Almost Celebrity Deathmatch: O'Reilly vs Franken

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I want to see Hannity and Colmes gone. Instead how about O'Reilly and Franken?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I think if I were in Pat's position I would want a club for my own defense

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Well,, that was fun :D

Insane - that was a joke incase you had an etech moment;):p

However - this was billed as a beat-down of O'Reilly - I didn't think it was an overwhelming beating - but it sure was a brawl :D

CkG

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The left of center may want to watch some more b/c Ivins and Franken take calls. O'Reilly fans should call it a night b/c Bill's best is over.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Well,, that was fun :D

Insane - that was a joke incase you had an etech moment;):p

However - this was billed as a beat-down of O'Reilly - I didn't think it was an overwhelming beating - but it sure was a brawl :D

CkG

Cad, are you saying that I have no humor? ;):p etech says that is not needed and I am just a crazy neffer. ;)

Hehe.

Ok Cad, did you record that? :D

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
The left of center may want to watch some more b/c Ivins and Franken take calls. O'Reilly fans should call it a night b/c Bill's best is over.

Oh..there is more? :D

CkG

<-cues up the recorder and hope it records - i haven't checked the other file yet

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Good show!

Of the three, Molly was the most reasonable, and got a few good ones in, but she did not want to kill either of the others like Al and Bill did.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
However - this was billed as a beat-down of O'Reilly - I didn't think it was an overwhelming beating - but it sure was a brawl

Actually I thought I framed it correctly. The premise of O'Reilly's show is that HE holds the mantle of truth, justice, and the American way. O'Reilly prides himself on the ambush . . . often of the hapless. Franken set him up. If the roles were reversed and this was O'Reilly's show do you think he would accept a TV journalist not knowing what awards his show had received? O'Reilly would certainly call BS. It was an overwelming beating b/c O'Reilly could not refute the facts so he just went for the character assassination. Franken is a flaming Liberal so calling him a flaming Liberal ain't much of a come back.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Bill definately seemed out of his element. He seems like he is used to being in control, and didn't like it when he wasn't. I give him props for sitting through the entire Franken speech without interrupting. :)

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
However - this was billed as a beat-down of O'Reilly - I didn't think it was an overwhelming beating - but it sure was a brawl

Actually I thought I framed it correctly. The premise of O'Reilly's show is that HE holds the mantle of truth, justice, and the American way. O'Reilly prides himself on the ambush . . . often of the hapless. Franken set him up. If the roles were reversed and this was O'Reilly's show do you think he would accept a TV journalist not knowing what awards his show had received? O'Reilly would certainly call BS. It was an overwelming beating b/c O'Reilly could not refute the facts so he just went for the character assassination. Franken is a flaming Liberal so calling him a flaming Liberal ain't much of a come back.

Not only that, but OReilly is a control freak. Franken took control from him, and Bill was helpless. The seating arrangement was interesting. Franken could not have sat further from The Other.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Bill definately seemed out of his element. He seems like he is used to being in control, and didn't like it when he wasn't. I give him props for sitting through the entire Franken speech without interrupting. :)

Yeah, will give him that. As pissed as he was, he kept it together for all of Al's poking.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I know - but I expected more than just a "slip-up":p;) It does "hurt" O'Reilly but I think Franken went digging;) instead of just "happening to stumble across it watching c-span" ;) O'Reilly better come out with a clarification on his show - cuz Franken is going to play this to the max.:p But it quite entertaining.

CkG

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

Yeah, will give him that. As pissed as he was, he kept it together for all of Al's poking.

I give Bill O Reilly credit for not going mad and ripping out Al's throat... that was some verbal beatdown given to Bill.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I like Ivins and liked the early O'Reilly. I own one of her Bush books. I will buy all these books when they hit the bargain bin this Fall.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I can't wait to listen to Rush on Monday :p

This call in thing is kinda lame since O'Reilly isn't there. Just a rah rah Bush Bash ;)

CkG

I'll agree with that, but they did offer for him to come on, and he declined. :)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I can't wait to listen to Rush on Monday :p

This call in thing is kinda lame since O'Reilly isn't there. Just a rah rah Bush Bash ;)

CkG

I'll agree with that, but they did offer for him to come on, and he declined. :)

I know - "scheduling" ;)

Anyway - it looks as though my capture didn't work :( I got this last call in thing on but the main event was not successful. IE must have crashed part way though even though the WMP part kept going - weird:p

CkG

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
It's ok. Maybe it will be re-broadcast and I can record it. Thanks for trying....you damn liberal! ;):p

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
It's ok. Maybe it will be re-broadcast and I can record it. Thanks for trying....you damn liberal! ;):p
No problem there "Greeny" - go hug a tree ;)
:D:p

I think this is how I percieve these 3.

O'Reilly - He is a bulldog, just waiting to attack anyone and everyone, yet still knows who his master is so he bites maybe a little less frequently and with a little less vigor. Fair and Balanced? Ehhh maybe, depending on the subject I suppose. To portray him as a dirty right winger like Al was trying to paint him as - is a tad off. But hey, neither said they were perfect;) which leads to...
Ivins- Wolf in sheep's clothing. She really tried to play nice and stay "above the fray" during the panel but sheep do bite sometimes - which she did. She also tries to protray herself as an "independant person" not labeled by political views - utter hogwash. She also strikes me as an Elitist who looks down her nose at everyone. But then during the call in part, she showed herself - a wolf who joined her pack(franken) and stalked her prey from the shadows.
Franken - Uhh well.... Ummm Can you say little whiny spoiled brat?:p He probably has a point to some of his rantings, but he gets sooo caught up in them and himself that he ends up looking stupid. He spent over half his speach trying to bash O'Reilly over something that "could" have been an honest mistake. He also has no shame - it'll be interesting to read his book(if I can stomach his whining long enough to finish it). It will also be interesting to see if he can get his "liberal" show up and running, I have a feeling that it'll fall flat on it's face like the rest of the "liberal" attempts at a Rush Limbaugh type show(TV or Radio).

I don't watch O'Reilly because I don't watch TV often - maybe local news or if something cool is supposed to be on. I think Franken is a tad out of his league with his political aspirations, and would rather see him go back to comedy - which I find funny. I admit I don't know much about this Ivans broad but she strikes me as your typical author - a lot of idealism and hiding behind pages.

I'll be reading atleast 2 of the 3 books, Ivans is a maybe, only because I read "Landslide" by Mayer&McManus and I think those types of commentaries dwell on negativity. I'm not saying that things shouldn't be "aired" but they come across like a biography but with a negative slant. Aw heck - you and I both know I'll read it - who am I trying to kid :p

Seems as though the interweb hasn't killed the print industry...now has it;) :D

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Wow, his entire smoking gun is that O'Reilly called a Poke a Peabody. Oh, the horror, lives were ruined forever because of the vicious "lie."
------------------
Another right winger tries to embelish the truth with a lie. Franken's point wasn't tha O'reilly made a mistake about what award he got, but that he denied the whole thing later.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
While we may not always agree Cad, I can respect your opinions because you have a clear sense of reasoning behind them. Sometimes I think we (members who participate in this forum) get so caught up in our arguments, we forget that we can sometimes agree as well...if we take the time to listen.

Oh, and if I get a chance to record a re-broadcast, I will drop you a pm.

:)

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
If O'Reilly is on the cover of Franken's book then I hope O'Reilly gets a cut of the revenue. Anyone know if there is a law about that?

Also, it's SO obvious that Franken is using O'Reilly's fame to sell his lameass book.