Alex Jones got spanked in court.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
But as the legal experts are saying, this is only 1 family. So fair to award $4 million as a starting point. And yes, punitive damages should be higher

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If they don't get a shit-ton for punitive there is no point even having the legal concept anymore.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If they don't get a shit-ton for punitive there is no point even having the legal concept anymore.

Jury has to be unanimous in TX for punitive and most commentators in the know are skeptical. We'll have to wait and see.

Though this is just the trial for one family and his lawyers leaking his phone is bound to cause other problems.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
But as the legal experts are saying, this is only 1 family. So fair to award $4 million as a starting point. And yes, punitive damages should be higher
Did not realize it was just for 2 families. Line' em up, next....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You got to wonder if Joe Rogan is sweating just a little bit. I guess well find out lol.

eh, Rogan will be fine. ...he's just some dude that got blunted one night and found himself on the phone with Alex Jones at like, 3am for some reason because of some pranks from his friends.

shit happens.

I mean.....it may have happened, like, 7 times, but whatever. shit man. what else are you going to do at 3am, moving from PCT to MT in like, 4 months time? right? crazy shit, bro.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Personally I wouldnt mind enjoying The Rogan Burnfest Show.

Recently he and a guest railed against fucked up dems cause someone edited a wikipedia page entry on the definition of "recession".
11 million people per episode.. that is some reach alright.
And never NEVER a singe mention on anything on the right, #teamtreason, whatever.
He did a mistake and mentioned Texas abortion once. But thats it. He was high too.
Roganitis.. is a cross between a subcategory of Tourettes(Hunters laptop etc.) and dick cancer.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I'm totally amused by the Infowars zealots claiming Jones never defamed these families or that the zealots never sent the families into hiding with their death threats. Just like with the 1/6 traitors, these right-wingers think that they can lie about the past because they expect that we are like them and have no memory of it, and thus the truth can be whatever they say it is. Unfortunately for these reactionaries, social media's memory is forever.

It is no different than Trump, if you do so much crap every day it is forgotten even by the haters. I started listening to Knowledge Fight and Jones or his guest said the Covid Vaccine will kill us in 6 months based on another world control mass population decrease conspiracy. they were very specific with the 6 month timeline. No mention of it 6+ months later when it never happens, gasp!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It is no different than Trump, if you do so much crap every day it is forgotten even by the haters. I started listening to Knowledge Fight and Jones or his guest said the Covid Vaccine will kill us in 6 months based on another world control mass population decrease conspiracy. they were very specific with the 6 month timeline. No mention of it 6+ months later when it never happens, gasp!

Indeed. Now we know what the potential of cultism catalyzed by modern media platforms and their reach looks like.
Imagine Jim Jones with a Twitter/Facebook/TikTok account. Charles Manson. Actually we can look to the private jet-flying "tv preachers" to get an idea, they just dont have the murder gene.. or rather their greed gene outpaces their murder gene anyway.

Trumpism is cultism. Fact.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Jury gives the 2 parents $4+ million in compensatory damages. A lot less than the $150 million they were asking, but a lot more than the $8 his attorneys offered in closing. Punitive damages have yet to be decided.

Edit: oops. Beaten to the punch by Fantical Meat while I was composing.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/media/alex-jones-trial-sandy-hook-decision/index.html
“If you look at the bankruptcy filing, leading up to the declaration of bankruptcy, Alex Jones, the sole owner [of Free Speech Systems], took $62 million in draws in 2021 and 2022,” Moshenberg told CNN. “Just straight up draws. That’s why the company has few assets.”
looks like he's been using the business as his personal bank and to keep the funds hidden.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I was thinking they would get a lot more than $4 million for punitives. I strongly suspect that will be confirmed by the court.

Question-doesn't Texas require a bond when appealling? As I recall one of the big oil companies got slammed in trial court and went into bankruptcy because they couldn't afford the bond. Given Jones' antics in bankruptcy court earlier this year he's going to have a lot of trouble going back there.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
$45.2 million. I hope the judge doesn't reduce it.

I've never been on a jury that had to determine that kind of monetary award. I wonder what the process is. Why 45.2 million? Why not 45 or an even 50? What makes them come up with 45.2?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
$45.2 million. I hope the judge doesn't reduce it.

I've never been on a jury that had to determine that kind of monetary award. I wonder what the process is. Why 45.2 million? Why not 45 or an even 50? What makes them come up with 45.2?
I didn't look it up, but it's 3 counts. So a bunch of .x