All things being equal, will you turn left or right into a parking spot?

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Say all things being equal, theres a spot on the left and a spot on the right. Which way will you turn?

I much prefer left.... it just feels easier. Not entirely sure why, but probably because I can judge the turning angle better.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
My left hand and my right hand always fight over this. My right hand usualy wins though, because it gets most of the excersize.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
whichever one i can pull thru,so I can drive forward to leave.

I normally park,as often as possible,so I do Not need to back up to leave.

I would rather back into a spot,than back out,into a busy parking lot!
;)

Never been hit in a parking lot yet. Have been driving since Oct.1974,

OMG almost 30 years!
:Q

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
left. When I pull into my carport I circle around the parking lot just so I can turn left into it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Since I usually drive down the right side of the aisle, I'd pick the left over the right. Notfred has a good point through.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
If all things are equal, that means that you moving forward on the street is just as easy for people pointed in the opposite direction to move forward on the street, respectively. That means that you can't park on the left side of the street unless you drive on the left side of the street. Legally, your only option is to park on the right side of the street or not drive at all. :)

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
My usual parking is to the right so I'm more comfortable with that but if we weren't creatures of habit, left would be the more logical way.

Interesting question, btw. :)

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
A better question might be whether you turn to the drivers side or the passenger side since a good portion of the board is not from the USA and things may be reversed. I think it's easier to turn to the drivers side (left in the USA) since you can cut the angle a little closer to the car to that side.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
The poll results aren't surprising, since most people are right-handed, and it's easier for the right hand to turn the steering wheel counter-clockwise, than it is for the right hand to turn the wheel clockwise.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
left, because seeing as I drive on the right side on the parking lane, that means I get a wider turning radius.