All the metal in my room oxidizes!

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
I live in the attic of my home.

Every piece of exposed metal in my room, after a while, develops this patina of oxidation. This applies to headphone connectors, paper clips, watches, screwdrivers, computer part connectors, etc.

What is it about the air in here that's doing that?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Humidity most likely, possibly combined with a lot of particulates and other crud in the air. Dehumidifier and air filter.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
you have fake gold connectors then. I have a tough time believing that real gold connectors would oxidize in your room.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Who said anything about gold connectors.

And all gold connectors are merely plated. Whats underneath still oxidies - gold plating is not thick enough to block oxygen from penetrating thru. However, gold does oxidise too, it's just a much slower process.

It would be very unusual for an attic to have a humidity problem. Any flue gasses getting into the attic? Flue gasses would contain vapors that are acidic. Where those vapors condense on cold metal, oxidation can happen very fast.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..vent the room to the out doors. get a fan and circulate the air.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Do you live near the coasts? Otherwise humidity.

yeah I live in Staten Island, NY.

The rest of the house doesn't have this problem, just the attic.

I'll likely invest in a de-humidifier, thanks all

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
You need to start dissipating reducing agents into the air. Or you could bolt zinc plates to all your metal surfaces.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
You need to start dissipating reducing agents into the air. Or you could bolt zinc plates to all your metal surfaces.

Explain what this does.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: RESmonkey

Explain what this does.

Depending on the mechanism that is encouraging the oxidation, the zinc acts as a sacrificial lamb. The zinc gets oxidized and donates its electrons as opposed to the metal that it is attached to. It is very common on seafaring vessels and objects, attaching chunks of zinc to the sides. This is also the purpose of galvanizing steel.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
^ Interesting. I'll have to remember that. This should help prevent rust, as well, correct? Since rust is metal oxidizing...

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

Explain what this does.

Your metal is apparently oxidizing. "Something" is yanking two electrons at a time from them. Zinc or a reducing agent will serve to donate those electrons in place of your metals.

Redox

edit: bah, Born2 is much faster...

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
^ Interesting. I'll have to remember that. This should help prevent rust, as well, correct? Since rust is metal oxidizing...

Yeah that's the point, and it's kinda freaky how much the zinc will get corroded. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that they have to have the requisite electrical connections. There has to be pathways for both the electrons and ions to exchange between the zinc anode and the protected metal.