All in One PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
OP, you do know that "i5" in the Lenovo AIO is a dual core laptop processor right? 800.00 seems awfully expensive. Additionally, the GT920 video card is a strange choice. I doubt it is much faster if at all than the igpu on the cpu, but at least it allows more of the TDP to be used by the cpu instead of being shared with the igpu.

Does it *have* to be an AIO? Personally, I am not a fan of them at all. Seems to me they incorporate the worst of both laptops and desktops. The low performance (relatively), lack of repairabiltiy, and thermal constraints of a laptop, still without being truly portable. For 800.00, you should be able to get a true desktop i5 with much better performance and have money left over for a monitor.

Edit: As Blue Max said, if you often have a lot of IT stuff going on in the background, a full TDP desktop quad core would be miles ahead of that AIO. Even my relatively new dual core laptop feels dog slow when disk encryption and virus scans are going on while I am trying to use my number crunching software, and since I dont have admin privileges I cant cancel them. BTW, I would like to throttle the IT guy who thought it necessary to do a full virus scan weekly without giving the user the ability to delay it until they are not using the machine.

Last edited:

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Edit: As Blue Max said, if you often have a lot of IT stuff going on in the background, a full TDP desktop quad core would be miles ahead of that AIO. Even my relatively new dual core laptop feels dog slow when disk encryption and virus scans are going on while I am trying to use my number crunching software, and since I dont have admin privileges I cant cancel them. BTW, I would like to throttle the IT guy who thought it necessary to do a full virus scan weekly without giving the user the ability to delay it until they are not using the machine.

It doesn't even have to be a tower, there's lots of little ITX cubes or low-profile mATX cases that can fit a pair of 3.5" SATA drives in RAID for great speed AND redundant security (thus reducing the need for daily backups, etc.)

dtx_cases.jpg

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It doesn't even have to be a tower, there's lots of little ITX cubes or low-profile mATX cases that can fit a pair of 3.5" SATA drives in RAID for great speed AND redundant security (thus reducing the need for daily backups, etc.)

dtx_cases.jpg

In this ransomware age, you really want some off-site/not connected backup

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
In this ransomware age, you really want some off-site/not connected backup

So long as it's YOURS not some 'cloud' service, right? We never did get details as to what/how much stuff is being backed up or how long it takes... his internet may be slower than his USB drive! :sneaky:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So long as it's YOURS not some 'cloud' service, right? We never did get details as to what/how much stuff is being backed up or how long it takes... his internet may be slower than his USB drive! :sneaky:

Not sure if sarcastic buy yes! I'd never put my backup faith in a cloud solution .. but i am problary not a role model in this regard.. remeber, only the paranoid survive!

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
They are, but they are crippled from the factory: OSX.

Want to predict where Windows will be in three years? Just look at what OSX is today.

Anyway, aside from your troll, you know you can run Windows on a Mac, right?

manoomirza

May 12, 2016
You have not describe your old PC.It would be great to know what you are using. Best idea to keep the old pc is replacing the old HD with new SSD .If you are not happy then put the SSD in the next PC or a laptop.