Discussion Alder Lake - Builders Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This thread is for those of us that own or are looking to get an Alder Lake CPU.

Bought mine on release day. 12900K. Memory selection was limited to only Crucial DDR5 4800 at the Micro Center I went to. Bought two 2 x 8GB kits. Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master. I did buy a 360mm Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO. Ended up returning it since the Lian Li Socket 1700 backplate that I bought separately worked well with my NZXT Kraken X73.

46RRrSN.jpg

Last edited:

xinthius

Nov 15, 2021
Here's my R23 results ~17,700 although i realise the screenshot I took and sent wasn't full resolution! Glad to see I'm performing as expected!

CinebenchR23.png

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
Did some tweaking. Set voltage manually to 1.300V and upped the clocks. Best I got was 1-2core = 5.5GHz, 3-4core = 5.2GHz and 5-8core = 5.1Ghz.

The Asus BIOS tells you the best cores and they're different than the ones Intel pushes the hardest when in stock mode. You can use the specific core limits to choose which ones will boost higher.

oc.jpg

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This is not my rig. Taken from a post on OC.net. Memory latency w/DDR4 4266 @ cl14 SR is around 40ns. Saved a pic of it,

View attachment 52900
There appears to be too many blank boxes even for the free aida64. I could be wrong...
I just tried my trial version. It looks nothing like that. The boxes are filled in or it says trial version. I assume the real software has all the boxes filled in, so its neither.
Photoshop ???
aida64_3900x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
This is not my rig. Taken from a post on OC.net. Memory latency w/DDR4 4266 @ cl14 SR is around 40ns. Saved a pic of it,

That is probably ~the limit of Gear1 for SR. Above RKL in clock, but also way above 10th gen in latency.

Photoshop ???

Nah, when tuning memory, one runs tools multiple times, and Aida takes minutes for full run.
So it has a shortcut - You can double click either exact cell or row title and only those will be calculated.

1637047274771.png

spikegifted

Dec 11, 2000
I've just finished my new build - first gaming PC in a while. It was a hard toss up between this or AMD, but I felt that the CPU gain of the i5 vs the 5600/5800 was too material to overlook, especially for something I plan on keeping for a couple of years with the possibility to upgrade to DDR5 once prices become more reasonable.

• i5-12600k
  • Asus Prime WiFi board
  • 16GB Corsair DDR4 RAM (Don't see the point spending too much on DDR5 currently)
  • Crucial P5 1TB M.2 (Again, don't see the need for a PCIE 4 drive just yet)
  • 6700XT
  • Corsair H100i Elite CAPELLIX cooler
A huge upgrade to the Dell XPS 15 I've been running in clamshell for a while (i7 9750h). So far I am very impressed.

View attachment 52867

Nice rig! Very clean!

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
5200 was not totally stable at 1.25V. Don't want to push voltage too high on these DIMMs. 5000 with primary timings of 38-38-38-80 are stable.

Good enough until DDR5 6000+ materializes.

I also backed down a speed bin on the 12900K for 24/7 use. Even though 5.3GHz on two cores and 5.2GHz on all cores is stable in all my torture tests, I just like the peace of mind knowing 5.2GHz on two cores and 5.1GHz on all cores is going to run everything I throw at it. It will be using less power as well.

The ECores are at 4GHz two cores and 3.9GHz all core. Uncore/L3 at stock 3.6GHz.

I just wish my new house was ready so I could hook it up to my home theater setup for its full intended purpose, gaming. 65" LG OLED with Klipsch floor standing Atmos surround speakers.

Last edited:

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
5200 was not totally stable at 1.25V. Don't want to push voltage too high on these DIMMs. 5000 with primary timings of 38-38-38-80 are stable.

Good enough until DDR5 6000+ materializes.

I also backed down a speed bin on the 12900K for 24/7 use. Even though 5.3GHz on two cores and 5.2GHz on all cores is stable in all my torture tests, I just like the piece of mind knowing 5.2GHz on two cores and 5.1GHz on all cores is going to run everything I throw at it. It will be using less power as well.

The ECores are at 4GHz two cores and 3.9GHz all core. Uncore/L3 at stock 3.6GHz.

I just wish my new house was ready so I could hook it up to my home theater setup for its full intended purpose, gaming. 65" LG OLED with Klipsch floor standing Atmos surround speakers.
Have you tried playing with the uncore for a little bit more performance. You're running very high frequencies that could benefit from high uncore as well. I'm sure it'll take some voltage and that's what you're preventing. May also impact your tuning.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, my Asus board BIOS also needed updating! Lovely set up :)

I think I went overkill with my cooler vs yours and you went i7 vs my i5...

I built the system last Friday and everything went smoothly. Then all of a sudden on Sunday it started getting very unstable. It stopped recognizing the boot drive and if it would get into Windows it would immediately freeze, restart, or return some BSD. So I'm thinking BIOS update, bad boot drive, bad motherboard, or some weird software conflict from a Windows update. Turns out after a few hours of troubleshooting it was the BIOS.

I also learned something. XMP I profile on my memory was tuned by ASUS and compared to the XMP II profile the ASUS engineers just relaxed a few settings. So I guess when RAM is officially supported it means the engineers have created a profile they feel is stable with that board. Am I on the right track here?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I also learned something. XMP I profile on my memory was tuned by ASUS and compared to the XMP II profile the ASUS engineers just relaxed a few settings. So I guess when RAM is officially supported it means the engineers have created a profile they feel is stable with that board. Am I on the right track here?
Where did you learn that from? Officially supported RAM is validated on the platform, they use the actual products and check stability at target frequency and timings provided by the memory manufacturer. The XMP profiles are stored on the memory sticks, and DDR4 supports 2 profiles. The memory manufacturer can set two different profiles in there, one of them being less aggressive to maximize compatibility with different hardware.

DDR5 has up to 5 XMP profiles, 3 can be set by the memory vendor and 2 by the user. More details here, including information about Intel's XMP certification program:
Memory vendors test their modules following Intel’s Intel XMP test plans, in addition to their own. Test results are recorded along with the specific processor, motherboard, and BIOS version used. Once passing test logs are reviewed by Intel modules are considered for addition to the Intel XMP certified list.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Where did you learn that from? Officially supported RAM is validated on the platform, they use the actual products and check stability at target frequency and timings provided by the memory manufacturer. The XMP profiles are stored on the memory sticks, and DDR4 supports 2 profiles. The memory manufacturer can set two different profiles in there, one of them being less aggressive to maximize compatibility with different hardware.

DDR5 has up to 5 XMP profiles, 3 can be set by the memory vendor and 2 by the user. More details here, including information about Intel's XMP certification program:

In the BIOS on my ASUS board when you hover over the XMP settings the info pop up that appears at the bottom of the screen says that XMP I are the memory timings tuned by ASUS. I don't remember the exact verbiage but I can check it if you want. Then I looked at the timings of XMP I and XMP II in the BIOS and noticed they are very close but some XMP I settings are slightly relaxed. I am thinking that XMP I is validated by the manufacturer but not XMP II. In my case the 4 primary timings and RAM speed are the same but there are small differences in other timings.

Let me grab some screen shots to make sure I'm not speaking out of turn here...