All things being equal - is a Voodoo5 5500 faster than a Geforce1 DDR?

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Yes.

That v5 is actually quite respectable compared to GF1 and is probably on par somewhere between the GF2 and GF2 ultra, IMO.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Assuming the application isnt heavily T&L optimized/used more then 36MB DRAM or depends greatly on geometry performance then V5 should be faster.
This is also assuming both manufacturers drivers had time to optimize for that specific game (assuming it was a popular one).... such is definitely not a safe assume given 3dfx is not dead.

In it's prime the V5 5500 AGP usually fell between the GF1 DDR and the GF2 GTS, though a bit closer to the GTS overall.
There were a handful of situation in which either card had a definite advantage though... for the V5 that was many simulation games.

The V5 is long out of it's prime however... and present games under current marketing conditions can lead to a much different story.

I'm referring strictly to consumer 3D of course- I'd take the GF1 DDR over the V5 in a heartbeat in terms of Pro3D capabilities.
Drivers/quality/performance all fall easily on the side of nVidia in that respect.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Ok, so both perform pretty much on par with each other then? Would you consider it an upgrade or downgrade then if I already have the Voodoo5 and slap in the Geforce1 DDR instead? Is the performance difference that noticeable that it would warrant spending $20 for the exchange?

Thing is bro bought the refurbished Geforce1 DDR from Future Shop (Best Buy) and wants to jam the Geforce1 DDR down my throat and into my system, dissing my Voodoo5 at the same time
rolleye.gif
He has his own system, why he wants to tinker with mine I haven't a clue. Cheap bastard, if he wanted to gimme an upgrade, at the very least get me a 9700 ;) :p

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
going to a geforce 1 from a Voodoo5 would definately be a downgrade
as the others said a V5 is about as good as a mid rang GF2

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I've owned a Voodoo5 and a GF2 gts
the GF2 pretty much edges the voodoo5 out in most everything
cept maybe games based off the unreal engine and in anti aliasing
the GF2 supports and runs better on newer stuff thanks to it's T&L and what not
a GF1 is just one generation before tho i wouldn't compare it
maybe compare it to a Voodoo3...

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Set up the Beta 8 6000 drivers and use the 22-bit hack. Set AA on 2x and -.75 bias, set HSR to semi-aggressive tiling. Overclock to about 175MHz or so and the V5 will keep up with any GTS and look better. You have to reach Geforce2 Pro speeds before the V5 starts falling behind. This isn't in a bunch of synthetic benchmarks, I'm talking real world playable gaming framerates.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
Ok, so both perform pretty much on par with each other then? Would you consider it an upgrade or downgrade then if I already have the Voodoo5 and slap in the Geforce1 DDR instead? Is the performance difference that noticeable that it would warrant spending $20 for the exchange?

Thing is bro bought the refurbished Geforce1 DDR from Future Shop (Best Buy) and wants to jam the Geforce1 DDR down my throat and into my system, dissing my Voodoo5 at the same time
rolleye.gif
He has his own system, why he wants to tinker with mine I haven't a clue. Cheap bastard, if he wanted to gimme an upgrade, at the very least get me a 9700 ;) :p

You could give it a shot, but that would be a downgrade.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Yeah it wouldn't really be a boost and the only thing not really covered is how much better the V5 will be in image quality. Considering the prices of GF4MX440, Rad9000 etc ($60ish) it makes little sense to bother with things like V5 vs GF1-DDR, if you are going to part with any money at least make the upgrade worth while. If you have a moderately decent CPU then a Rad8500 or GF3 should be the least you should go for and are now easily under $100. I'd say see what you can sell the V5 for (if not the GF1-DDR too), a lot of people still love them (nostalgia?) and see how much a truly better card will cost you. Here's a couple of bm links I had lying around:

AnAndTech Voodoo4 review (inc V5, GF2MX, GF2GTS & Radeon SDR/DDR)
AnAndTech Voodoo5 review (inc GF1, GF2MX, GF2GTS, TNT2, V3, V4 & Rage)
TomsHW Radeon reviews (inc GF2MX, GF2GTS, GF1 & V5)
Tech Report Voodoo5 review (inc GF2GTS, GF1, TNT2)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The voodoo5 is better. It was actually supposed to compete with the GF1, it was the delays that put it up against the GF2, and eventually, killed it.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
'tis true and rather sad yes that the Voodoo 5 did have to go against the GeForce 2. Anyways, the way I figure it, if you're going to play something like Quake ]|[ you might want to use the GeForce... but then again it all depends on how much memory is in the GF. Alrighty, there's my take.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee

rolleye.gif

If your running or intend to run WinXP in the near future I'd definitely take the GF1. I'd also probably lean towards it if your a big gamer and want to ensure compatibility with the latest games.
Otherwise if you especially like anisotropic filtering then the GF1 is an obvious choice, as the V5 can't do anisotrophy.
I might prefer the GF1 by a bit for most First Person shooters as well.

If you are only an occasional gamer or interested in most flight/driving sims, need better 2D quality, or enjoy FSAA, or need GLide support the the V5 would be a better choice.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Voodoo 5 also scaled well with faster cpus, so that should be a consideration in the types of games you play and bench on. I ported my V5 pci from a P2 350 to a P3 500, then as a 2nd card in a T-bird 1.4 PC-133 based system and my current AXP 1800+ DDR system and noticed considerable increases in performance in each upgrade.

Chiz

Pauli

Oct 14, 1999
V5 is still pretty good - especially with old games that support Glide. But it won't work in many (if not most) new motherboards and requires an extra power connector and does not have current driver support. So, if you plan on upgrading your MB or want to run XP, then take the GForce DDR.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Actually, the only boads that the Voodoo5 is incompatible with are the original intel-based P4 boards, as they are ONLY 1.8v, as opposed to the universal 1.8/3.3(V5 is 3.3). The vast majority of new motherboards work fine. I've beqeuthed my Voodoo5 to my sister after 2 year stint(replaced with a 9700 baby), I'm running the latest XP unofficial drivers, works like a charm, with every game I've tried. Its even very playable in UT2K3.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Deeko I think you mean 1.5v (as in AGP2.0 spec) and 3.3v (as in the very old AGP1.0 spec). There are diff types of AGP2.0 slot (the type found on almost all modern mobos), AGP2.0 which is 1.5v ONLY and is keyed to prevent insertion of the older 3.3v AGP cards (which I think all Voodoo were) and AGP2.0 UNIVERSAL which will take all new cards and also all the old ones too as it falls back to 3.3v mode.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Deeko
Actually, the only boads that the Voodoo5 is incompatible with are the original intel-based P4 boards, as they are ONLY 1.8v, as opposed to the universal 1.8/3.3(V5 is 3.3). The vast majority of new motherboards work fine. I've beqeuthed my Voodoo5 to my sister after 2 year stint(replaced with a 9700 baby), I'm running the latest XP unofficial drivers, works like a charm, with every game I've tried. Its even very playable in UT2K3.

NForce boards are a no no too.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I've beqeuthed my Voodoo5 to my sister after 2 year stint(replaced with a 9700 baby), I'm running the latest XP unofficial drivers, works like a charm, with every game I've tried. Its even very playable in UT2K3.

Yah I never had a problem with game compatibility either (that was 3dfx's forte before they croaked) and handed mine off to my cousin b/c GTA3 didn't run so hot on his GF 1. Talked to him last night and he said it ran great with the V5. The most fun was playing older RTS games or glide games like D2 with 4x FSAA on my faster Athlon rigs....brought new life to old graphx. As for power supply issues, unless you have a 100W PoS with 2 molex connectors, this shouldn't be a problem. Anything 200W+ should have enough power and molex connectors to keep your system happy.

Chiz

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Back in the day the Voodoo5 used to sit between the GeForce DDR and the GeForce2 GTS in terms of performance. However the GeForce DDR pulled ahead in T&L capable games and in fillrate limited situations.

Of course now the situation is very different as 3dfx is long gone and official driver support just doesn't exist anymore. The Voodoo5 is essentially a dead-end card so don't waste your time with it.

car3on

Oct 15, 2002
No, no, most assuredly no... I had both, first a gf1-pro, then a voodoo5 5500, and I can say, without any doubt, that the only thing a v5 does better is 2d. S, if you want to play diablo 1 forever, go for it. As for 3dfx and compatibility, did any of you actually make any sense of the last couple of driver releases for it? Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. I lived at 3dfxgamers.com for the entire time I had it. Anyone want to buy some slightly used 104 drivers? Last ones I could get. Is the site even up anymore? Last I saw of it, it was a skeleton. I think the voodoo3 was damn near as fast as the 5500, and the 4 doesn't even rate a mention. Who has the ten 6000's?

The worst thing about nvidia buying out 3dfx is that their support and driver staff seemed to have gone over to nvidia, because getting decent drivers out of them is almost impossible too now. After a gf1-pro, gf2gts and a gf4 mx440(leadtek)I have had enough of nvidia. I run a hercules radeonfdx8500le now, and whilst I may not have the worlds best framerate, at least I have stability;)

Too damn right, I had one, for a week, well actually, the shop had it for a week, I had it for a day. Sound dropouts, crashing in every 3d game, hell, in gunlok, there was a place to walk to, which crashed me everytime, and forced a restart. That was on 3 different vga cards!!

I think nvidia have forgotten what it is all about, just quietly:(:disgust:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: car3on
No, no, most assuredly no... I had both, first a gf1-pro, then a voodoo5 5500, and I can say, without any doubt, that the only thing a v5 does better is 2d. S, if you want to play diablo 1 forever, go for it. As for 3dfx and compatibility, did any of you actually make any sense of the last couple of driver releases for it? Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. I lived at 3dfxgamers.com for the entire time I had it. Anyone want to buy some slightly used 104 drivers? Last ones I could get. Is the site even up anymore? Last I saw of it, it was a skeleton. I think the voodoo3 was damn near as fast as the 5500, and the 4 doesn't even rate a mention. Who has the ten 6000's?

The worst thing about nvidia buying out 3dfx is that their support and driver staff seemed to have gone over to nvidia, because getting decent drivers out of them is almost impossible too now. After a gf1-pro, gf2gts and a gf4 mx440(leadtek)I have had enough of nvidia. I run a hercules radeonfdx8500le now, and whilst I may not have the worlds best framerate, at least I have stability;)

Too damn right, I had one, for a week, well actually, the shop had it for a week, I had it for a day. Sound dropouts, crashing in every 3d game, hell, in gunlok, there was a place to walk to, which crashed me everytime, and forced a restart. That was on 3 different vga cards!!

I think nvidia have forgotten what it is all about, just quietly:(:disgust:

Dasm, I disagree with just about everything you just said, and you said a lot. You are the Anti-Sandorski!! :eek: :D