All the metal in my room oxidizes!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

Yeah that's the point, and it's kinda freaky how much the zinc will get corroded. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that they have to have the requisite electrical connections. There has to be pathways for both the electrons and ions to exchange between the zinc anode and the protected metal.

Bolded for emphasis. The most sophisticated marine corrosion fighters measure electrical fields surrounding the vessel and points (skeg/struts/rudder, etc.) A sacrificial material can also work the wrong way and destroy the host material if there is electrical leakage!

In an air environment things are much different. Alloys often corrode severely due to the electrical differences between their parent metals. The action is no different than a battery. For this process to continue the flow of electrons must occur. An electrolyte agent is present and thus being deposited on the surface of your metal possessions. Most likely it's from the moisture in the air and possibly air pollution.

On a vessel at sea a steel case does not last long if it gets exposed to the "sea air". In just a few months all normal fasteners show signs of moderate corrosion. Higher quality stainless steel holds up well. Titanium is the best. (and $$$!)

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
You need to start dissipating reducing agents into the air. Or you could bolt zinc plates to all your metal surfaces.

Explain what this does.

He forgot to mention wearing a tinfoil hat.

Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
You need to start dissipating reducing agents into the air. Or you could bolt zinc plates to all your metal surfaces.

Explain what this does.

If you connect zinc to your metal, it will oxidize itself while keeping your metal safe.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Baloo
Who said anything about gold connectors.

And all gold connectors are merely plated. Whats underneath still oxidies - gold plating is not thick enough to block oxygen from penetrating thru. However, gold does oxidise too, it's just a much slower process.
Even if this were true, wouldn't that mean that the gold would still remain shiny?

Also, show me a piece of gold that has truly oxidized in air.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard

And all gold connectors are merely plated. Whats underneath still oxidies - gold plating is not thick enough to block oxygen from penetrating thru. However, gold does oxidise too, it's just a much slower process.
Even if this were true, wouldn't that mean that the gold would still remain shiny?

just put gold in a high pressure, pure oxygen chamber at a high temperature. it WILL oxidize eventually - it's just a matter of getting the right parameters. great, now i want to look in my thermodynamics book for the oxidation of gold to see what partial pressure of oxygen is required :(

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
I live in the attic of my home.

Every piece of exposed metal in my room, after a while, develops this patina of oxidation. This applies to headphone connectors, paper clips, watches, screwdrivers, computer part connectors, etc.

What is it about the air in here that's doing that
?

Oxygen. I recommend removing the oxygen by displacing it with argon.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon

Yeah that's the point, and it's kinda freaky how much the zinc will get corroded. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that they have to have the requisite electrical connections. There has to be pathways for both the electrons and ions to exchange between the zinc anode and the protected metal.

Bolded for emphasis. The most sophisticated marine corrosion fighters measure electrical fields surrounding the vessel and points (skeg/struts/rudder, etc.) A sacrificial material can also work the wrong way and destroy the host material if there is electrical leakage!

In an air environment things are much different. Alloys often corrode severely due to the electrical differences between their parent metals. The action is no different than a battery. For this process to continue the flow of electrons must occur. An electrolyte agent is present and thus being deposited on the surface of your metal possessions. Most likely it's from the moisture in the air and possibly air pollution.

On a vessel at sea a steel case does not last long if it gets exposed to the "sea air". In just a few months all normal fasteners show signs of moderate corrosion. Higher quality stainless steel holds up well. Titanium is the best. (and $$$!)

I :heart: ATOT

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: Howard

just put gold in a high pressure, pure oxygen chamber at a high temperature. it WILL oxidize eventually - it's just a matter of getting the right parameters. great, now i want to look in my thermodynamics book for the oxidation of gold to see what partial pressure of oxygen is required :(
Does it happen in air? I assumed he was talking about ambient conditions since he didn't specify the conditions of the "slower process."

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
If you live near the ocean it's probably a combination of humidity and seawater. It's very corrosive.