All these "what to eat threads"

benjpw

Banned
Jul 13, 2007
I have been noticing a lot of these "what do I eat" or "how to eat healthy threads" and while I think thats great (America could take a lesson from you guys!) am I the only one who simply cant do it?

I work out, run, play basketball - and then eat pizza or a subway sandwhich.

To me food is about pleasure so I might as well enjoy it. I hate eating just "chicken and rice" - there is soemthign wrong to me about eating bland meat -or just eating a peace of meat and some vegitables in general for dinner.

Is there anyone else out there who hates cooking and the concept of eating bland foods? Anyone else work out AND eat Chinese food every other day?

Sigh. Maybe I'm the only one.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Yep, food is one of the great pleasures in life, I dont see the point in that

Woody Allen said it better - "You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred"

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I once heard a "diet expert" describe the best diet ever.
He said to eat whatever you are hungry for at the time.
Don't suplement anything in place of whatever you crave.
If you do you'll eat more of the other thing and then later still crave what you should have eaten first.

Has worked for me :)

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I understand what you mean. I am kind of the same way. I would rather be in somewhat good shape and eat whatever I want over being in amazing shape but only eating health food. And that is my goal. I weigh 175 right now at 6'1 and just started biking. I plan to drop down to 160 or so and i'll be happy with that. I don't eat horribly, but I eat fast food 2-3 times a week and love pizza. I know once I get older i'll have to eat better, but at 24 i'm enjoying life while I can.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Hmm, different thread then I thought. I was thinkng you didn't get the threads were people couldn't decide what to eat for lunch/dinner.

Move along then.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I used to do that but I hit a wall in terms of fitness.

If you don't mind being a little pudgy than it works out just fine, but if you want to get in really good shape (like 8-10% body fat) there's no way you'll ever do it unless you can tame your eating habits.

benjpw

Banned
Jul 13, 2007
Originally posted by: ggnl

If you don't mind being a little pudgy than it works out just fine, but if you want to get in really good shape (like 8-10% body fat) there's no way you'll ever do it unless you can tame your eating habits.

Maybe it has something to do with age too. I am 6'4 about 190lbs. I look skinny but perhaps my BMI is on the high average rather then middle average for my height.

I don't think that denotes pudginess. Why would you want to have 8-10% body fat - just curious?

Also all these tame threads dont take into account the sheer ammount of corn syrup and preservatives even in "healthy" foods.

When you can't beat the system - embrace the system! j/k j/k.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
just because you eat all that junk food and aren't fat doesn't mean you are healthy by any means.

benjpw

Banned
Jul 13, 2007
Originally posted by: purbeast0
just because you eat all that junk food and aren't fat doesn't mean you are healthy by any means.

Of course not - you wouldn't be in prime health. But its not healthy to breathe in the mercury that carbon plants dump out thanks to the EPA killing the mercury containment law in the last two years. It's not healthy to eat fish polluted by mercury by high-tech waste dumping. Its not healthy to sit at a desk for 10 hours or drive a car rather then walk. Its not healthy to....

You get my point.

I DO understand trying to control your eating if its out of control... or if you are manifesting health problems.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
It doesn't take much to make food tasty. Us "healthy eaters" aren't just eating rice cakes and seaweed. Salmon, steak, pork chops, chicken can all taste great and still be nutritious with very little preparation. Throw in a decent salad, some trail mix, and fruits throughout the day and you will have fulfilled your healthy eating goals. Simple really.

And peace be to you, too.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I once heard a "diet expert" describe the best diet ever.
He said to eat whatever you are hungry for at the time.
Don't suplement anything in place of whatever you crave.
If you do you'll eat more of the other thing and then later still crave what you should have eaten first.

Has worked for me :)

Works for me too. Eating is one of life's great pleasures.

Oct 4, 2004
I am just going to enjoy my youth and eat whatever I want without gaining an ounce. I dread the day I have to actually give my diet serious thought. Having said that, I don't really eat much unless I'm at a really good buffet or party. I only eat two regular meals a day and eat junk food the rest of the time.

All the men in my family wore size 30-32 jeans until their mid-thirties - I take that as a good sign.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: benjpw
Originally posted by: ggnl

Maybe it has something to do with age too. I am 6'4 about 190lbs. I look skinny but perhaps my BMI is on the high average rather then middle average for my height.

I don't think that denotes pudginess. Why would you want to have 8-10% body fat - just curious?

Also all these tame threads dont take into account the sheer ammount of corn syrup and preservatives even in "healthy" foods.

When you can't beat the system - embrace the system! j/k j/k.

I think I look good with low body fat. It makes me happy and confident. Do I need more reason than that?

It's not real hard to do once you learn the basics. Just proper diet and maybe 15 hours a week in the gym. The average american will spend more than twice that much time parked in front of the TV every week.

Azndude2190

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2005
I don't want to create a new thread but I do have a question concerning stomach fat that i've been wanting to lose:

I've been hitting the gym since early June.Everyday I cycle for 30 min.Jog/run for 30 min.On the elliptical for 30 min.All this in at a moderate speed and intensity.For basically 2 months straight but I'm not losing the fat on my stomach as quick as I hoped and thought I would. I'm a relatively skinny person.I'm 138 lbs.5'8 and 17...male. As far as foods I'm eating I've cut down on all sweets+ soft drink.I get my fruits and vegetables in(albeit not balanced diet...I do eat more meats and bread but who am i kidding l like meat and plus its always lean).And I increased drinking of water.I burn 550 calories a day and I know for a fact my calories don't go over 1500 a day(it's generally around 1000-1400...where I need 1800 a day to keep my current weight assuming I don't move or not active)So all in all I'm 950 calories below that 1800 mark every day so shouldn't that translate into fat loss especially in a 2 months.

BTW please don't say go see a doctor.I'm perfectly fine.I feel good. I feel healthy. I'm not dying or in pain

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Your view may change as you grow older. I simply ate whatever I wanted up until about age 35, then it seemed that even though my activity level didn't change, my weight continued to climb. At my heaviest I was 200 lbs at 5'11". Now, I eat healthy, TASTY, food that I prepare myself and I am down to 168, aiming for a holding weight of about 160-165.

Enjoy it now, while you can, but be prepared for a change when your metabolism decides that your fat burning days are over.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Food is a good pleasure, and you shouldn't deprive yourself of it. Heck, most people don't have the willpower to do it anyways. Then they binge and ruin anything they tried to accomplish.

But why on Earth do you think healthy food has to be bland meat and vegetables?

A subway sandwhich can be quite healthy. Just don't eat the really fatty meats and mayo each and every time (do it on occasion, but also try the other versions too). Let them throw on some hot peppers and other veggies and you'll be tasty and healthy. A little carbs, a little meat, a lot of veggies, and a ton of flavor in that combo. Just what a healthy diet includes.

Chinese food itself isn't necesarilly bad either. They tend to have lean meats and lots of veggies. Exactly what a healthy diet includes and exactly what a person working out needs. Yes, they use a bit of oil, but that is necessary too for a healthy diet. Just don't have the deep fried foods at every Chinese meal.

You can always pile your pizza high with roasted garlic, roasted chili peppers, onions, etc. Damn good food, and good for you too if you keep the meats and cheese down on your pizza.

The real key is moderation. Just don't do anything in excess.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Azndude2190
I don't want to create a new thread but I do have a question concerning stomach fat that i've been wanting to lose:

I've been hitting the gym since early June.Everyday I cycle for 30 min.Jog/run for 30 min.On the elliptical for 30 min.All this in at a moderate speed and intensity.For basically 2 months straight but I'm not losing the fat on my stomach as quick as I hoped and thought I would. I'm a relatively skinny person.I'm 138 lbs.5'8 and 17...male. As far as foods I'm eating I've cut down on all sweets+ soft drink.I get my fruits and vegetables in(albeit not balanced diet...I do eat more meats and bread but who am i kidding l like meat and plus its always lean).And I increased drinking of water.I burn 550 calories a day and I know for a fact my calories don't go over 1500 a day(it's generally around 1000-1400...where I need 1800 a day to keep my current weight assuming I don't move or not active)So all in all I'm 950 calories below that 1800 mark every day so shouldn't that translate into fat loss especially in a 2 months.

BTW please don't say go see a doctor.I'm perfectly fine.I feel good. I feel healthy. I'm not dying or in pain

You are horribly under eating. You NEED to eat more.

Genetics play a huge part in how your belly fat works. I was running over 60 miles a week during high school and college and had single digit body fat, but still couldn't manage to get rid of a little bit of flab around my belly. It's just there. Short of lyposuction I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
Healthy eating doesn't have to be bland. :) If you don't enjoy cooking, I suppose that it's easier to cook healthy foods that are bland, but there are a lot of tasty not bland choices out there.

Unfortunately, even with working out, I'm not one who can eat whatever I want and not have it show. I still eat tasty things, though.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Genetics play a huge part in how your belly fat works. I was running over 60 miles a week during high school and college and had single digit body fat, but still couldn't manage to get rid of a little bit of flab around my belly. It's just there. Short of lyposuction I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

yea you should be getting ~2000cal/day

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Azndude2190 - I'm a similar size to you (5'9", 138 lbs) but I've managed to get a fairly ripped stomach. My key has been balancing weight-lifting with cardio. Currently I hit the gym for a full-body weight workout for 1-1.5 hours (including abs) 3 times/week and I run about 35-40 km/week (3 runs).

During uni, I was 8-10 lbs lighter (same height) but not as ripped. I ran competitively and trained 90-100 km/week but I didn't spend as much time in the weight room as I do now. You have to balance weights and cardio in addition to eating well (and vi_edit is right; eat more!).

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

LOL, eating more often and getting calories (nutritional, not "empty"), actually boosts your metabolism, along with cardio. You should be getting 2500 calories a day, but since you're cutting fat, 2000 should suffice. You don't need to be "dying or in pain" to be temporarily malnourished.

Azndude2190

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2005
Thanks for the replies guys but honestly i'm not intentionally starving myself.I like eating.Period.Some of you are saying I should be eating 2500 calories?!?!According to this http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html at a sedentary level(I want to lose body fat) I should be taking in 1800 calories.

InflatableBuddhaThanks for the advice I've been just doing cardio.No weight-lifting at all. Should I do lifting everyday?If not how often?And how much?My ultimate goal is a flat fat free stomach...maybe a six pack down the road.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
cooking != bland food... the opposite in fact...

sandwiches i make myself kick the arse of sadwiches from most cafes.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys but honestly i'm not intentionally starving myself.I like eating.Period.Some of you are saying I should be eating 2500 calories?!?!According to this http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html at a sedentary level(I want to lose body fat) I should be taking in 1800 calories.

InflatableBuddhaThanks for the advice I've been just doing cardio.No weight-lifting at all. Should I do lifting everyday?If not how often?And how much?My ultimate goal is a flat fat free stomach...maybe a six pack down the road.

My body would probably kill me if I tried to give it only 1500 calories a day. Mind you, I've never actually counted, but I'm pretty sure that 2500 is about right for me, and more than that if I'm actually hiking/mountain climbing/etc.

I'm 6'2" 160lbs, BTW.