Allergy suffers: Do you wear a mask when mowing? Which?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
With springtime in full swing where I live and the need to mow my yard coming up real soon, I'm dreading doing so as it's the number 1 trigger of asthma symptoms and risk of attack for me even when on meds.

So I've been looking around online for mask to wear to hopefully help or prevent this issue while mowing.

My concern is any typical 3M like mask will just be so uncomfortable to wear between being to hot, restricting air intake and fogging up my glasses.

Anyone here in the same boat with mowing that has found a good comfortable solution?

I'm even wondering if something like the face mask some bikers wear would work well but don't know if that'd actually keep the allergens out.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Mowing with allergies is evil, have someone that doesn't have allergies do it.
Any real filtering will restrict air intake somewhat, that's the nature of filtering.
All I could really say is get something with a proper seal.

Nov 5, 2001
I could just see myself falling over with heatstroke wearing something like that in the dead heat of summer. It gets so damn hot around here in the summer it's nearly impossible to mow without feeling like you're going to die from the heat alone.

Oh, I understand. They are no fun to wear in an air conditioned building even, but if your allergies are that bad...

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
why not antihistamine?

I'm on 5 prescriptions for my allergies plus doing immunotherapy (allergy) shots.

I just have THAT bad of allergies that I'm suffering worse from allergies while on my medications than the average person with allergies is without taking anything.

It's a living hell at times. There is no escape for me. It really really really sucks.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I take Allegra and it usually helps me. I make sure to not touch my eyes. I then take an immediate shower to wash off and am usually pretty good.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I think you should just pay some one to mow your lawn in your case. Either that or replace your lawn with creeping fescue.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I pay someone to mow my lawn and clean the yard once / week @ $40/month. And I don't even have allergies.

I'm a lazy ass though

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
I pay someone to mow my lawn and clean the yard once / week @ $40/month. And I don't even have allergies.

I'm a lazy ass though

Not everyone has the option to pay below minimum wage in their area. :p
That or you have a very small yard.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Well you could just wear what dessert nomads use to wear while mowing with that. :p

That's not a bad idea. I'd start with a bandanna over your face. I suspect it won't be good enough, but it's cheap to try, and likely the most comfortable solution.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I have a coworker who replaced her lawn with astro turf

Yeah...Won't fly with HOA.

But you know, I think I WILL look into a yard service this year. If I could find something for $40 a month and at least every other week cut and trim I'd do that.

Already pay $55 every other week to have my house cleaned top to bottom.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I hate mowing the lawn. Last time I did it, I couldnt see or breath for the longest time. I cant really find anything that helps with them either.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001

I'm a lazy ass though

I would pay that if they had it around here, seems like it's at least $40/week.

They sell a 3M mask at Walmart, has a slight green tint to it. Think I found them by the household stuffs, instead of the gardening area. They are better than the white paper cheapo ones and do a good job for me.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I wish it was socially acceptable to turf it up. I know my neighbors and my association would throw a poop fit.

SuperStock_1829-3015.jpg

I have allergies and the only thing that would work would be the above.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I wish it was socially acceptable to turf it up. I know my neighbors and my association would throw a poop fit.

SuperStock_1829-3015.jpg

I have allergies and the only thing that would work would be the above.

Yeah, pretty much this for me also.

I have to take my clothes off at the laundry room while coming into the house through the garage and then go straight to the shower after mowing and I'm still just done for at least the rest of that day and sometimes the following.

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
I am a lifelong pollen allergy sufferer and I can relate. Sometimes springtime can be a living hell for a while.

I have tried so many remedies - all of them offered some form of temporary relief, but my body seems to build resistance to them, so I have had to keep changing.

I am actually intrigued by the NOSK Nose Filters

has anyone actually used these before? Do they work? I know my eyes will still be itchy and burning, but if the sneezing and runny nose can be stopped - that is half the battle.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yeah...Won't fly with HOA.

But you know, I think I WILL look into a yard service this year. If I could find something for $40 a month and at least every other week cut and trim I'd do that.

Already pay $55 every other week to have my house cleaned top to bottom.

If you find someone who's willing to cut, trim, and edge the lawn for $40 a month, let me know. I paid $60 a visit or ~$320 a month for the last 5 years. I decided to self service this year after my lawn guy retired due to health reason.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
With springtime in full swing where I live and the need to mow my yard coming up real soon, I'm dreading doing so as it's the number 1 trigger of asthma symptoms and risk of attack for me even when on meds.

Move to the desert?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
If you find someone who's willing to cut, trim, and edge the lawn for $40 a month, let me know. I paid $60 a visit or ~$320 a month for the last 5 years. I decided to self service this year after my lawn guy retired due to health reason.

Been looking off and on. Even signed up for a month of Angie's List to see if I can find more options.

Have a list going now of possible companies.

Only used Angie's List one other time a few years ago to find a cleaning service and it's the cleaning service I've been using for a few years now that does a great job and is cheap compared to the rest.

So hopefully I'll have the same success with finding a lawn service.