Alien vs Predator demo on Steam now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
Can anybody get this game going? I've tried the past few hours and it can't find anything to join, it just keeps on saying "Searching for games" and nothing. I've left it on that screen for 5 mins and nothing.

They push out a demo where people can't even fucking play it? I was so hyped for this game but this piece of shit demo that doesn't even works ruins it all. If you put a demo out for your game, you make sure the damn thing works and you should do a single player level, not multiplayer online for a demo.

I was about to pay for this game through that gogamer deal in the hot deals section, looks like I'll have to make a trip to the torrent sites for this shit game.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
When it comes to the AvP games......I love the multiplayer of the first game and think they nailed it. For Aliens vs. Marines & Predators. It plays smoothly. I am so happy they re-released the first game with fixed multiplayer servers on steam. This game is still a blast and I find the visuals to still be good. However the game is dark most of the time anyways. :p

Single player in AvP? Eh, it was okay.The sequel AvP2 did Single Player well. Really well. I enjoyed the story. Multiplayer? They messed it up by making the Aliens slower.

Multiplayer would be the biggest reason to get this game for me. As well as a fun single player experience. However unless the story is as fun as AvP2s?

However I will try the demo out and if it's ass......Then i'll wait till it becomes a budget title. Sorry to say. I will have to try it and see. I was really hoping the company that made AvP a kick ass multiplayer game would improve on a sequel.

Last edited:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Can anybody get this game going? I've tried the past few hours and it can't find anything to join, it just keeps on saying "Searching for games" and nothing. I've left it on that screen for 5 mins and nothing.

They push out a demo where people can't even fucking play it? I was so hyped for this game but this piece of shit demo that doesn't even works ruins it all. If you put a demo out for your game, you make sure the damn thing works and you should do a single player level, not multiplayer online for a demo.

I was about to pay for this game through that gogamer deal in the hot deals section, looks like I'll have to make a trip to the torrent sites for this shit game.

i cant find a game on this pos either..keeps searching
what a bust
had hopes for this

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
It took me many tries to even get a game and it seriously feels like the same game that we had before.

Ya I figured it'd be the same game but better visuals, which isn't really a bad thing in my opinion. I'll save judgement until release when I can actually see some single player content. In most cases if the single player story is well written and immersive I'll overlook the multiplayer failings.

I already preordered bad company 2 anyhow and thats looking to be pretty good, albeit alittle console port-esk. I think it's just as fun as the original Battlefield or BF2 and I got a long run out of those games before I moved on.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Game is terrible, as expected.

I disagree.

The game is produced by the original IP at least. The last couple were good in my opinion.

My thoughts were "How could they screw this up?"

My hopes got up when I saw a demo released as that typically means a decent game if there willing to show off a demo. Which was Horribad. Many fanboi's will say...its not DX11 and the final additions...well how much sense does it make to release a terrible demo that doesn't do the game justice?

The last few years have been filled with disappointments from my gaming perspective. This is going to near the top of my list.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the final release is amazing.

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
I think I've learned to settle for mediocre really, just because a lot of releases last year were REALLY bad. I was pleasantly surprised with Batman Arkham Asylum though so maybe this new AVP release will run us for a loop. We'll see what the reviews say in 2 weeks

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Maybe one day I'll get into a damn match. lol I don't really care about mp though and would have preferred a single player demo with all 3 species represented. A deathmatch only demo is very underwhelming and I'm not going to blindly plunk down 50 bones if I don't know what the single player is like. I guess I'll just wait for thorough reviews and player experiences on that.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
I played several about half a dozen games and I enjoyed it - my only complaints are :

1. STUPID matchmaking - but final release will have dedicated servers so its not so bed - but it would be nice to have them now.

2. Controls: too consolish controls IMO - they are not bad but there are several things that are missing - crouch for marine and predator, and release for alien.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Well my experience so far has been negative...

1. Horrible noise on the startup menu... is it meant to be like that? Mousing over the buttons gives a bleep, if the sound was messed up that bleep would likely be messed up as well leading me to think its meant to be like that. This wouldnt be a big deal if it werent for the next point.

2. It didnt work :/ Managed to join a quickmatch, it started to load i think then aburptly the game closed, just like that, no CTD message no error nothing it just ended. Tried again and couldnt join a match, so my entire time was spent searching for a match and listening to a horrible noise, fantastic.

3. The mouse is very slow, i know some games are like this in the menus and the actual game is different but since i couldnt get that far...

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
I left the demo search for matches while I went to get some coffee this morning, came back and 10 minutes later it was actually loading a match! HAZA! My excitement was soon replaced with total frustration over the clunky movement controls and the unoriginal map. The Demo map is the Refinery and it's almost an exact replica of the same map from AVP 1 and 2. I realize it's a classic map for this game series but seriously if I wanted to play the exact same maps I'd install AVP 2. Which I'm actually doing right now lol.

Exactly how others have said I would have much preferred a single player demo to this heaping pile of crap.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I thought it was pretty stupid myself and certainly would not pay 50 bucks for it.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I dont know what you people are smoking

I got into the game immediately, found a good server, and played for a few hours.

The mouse was slow, but there is an option for that...

I am buying this game day 1. I might even preorder it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I dont know what you people are smoking

I got into the game immediately, found a good server, and played for a few hours.

The mouse was slow, but there is an option for that...

I am buying this game day 1. I might even preorder it.

Well that's good that someone enjoys it but I'll just stick to AvP1/2.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Does someone have a link to verify dedicated servers in the final release? The only news stories I read after MW2's release was the dev team of AVP saying that there wont be dedicated servers.

edit: nvm found some links.

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
I finally got into my first game, chose the marine and I got owned. Then all of a sudden it kicked me out because steam went down or something.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not bad - but not great. took a long time to quick join a server - Deathmatch. I spawned as an Alien - seemed to be well balanced. Don't really see anything significant over the first Alien vs Pred games..

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
Not bad - but not great. took a long time to quick join a server - Deathmatch. I spawned as an Alien - seemed to be well balanced. Don't really see anything significant over the first Alien vs Pred games..

It didn't seem to be balanced to me, predator owns the alien. I was playing against this guy as an alien and I was getting owned. Next game he was alien and I was predator, then I owned him. It seems like predator just swipes a few times and the alien is dead. We were doing 1 on 1 though so we didn't have to change vision modes at all to see the person. In a bigger game, I could see the alien having advantages but it's hard as hell to play as the alien.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
It didn't seem to be balanced to me, predator owns the alien. I was playing against this guy as an alien and I was getting owned. Next game he was alien and I was predator, then I owned him. It seems like predator just swipes a few times and the alien is dead. We were doing 1 on 1 though so we didn't have to change vision modes at all to see the person. In a bigger game, I could see the alien having advantages but it's hard as hell to play as the alien.
lrn2ply

lolxlolx

Seriously, try different shit out... you aren't going to beat anything in a head on as alien, you gotta sneak around climb on the fucking ceiling and drop down and eat the fucking face off

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
and of course now that its installed stupid steam is down for maintenance....
is there any way to clear all mapped buttons? and start with all n/a ?
it keeps saying i have the same button mapped multiple times but i can't find
which ones are lol

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
and of course now that its installed stupid steam is down for maintenance....
is there any way to clear all mapped buttons? and start with all n/a ?
it keeps saying i have the same button mapped multiple times but i can't find
which ones are lol

Yeah, the default controls are fucking stupid. When you go to bind keys to the controls, do it twice for each one that way there is no alternate. You think they would have made it fool proof and just have it stop you from binding more then 1 key to an action. Nope. Also, after binding all the keys I wanted and exiting the game, some how they all got reset....I cannot stand games that screw up your keyboard settings.

Valve still has the best keyboard options when it comes to their games.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Just curious, is the Xenomorph's controls playing like the Skulk in Natural Selection? Is it comparable? (I.E walking on walls and ceilings, ambushing, jumping from any surfaces, etc.)