All Steak cookers and BBQers: Another small question about marinading, inside!

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Alright, so I bought this steak on the 18th. Immediately stuck it in the freezer. I had two different packages of steak. They both have the Sell By Date of the 20th, being the 24th I'd expect them to be good. One is still pinkish, while the other package has turned brown, like a cooked steak, almost. Does that mean it's bad? If it's still in the original wrapping and I have the receipt can I return it, if it's bad? If not toss it? Thanks!

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Depends on the temperature of your freezer. It will definitely last more than two weeks.

The discoloration is just a quality aspect. It will be tougher than the other, but will be fine to eat.

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Another small question...Can you marinade frozen steak? Like take the frozen steak, put it in marinade and put it back in the fridge or freezer and it'll marinade? Or does it need to be atleast "plyable" like if it was in the fridge?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MangoTBG
Another small question...Can you marinade frozen steak? Like take the frozen steak, put it in marinade and put it back in the fridge or freezer and it'll marinade? Or does it need to be atleast "plyable" like if it was in the fridge?
It will marinade better when the meet is not frozen.

Freezing both the steak and marinade is pointless.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
1)What kind of steak? If it's a good steak see #4 & #5
2)I'd toss the brown steak, sounds freezerburned, although it hasn't been in the freezer very long...strange.
3)Return the steak? LMAO! Tell me another one...
4)How to cook a good steak.
5)Don't marinate it if it's a good steak!

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
I'm not expert cooker, I usually let my wife handle that kind of thing.... But I've always seen her let it thaw out (usually while i'm at work in the refridgerator) and then she marinades it.

If you are looking for a quick thaw, put some hot water in your sink (make sure no nasty food is floating in it) then use a clean cup or something to hold the meat under the water (Since its usually packaged in styrophome (sp?) and floats) It should thaw pretty well within 30 minutes if you do that.

Haircut

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: TravisT
If you are looking for a quick thaw, put some hot water in your sink (make sure no nasty food is floating in it) then use a clean cup or something to hold the meat under the water (Since its usually packaged in styrophome (sp?) and floats) It should thaw pretty well within 30 minutes if you do that.
I wouldn't use hot water to do that, the meat will become warm and become the ideal breeding ground for bacteria

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Definitely not the smartest nor safest thing to do.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
:confused:
Using hot water is stupid because it will cook the meat prematurely, but doing it with lukewarm water is fine.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: minendo
:confused:
Using hot water is stupid because it will cook the meat prematurely, but doing it with lukewarm water is fine.
30 minutes is roughly 2 log cycles. The smartest and safest way to defrost meat is by placing it in the refrigerator. It takes longer to defrost, but growth is limited in refrigeration temperatures.