Aliens: Colonial Marines

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
No predator, but close enough;).

Me and word conservation... I meant can't really go wrong with an action game that is multi-platform since there aren't too many "complicated" things that have to be stripped to accomodate consolers.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Nice. gearbox isnt a slouch so it should come out well. ohh and i remember the 90's side scroller. it wasn't THAT horrid for the time I mean it was no gauntlet or ninja gaiden but come on ;p

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Thyme
Probably lacking the "Get to the Choppah!" mini-game.

That would so be the icing on the cake.

Could someone quote the article in the OP? It's blocked for me so imagine it is blocked for many others.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
story of the game:

Sigourney Weaver wants to watch Direct-TV.
Alien wont let her.
A fight breaks out.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Borealis7
story of the game:

Sigourney Weaver wants to watch Direct-TV.
Alien wont let her.
A fight breaks out.

The sequel:

Sigourney Weaver wants Verizon FIOS to be available in her area.
Aliens now occupy the Verizon executive staff.
Another fight breaks out.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: Thyme
Probably lacking the "Get to the Choppah!" mini-game.

That would so be the icing on the cake.

Could someone quote the article in the OP? It's blocked for me so imagine it is blocked for many others.

Not really an article, just a snippet of what's in the magazine. If you want the article, gonna have to go buy the magazine:(.

From Game Informer:

Gearbox Software knows a thing or two about soldiering?its Brothers in Arms games have even been used to recreate key World War II battles on the History Channel. With those kind of qualifications, it seems like they?d be the perfect developer to tackle a game about Marines. Make that United States Colonial Marines. You got it?Aliens: Colonial Marines is invading consoles and PCs in 2009. We have a world-exclusive first look at the squad-based FPS, which aims to recapture the tension and desperation of the earlier films. Check out the first-ever screens of the game in action. If that?s not enough, we have the first look at Cryptic Studios? latest superhero MMO, Champions Online. The City of Heroes developers are taking on PCs and consoles, too, letting us all unleash our inner heroes?or villains. We also take Red Faction: Guerrilla apart, getting an in-depth look at the game?s amazing destructible environments. Read about these games and much, much more in the new issue of Game Informer?the first place you?ll see God of War: Chains of Olympus reviewed.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Im looking forward to it, I have been waiting for an AVP game and have always been a big fan of the "Aliens" movie.

My only issue is that the aliens were quite a bit more powerful than the marines in mp.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
When the scanner noise kicks in, I'm gonna piss my pants :Q

Hope they make that thing look and sounds "cooler". The motion sensor is one of the coolest devices ever. That and the pulse rifle and smart gun. Give me those 3 things and I will be very happy.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I remember playing the Aliens-no the konami one lol- game in 1996-98 like crazy on my Mac. It was one of the best singleplayer games at the time on the mac and looked great. Funny thing my AGP G4 mac ran the game better than my buddies top of the line dell. I may go dig that up and replay it for the hell of it on my macbook.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Imp

Hope they make that thing look and sounds "cooler". The motion sensor is one of the coolest devices ever. That and the pulse rifle and smart gun. Give me those 3 things and I will be very happy.

in AVP and AVP2 the motion tracker was pretty useless, I think it blipped every half a second or second and by the time anything showed up it was too late since the aliens were way way faster than you.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: MetalMat

in AVP and AVP2 the motion tracker was pretty useless, I think it blipped every half a second or second and by the time anything showed up it was too late since the aliens were way way faster than you.

that was the point. Scared the shit outta you and added to the mood.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: FallenHero

Ya, I enjoyed it for the scare aspect more than anything. However, I also learned to utilize it by strategically positioning myself at the farthest points from the most probably location(s) where the Aliens would appear. It bought me enough time to react on many occasions. The alien AI was also kind of dumb so they would get trapped by obstacles. Positioning yourself around obstacles well helped make the motion tracker more useful too.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: FallenHero

Ya, I enjoyed it for the scare aspect more than anything. However, I also learned to utilize it by strategically positioning myself at the farthest points from the most probably location(s) where the Aliens would appear. It bought me enough time to react on many occasions. The alien AI was also kind of dumb so they would get trapped by obstacles. Positioning yourself around obstacles well helped make the motion tracker more useful too.

It added a lot more to immersion than it did in terms of practicality. The motion tracker only helped to point me in the right direction and a rough idea of how far apart things were. However, the *ping* *ping* *ping* really scared the crap out of me and made me swing around a few times to get a "count". Oh, and it was in the movie so it can't hurt to feel like you're living it out;).

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
4 player co-op sounds fun, but still single player with motion detector going off with low ammo = win

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Official word says it's squadbased and has co-op. All the standard stuff is there:).

Theres a lot of potential if executed correctly. For instance, I always thought the part in HL2 ep2 when you fight with the resistance against the antlions in the tunnels would have been funner if the other 2 NPCs were actually people.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Dacalo
4 player co-op sounds fun, but still single player with motion detector going off with low ammo = win
I think 4 player COOP finally sounds more realistic.

Tired of 1 man vs army.... he wins... been DONE

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Originally posted by: Dacalo
I think 4 player COOP finally sounds more realistic.

Tired of 1 man vs army.... he wins... been DONE

There better be ass load of aliens popping from everywhere! And their acid spraying everywhere too!