Alert level raised for Alaska volcano

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i once had a bag of ash from an alaskan volcanic eruption. could have been the mt. spur eruption

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Meh, I don't see why (old news) fuss about Jindal's remarks, they seem to be monitoring it just fine as it is now. (But I'll skip the chance to complain, in usual P&N fashion, about politicizing a possible volcanic erruption.)

My understanding is that Anchorage is too far away to be impacted. I suppose there are small villages in harm's way. Maybe a possiblity that some critical highway may be blocked?

Perhaps someone here from Alaska knows?

Fern

Plume nine miles high now, Anchorage; breathing masks recommended, air flights redirected. Jet Stream will carry ash down to you in the forty-eight.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Alaska volcano spews 25,000 feet-high ash plume
38 minutes ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) ? Observatory officials say Alaska's Mount Redoubt has spewed steam and ash up to 25,000 feet high.

Alaska Volcano Observatory geophysicist John Power says the volcano had been spewing ash about 15,000 feet into the air before it erupted Tuesday afternoon.

A broad layer of haze that could contain ash has extended from the Matanuska-Susitna Valley north of Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula.

The eruption prompted Alaska Airlines to cancel 18 flights in and out of Anchorage, which is roughly 100 miles northeast of the volcano.

The volcano has been active since March 23. The last time it erupted was during a four-month period in 1989-90.

http://www.google.com/hostedne...AVcObQBWbS25QD979DJPG1

the sun is setting but the plume can be seen on the live cam if you are fast.