Alex Jones got spanked in court.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
$45.2 million. I hope the judge doesn't reduce it.

I've never been on a jury that had to determine that kind of monetary award. I wonder what the process is. Why 45.2 million? Why not 45 or an even 50? What makes them come up with 45.2?

Often times a jury will agree on some arbitrary method of calculating the amount, like x% of net worth, or x% of revenues in the past year. They have all the defendant's financial information when making this determination.

Reactions: allisolm

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Damn, looked back at my posts in the various Jones' threads over the years, and while I predicted punitive damages, I had suggested $10 million. Defamation verdicts don't often get this high so I had no basis to project higher. And to think they had to vote unanimously and came out with an award that high.

Reactions: Number1 and dank69

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Damn, looked back at my posts in the various Jones' threads over the years, and while I predicted punitive damages, I had suggested $10 million. Defamation verdicts don't often get this high so I had no basis to project higher. And to think they had to vote unanimously and came out with an award that high.

Most defamation verdicts do not involve a long standing campaign to raise a cult whose continuous harassment and death threats haunt the victims.
What that man did to those families has no parallel.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
$45.2 million. I hope the judge doesn't reduce it.

I've never been on a jury that had to determine that kind of monetary award. I wonder what the process is. Why 45.2 million? Why not 45 or an even 50? What makes them come up with 45.2?
The jury awarded them $4.1million...the judge awarded them $42 million.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
American justice is a fucking farce unless you commit it against the rich

Since 1987, Chapter 41 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, passed by the Texas Legislature, has limited punitive damages in almost any scenario (exceptions apply for serious felonies and white collar crime) to:

“Exemplary damages awarded against a defendant may not exceed an amount equal to the greater of: (1)(A) two times the amount of economic damages; plus (B) an amount equal to any noneconomic damages found by the jury, not to exceed $750,000; or (2) $200,000.”

Here, the damages of $4.1 MM are entirely non-economic. The $750,000 cap applies. The total judgment will be in the neighborhood of $4.11MM plus $750,000, or $4.865MM.

The jury is not told there’s a cap. These jurors found an amount they considered just, but the Texas Legislature has decided that tortfeasors must be protected from ’runaway juries’. I bet these jurors will be sorely disappointed when they discover this. This is cigarette money to Mr. Jones: no punishment for the most egregious conduct coupled with glaring contempt for the Rule of Law.

Mr. Jones continues to laugh all the way to the bank, over and over and over. Appalling. This is how it works since Republicans gained control of the Legislature, and amply rewarded the business and insurance interest whose money fueled their election victories. And other aspects of the civil justice system have been watered down by successive ‘tort reform’ Legislatures, and a state supreme court that has been 9 Republicans, 0 Democrats since the early 90s.

Many states have similar caps passed by their legislatures.

Reactions: Drach

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Since 1987, Chapter 41 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, passed by the Texas Legislature, has limited punitive damages in almost any scenario (exceptions apply for serious felonies and white collar crime) to:

“Exemplary damages awarded against a defendant may not exceed an amount equal to the greater of: (1)(A) two times the amount of economic damages; plus (B) an amount equal to any noneconomic damages found by the jury, not to exceed $750,000; or (2) $200,000.”

Here, the damages of $4.1 MM are entirely non-economic. The $750,000 cap applies. The total judgment will be in the neighborhood of $4.11MM plus $750,000, or $4.865MM.

The jury is not told there’s a cap. These jurors found an amount they considered just, but the Texas Legislature has decided that tortfeasors must be protected from ’runaway juries’. I bet these jurors will be sorely disappointed when they discover this. This is cigarette money to Mr. Jones: no punishment for the most egregious conduct coupled with glaring contempt for the Rule of Law.

Mr. Jones continues to laugh all the way to the bank, over and over and over. Appalling. This is how it works since Republicans gained control of the Legislature, and amply rewarded the business and insurance interest whose money fueled their election victories. And other aspects of the civil justice system have been watered down by successive ‘tort reform’ Legislatures, and a state supreme court that has been 9 Republicans, 0 Democrats since the early 90s.

But if bad actors can be held accountable how will they make donations to state legislators?

Also something about the party of personal responsibility once again ensuring no one really has to take responsibility.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo and KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009

Let’s calm the fuck down until this actually happens.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
If Alex Jones files for bankruptcy (which I believe he did last week) will that protect his assets and net worth?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
If Alex Jones files for bankruptcy (which I believe he did last week) will that protect his assets and net worth?
Technically yes. But when it's proven he's lying and attempting to hide his wealth under this lame attempt, he'll get additional charges and fines on top of all the lawsuits.