All these "what to eat threads"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Whatever you need to say to justify fast food three times a week. Pick moderately healthy food. Barbecue chicken happens to be quite healthy and very tasty. Steak is extremely healthy and is the best food on the planet. Rice or vegetables are quite tasty if prepared right. Its not about eating bland chicken and rice, fruits and nuts, but fast food three times a week will rot your body.

After not eating fast food for like 12 months now I'd be disgustingly sick after a Big Mac. But go ahead, its your body.

Edit - The obligitory "I eat 5000 calories a day" :p

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I make myself eat healthy stuff most of the time, but I'm not afraid to taste unhealthy stuff every now and then. It's just a matter of priorities - I don't like pizza / chinesee food / whatever enough to cheat on my diet... only european chocoloate :)

Actually the stuff I eat daily is rather tasty AND healthy:

Bfast:
Whey Shake
Eggwhites with pepper and ketchup and 2 cups of yoghurt with pineapple and granola

Lunch:
Burrito (chicken, beans, little bit of rice, pico, salsa)

Snack: milk & protein pudding

Din din: Spicy Chicken with wheat bread / salmon and rice / dirty rice with beans

Whey Protein shake after the workout

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Yes, food is one of life's greatest pleasures. Sex as well.

:light:

Why not do both at the same time? Hell, maybe even watch TV too! ;)

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: benjpw
I have been noticing a lot of these "what do I eat" or "how to eat healthy threads" and while I think thats great (America could take a lesson from you guys!) am I the only one who simply cant do it?

I work out, run, play basketball - and then eat pizza or a subway sandwhich.

To me food is about pleasure so I might as well enjoy it. I hate eating just "chicken and rice" - there is soemthign wrong to me about eating bland meat -or just eating a peace of meat and some vegitables in general for dinner.

Is there anyone else out there who hates cooking and the concept of eating bland foods? Anyone else work out AND eat Chinese food every other day?

Sigh. Maybe I'm the only one.

I'm sorry if this will sound a little assholish, but if your idea of tasty food is fast-food pizza and subway sandwiches and you think that good food is "bland" then you are completely f-cking clueless on the topic of food.

I eat good (mostly homecooked) food that tastes much better and is way more healthy than anything a fast food restaurant can cook up and would never even dream of giving up for subway and pizza.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
When home cooked food is mentioned I have to think of my grandma.
She lived in the south.
She routinely cooked collard greens, hamhocks, blackeyed peas, pork barbecue, sweet potatoes, cornbread, buttermilk biscuits, fried country ham full of salt and cooked everything with hog lard. she ate all that stuff , thats bad according to the "experts" until the day she died at the age of 98.
Her house was the place to eat, nothing commercial could ever compare.

Now I'm hungry for some of the above meals :p

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Azndude2190 You're welcome. Three weight lifting sessions a week is optimal, but you can get away with two. Don't do it every day; you need to give your muscles a break. That's why I alternate: cardio one day, weights the next, and at least one rest day per week.

If you're just getting started, it's a good idea to have a session with a trainer so you can learn the proper techniques and establish a baseline for how much to lift or how to do a certain strength exercise.

A good rule of thumb: 8-10 repetitions at a specific weight builds bulk (high weight); 15 repetitions gives a toning effect (lower weight). I like one set with low reps, high weight, and one set at high reps, low weight. You have to experiment to see what your starting weight is for various exercises, then increase either reps or weight when the exercise becomes too easy. Try weight machines to start off, then move to free weights when you gain confidence. Limit your workload increase to 5-10% per week, assuming you're feeling good.

Most importantly, do exercises that work multiple muscle groups rather than isolating one muscle, and make sure to cover all the muscle groups (upper and lower body). Spot reducing DOES NOT WORK.

Have fun!

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: InflatableBuddha
Azndude2190 You're welcome. Three weight lifting sessions a week is optimal, but you can get away with two. Don't do it every day; you need to give your muscles a break. That's why I alternate: cardio one day, weights the next, and at least one rest day per week.

If you're just getting started, it's a good idea to have a session with a trainer so you can learn the proper techniques and establish a baseline for how much to lift or how to do a certain strength exercise.

A good rule of thumb: 8-10 repetitions at a specific weight builds bulk (high weight); 15 repetitions gives a toning effect (lower weight). I like one set with low reps, high weight, and one set at high reps, low weight. You have to experiment to see what your starting weight is for various exercises, then increase either reps or weight when the exercise becomes too easy. Try weight machines to start off, then move to free weights when you gain confidence. Limit your workload increase to 5-10% per week, assuming you're feeling good.

Most importantly, do exercises that work multiple muscle groups rather than isolating one muscle, and make sure to cover all the muscle groups (upper and lower body). Spot reducing DOES NOT WORK.

Have fun!

High reps does not equal toning. That is a myth that just won't seem to die. Gaining muscle and losing fat is controlled primarily through your diet. If you want to increase muscle size, lift heavy with low reps, and eat more than your maintenance level of calories.

If you want to lose fat and increase definition, eat slightly less than your maintenance level of calories for an extended period of time, but continue to lift heavy to persuade your body to burn the fat off instead of your muscle.

This is a simplification. I might post back my standard paragraphs of advice later tonight.

When are we going to get a fitness forum?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I do not get enough pleasure from eating Subway or McDonald's, or drinking Coke, or any of that other junk so I mainly stick to realtively healthy things for lunch and whatnot.

I do, however, like to go out and eat dinner at actual restaurants (not fast-fod) so I save all of my nad eating for then when I can have a nice steak, piece of duck, dessert or whatever else I want.

So for me, eating the junk fast-food stuff is just not worth it and my metabolism is not as high as it was 10 years ago to constantly burnt hat type of crap off. I save my bad eating for good restaurants that I can really enjoy.

KT

Azndude2190

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: InflatableBuddha

Have fun!

So what kind of repetition do I do to keep from bulking but give me that lean/slim look?