All I Want For Christmas. . .

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Entire bears front office and coaching staff, and most of the players.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: Carbo
That is all.
Me too.
Except I also want Bill Cowher to be hired.
Nix the Bill Cowher idea. He is the most overrated coach in football. 15 years with the Steelers. One championship. Many underachieving teams that had the personnel to win it all, but didn't.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life
Coughlin is a decent coach. Its Eli that needs to get axed.
Eli can be shown the door, too. But it starts with Coughlin. His assembled coaching staff is the joke of the NFL.
As a Giants fan, it pains me to have to admit this. But I want to see them crash and burn these last two weeks so the Front Office realizes that a major housecleaning is needed.
Coughlin gets the axe, along with his collection of clowns. Then it's time to rid the roster of the old, the infirmed, the malcontents. Dump bodies for draft picks, and rebuild with youth and speed.
I ask you, why am I not this team's GM??

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Eli can be shown the door, too. But it starts with Coughlin. His assembled coaching staff is the joke of the NFL.
As a Giants fan, it pains me to have to admit this. But I want to see them crash and burn these last two weeks so the Front Office realizes that a major housecleaning is needed.
Coughlin gets the axe, along with his collection of clowns. Then it's time to rid the roster of the old, the infirmed, the malcontents. Dump bodies for draft picks, and rebuild with youth and speed.

That's not fair. I realize you hate Coughlin, but Spagnoulo has done a fine job, as has Gilbride. It's not the coaches fault that nobody could catch the ball on Sunday night. 9 dropped passes or something like that? That's not Eli's fault either. I still think Coughlin is a good coach but if they get knocked out in the first round or if they don't even make it, he's gonna have to go.

That said, I believe now that Eli is a bust. I was a big Eli supporter, but all I hear about is how he's improving slowly, making strides etc. No, he's not. What we see is what he is, and that's a subpar QB who Accorsi gave up the world for.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
TP, I agree Spags has done enough to warrant another season. . .preferably under a new Head Coach. Keep in mind that Couglin was forced to fire Tim Lewis and hire a new DC. Otherwise he would have stayed with the status quo.
But Kevin Gilbride?? Are you kidding me?!?! What a disaster he has been! He was Eli's QB coach before being promoted to OC. And most of the criticism about Eli is that he is sorely in need of coaching and fundamentals. The buck stops at Gilbride's desk.
In addition, what other OC would call for 52 passes in gale force winds? Giants football used to be all about pounding it out on the ground. The Meadowlands in December used to be symbolic with the Giants. Not anymore.
Unless this organization cleans house, it'll be year after year of mediocrity. Ufortunately, the Giants ownership has a history of moving slowly and conservatively. :frown:

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

I agree but i like Spags..everyone else is Coughlins buddy from another time.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
There are many QB's coming out of this draft that can be good or great in the NFL. However im not saying we use one on a first or even 2nd round pick. I think we can sit and wait in the 3rd-4th rounds and land a good QB. At least to give Eli some pressure to improve. Cause lets face it, Eli wont be gone at the end of the year no matter what. Coughlin might be but who are they going to get to replace him? Parcells?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
In addition, what other OC would call for 52 passes in gale force winds?

That was unbelievably stupid. Jacobs was averaging about 5 YPC, so it wasn't like the run game was being stuffed. How did that OC even get that job? Win a radio contest or something?!?!

Regarding Eli, he's OK, but the Giants WAY overpaid for him, and he's wilting under the pressure of the NY media and the fact he's Peyton's little brother. Doesn't help either that his teammates can't catch a cold. But of course I'm not complaining about any of this - I'm a Redskins fan! :laugh:

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
But Kevin Gilbride?? Are you kidding me?!?! What a disaster he has been! He was Eli's QB coach before being promoted to OC. And most of the criticism about Eli is that he is sorely in need of coaching and fundamentals. The buck stops at Gilbride's desk.
In addition, what other OC would call for 52 passes in gale force winds? Giants football used to be all about pounding it out on the ground. The Meadowlands in December used to be symbolic with the Giants. Not anymore.
Unless this organization cleans house, it'll be year after year of mediocrity. Ufortunately, the Giants ownership has a history of moving slowly and conservatively. :frown:

I would not fire a coach over one game. I think in general he has a decent gameplan. It's not his fault the QB is no good. He can only work with what he's got. Eli does not have the mental makeup to succeed as a QB in the NFL, and coaching can't fix that. How many people were calling for his head in the first half of the season? Not many.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
TP, that's the point. It isn't just one game. He's been Eli's handler and mentor since the beginning. The lack of development is, in some part, a reflection of Gilbride.
But that aside, his play calling always leaves me scratching my head. He is much too pass happy with an offense that should be run first. That's The Meadowlands, and that's Giants football. Or at least it should be.
And if he insists on passing so much, doesn't he know the Giants have a tight end? Shockey was underutilized all season. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say Gilbride is part of the current regime, making him part of the current problems. Off with his head, I say!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: techs
That is all.
Me too.
Except I also want Bill Cowher to be hired.
Nix the Bill Cowher idea. He is the most overrated coach in football. 15 years with the Steelers. One championship. Many underachieving teams that had the personnel to win it all, but didn't.

I can think of quite a few franchises that would welcome the level of success Pitt enjoyed under Cowher. He went to championship games with multiple QBs during his tenure while losing pro bowl players virtaully every year during free agency. He will be a hot coaching prospect this off season. Until Romeo turned things around in C-Town this season it looked as if he would wind up there, now, who knows.

Bears will probably take a shot at Brady Anderson, and leave the coaching staff intact at least one more season. IMHO a solid QB is all that is holding them back from seriously contending as they did last year.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Alistar, word has it that the Falcons ownership has already approached Cowher with an offer and he turned them down, saying he wanted another year out of the grinder.
And yeah, the Bears need a QB. But they also need a RB, another WR, and their D is starting to look long in the tooth.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
TP, that's the point. It isn't just one game. He's been Eli's handler and mentor since the beginning. The lack of development is, in some part, a reflection of Gilbride.

That's not fair. Isn't it possible Eli just sucks?

But that aside, his play calling always leaves me scratching my head. He is much too pass happy with an offense that should be run first. That's The Meadowlands, and that's Giants football. Or at least it should be.

If they did that you'd be furious that they're underutilizing Burress and Toomer. They have very good proven WR's and a first year RB. You're not being fair, again.

And if he insists on passing so much, doesn't he know the Giants have a tight end? Shockey was underutilized all season. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say Gilbride is part of the current regime, making him part of the current problems. Off with his head, I say!

IMO Shockey has always been overrated. He's a decent TE but he drops way too many passes. I'm excited to see what Boss can do.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Alistar, word has it that the Falcons ownership has already approached Cowher with an offer and he turned them down, saying he wanted another year out of the grinder.
And yeah, the Bears need a QB. But they also need a RB, another WR, and their D is starting to look long in the tooth.

Would you want the Falcons job lol. I think given the right opportunity he would come back next year, but I doubt the Browns will be willing to part ways with Romeo after he appears to finally have turned the Clowns into a winner.

Text

PITTSBURGH ? Bill Cowher announced today that he is stepping down as Steelers head coach after 15 years at his position. Cowher was the longest-tenured head coach in the NFL and only the team's second head coach since 1969.

Cowher, the 15th head coach in team history, replaced legendary Steelers Head Coach Chuck Noll on Jan. 21, 1992, at the age of 34. In 1995, at age 38, he became the youngest head coach to lead his team to the Super Bowl when the Steelers played the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX. He ultimately led the Steelers to their fifth Super Bowl title in 2005, with a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.

"We would like to thank Bill Cowher for his tremendous contributions to the Steelers organization and for leading us to our fifth Super Bowl title," said Steelers President Art Rooney II. "Bill will always be a valued part of Steelers history and tradition, and we wish him the very best with all future endeavors."

Cowher led the Steelers to postseason appearances in each of his first six seasons, tying an NFL record originally set by Cleveland Browns legendary head coach Paul Brown. In 15 seasons under Cowher, the Steelers made 10 postseason appearances, won eight division titles, played in six AFC Championship games and two Super Bowls, winning one NFL title.

"History will look back on Bill Cowher as one of the great head coaches of his time," said Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney. "He led us through one of the most successful eras in franchise history and has my lasting respect and admiration."

Cowher ended his Steelers career with an overall record of 161-99-1 (.619) including a 149-90-1 (.623) mark in the regular season. His record with the team ranks second only to Noll's overall (209-156-1/.572) and regular season (193-148-1/.566) records. Cowher's .623 regular season and .619 overall winning percentages are the highest in Steelers history.

During Cowher's tenure as Steelers head coach, 105 head coaches were hired throughout the NFL. In 15 seasons under Cowher, the Steelers tied (New England) for the league's most division titles and posted the NFL's best overall record in the regular season. Cowher also posted winning records against 20 of 31 NFL teams.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
I can't wait to draft a new QB for the bears this year. Ours suck! A new RB would be nice too.