alienware: are the cases cool or kiddyish?

oalvarez

Nov 22, 2003
i'm about to pull the trigger on a new aurora system in martian red. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. the other computer im thinking about building is off of the abscomputers.com site. both would be amd fx51's.

thanks !

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Hi, welcome to AT!

I suggest maybe posting out the details of both systems since we can tell you which is better and which is a better value for the money etc. If you're not comfortable building, you may want to order a base system then toss on better stuff yourself, since it may be much more cost efficient.

BTW if you change the title to mention more than the case, maybe more will visit the thread and help you decide.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I would love to have the inards but would be so embarrased to have that case. maybe Im too old but the case does seem kiddyish.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Alienware cases scream "Look at me!!! I blew tons of money for this ugly ass case!!!"

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: MonkeyDriveExpress
Alienware cases scream "Look at me!!! I blew tons of money for this ugly ass case!!!"

Usually $1000 -$1500 more than building it yourself. Thats an expensive case. I would definately go with ABS. The prices are far more reasonable.

LuckyForward

Aug 4, 2003
I wouldn't buy an alienware system, though I do happen to like the case, but I'm a GenX'er into video games and such. I would buy the guts of the system and throw it together yourself, these days it's pretty much just plugging in cables. Once you build your own you'll never go back. For the kind of money you'd spend on an Alienware system you could build a VERY nice FX51 rig, and have something to be proud of (and money left over for games a plenty). If you're looking for an attractive case I'd recommend CoolerMaster's WaveMaster, I think it's the best looking case out there. From what I can tell, the Alienware cases are overdressed Chieftec/Antec towers.

Ant001

Jul 30, 2003
I think they're OK, they look kinda tacky and I wouldn't have one myself, but I don't hate them with the passion that some here do ;)

If money is really not a problem, go ahead and buy one, it will probably be fast. Otherwise, build your own. With the money you save, you could buy an HDTV to hook it up to!

txxxx

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2003
Surely what matters is what you think of your case, or is it a show piece?
rolleye.gif

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Umm, I REALLY wouldn't asks these geeks what looks good. Take a look at most of these guys machines, ugly ass hell.

Kutter

Nov 9, 2003
I was looking at the Alienware machines and think the look ok, especially if you get a cool color combination. That being said, I just ordered my new system and ended up going with a Coolermaster Wavemaster case.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I go back and forth, the bug-eyed metallic cases are unique and geeky-cool, but I don't really care about showing off my case so my next system will probably just go in an Antec Sonata or 3700.

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
They were cool at first, not that much anymore

Porbleemo: They are standard, enermax/thermaltake xaser/ chenming/ cases

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Tetsuo

So the new ones are really the old case with a new shell? That figures coming from Alienware.

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: PorBleemo
Originally posted by: Tetsuo

So the new ones are really the old case with a new shell? That figures coming from Alienware.

Yep, that's right.

oalvarez

Nov 22, 2003
thanks a ton for your candid reply, i truly appreciate your suggestions.

thanks to everyone who posted, i will probably end up with a Velocity MIcro product (amdfx51, 1gb ram, ati 9800xt, 2 120gb sata in raid) in a very plain black antec case (no window, no lights, i personally do not care for that stuff). i have built 2 machines myself, i would build this new one but i only seem to save $400 when pricing out the parts vs a pre-built, and the time i save is worth some of that.

anyhoot, thanks for the reply.

Redviffer

Oct 30, 2002
I like them, and they certainly stepped out of the normal boundaries with their new cases. Yes, those that have them are certainly looking to be noticed, and that case does it by the truck loads.

Snoop

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: oalvarez
thanks a ton for your candid reply, i truly appreciate your suggestions.

thanks to everyone who posted, i will probably end up with a Velocity MIcro product (amdfx51, 1gb ram, ati 9800xt, 2 120gb sata in raid) in a very plain black antec case (no window, no lights, i personally do not care for that stuff). i have built 2 machines myself, i would build this new one but i only seem to save $400 when pricing out the parts vs a pre-built, and the time i save is worth some of that.

anyhoot, thanks for the reply.

If you havent already ordered, take a look at ABS pc, from my experiance, ABS is the most reasonably price high end pc builder, and they are super good with customer support. (Top ten on ressellar ratings)

ABS

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i still think nothing beats the fun with hand picking out your own parts and look for sales and build your own computer from sketch.