Alienware as New Computer?

x86Gn

Feb 25, 2014
I found an Alienware ALX on craigslist for $250

Here is also what he said:

I bought this off here and It is a functioning computer. My plans with it were to just use the case and the cooling system and none of the components since I was going to completely rebuild the system.
The liquid cooling system is made by Koolance (very high end cooling components a new system can start at 300 www.koolance.com) and they recommend changing the liquid every 2-3 years so I drained that out and waiting for the new liquid to arrive. I ran into some billing issues and won't be able to complete this system unfortunately.

I am not including a hard drive since I did use the computer before I took it apart. I could wipe it for you if you would like but there will be no OS on it.

Everything that's included is:
Alienware case which has some scratches and blemishes but looks good for its age(missing alienware head on the front door unfortunately the other seller couldn't find it)

Alienware 750watt powersupply

Foxconn motherboard with a Amd athlon 64 FX 62 dual Coree processor 2.80ghz

2 Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX liquid cooled cards with SLI connection

4GBs of Patriot DDR 2 Ram

Update:
I didn't have time at first to reconnect everything but I found the time. It runs and boots up fine I can't take some pictures to prove it. Send me an offer the worst I can say is no. I'm looking for 250 or best offer

I was suprised to see an Alienware this cheap, even though it does not have a hard drive. I was wondering if it is worth it? Right now I am using an i7 Toshiba laptop, which on the market is $500 right now, but I do not want to buy a computer that doesn't work.

First of all, he said that he just bought it off of craigslist wanting to use the casing, but decided not to, and second, he said that he does not have any pictures to prove that it runs. I have some questions about the computer.

1.) What is the intel core? or is this something I would have to ask him?
2.) Would I have to buy a graphics card for gaming, or would it already have one?

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this gaming computer things, but I need an upgrade now that I am running games and trying to program at the same time :)

Thank you for the support!

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
The computer is from ~2006-2007.
1.) it doesn't have an intel core. It uses an Athlon 64 FX, AMDs competitor the the pentium D/core 2 duo
The FX 62 is roughly slower than a core 2 duo clock for clock.

2.) the computer has 2x 7900gtx.

your notebook CPU >> alienware ALX CPU
your notebook GPU < 2x 7900gtx

I would not buy that desktop as an upgrade to your notebook.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I agree with fralexandr. That is a very old (slow) system by current standards.

Also the name "Alienware" generally means you paid too much.

No hard drive means no operating system so you are looking at some cost and extra trouble there.

Computer's have been steadily improving for many years now (see Moore's Law). An eight year old computer system is an antique. New stuff will be faster and use less power.

I wouldn't take that system if it was free...

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
What exactly are you trying to do? What is your budget? Is the laptop yours? Why are you asking about Intel cores (is that question about the laptop)? What are you upgrading? Do you already have a desktop?

An i7 is going to be among the best processors you can buy while that AMD processor in that Alienware is very old and slow. Which i7 is in the laptop?

Last edited: