenas or Miller going to Dallas. Glad to see assuming Mourning can return to old form or close to it, the East might have a formidable opponent for the West.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: nitsuj3580

yep, no need to worry about Arenas or Miller going to Dallas. Glad to see assuming Mourning can return to old form or close to it, the East might have a formidable opponent for the West.

Kidd and the Mourning of old along with K-Mart and everyone would be one strong team.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: nitsuj3580

Oops, I meant Spurs, not Mavs :eek:

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
it bugs me that such a garbage franchise like the nets is such a powerhouse in the east.

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Originally posted by: Kev
it bugs me that such a garbage franchise like the nets is such a powerhouse in the east.

What do you mean by "garbage"?

just ignore that guy, i don't think he likes very many teams in the nba.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
As a Mav's fan, I am heartbroken that we aren't getting Mourning. He must have looked at the Lakers and decided the East was his only way to the finals. From what's left, I hope the Mavs consider PJ Brown and Nesterovic, though I think Brown is going to get much bigger options than the MLE from other teams and won't sign in Dallas. Sigh!

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
I think the mavs would be better off with brown instead of nest, he's a boarder who plays some d. Thats what the mavs need at this point.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Agree. But Brown hasn't come out and said he is willing to take a pay cut to play for a possible championship. He'll get more than $4.9mil somewhere else. The Mavs need to concentrate on who is likely to come here. I would make Brown an offer, but I would also give offers to Nest in case Brown turns us down. The only other C option is Brad Miller, and he doesn't excite me that much.

Originally posted by: fivespeed5
I think the mavs would be better off with brown instead of nest, he's a boarder who plays some d. Thats what the mavs need at this point.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

i mean its from new jersey, and nobody in their area gives a flying f*ck about them even though they went to the finals 2 years in a row.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: masterxfob

just ignore that guy, i don't think he likes very many teams in the nba.

where did you get that idea?

i don't like the lakers. i like the nets' team but i hate the franchise itself and its worthless fans. i don't know if that makes sense.

in other words, i wish the players on the nets played for some other team, like the knicks or celtics

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
yeah... go nets! i was actually hoping they go after brad miller, becuz he seemed to be safer gamble (mourning's health is still a little iffy). but anyway, hopefully, mourning has made a full recovery and give the nets some much needed inside help.

by the way... i kinda feel there will be some problems in LA... too many ego's... only one ball.