Alaska Residents - How much do you get paid each year to live in Alaska?

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
I say that you get paid roughly $1000 and under, whereas my buddy says that you get paid something like $10,000 a year!

So who is right?

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Depends on the year as I understand it's based on oil production, etc...

Varies between about $700-$1300/year

Jittles

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
Lowest I've been paid is about 800 bucks, highest was about 1950 during the economic boom. Most of the PFD money comes from stocks and funds, not directly from oil money. It also lags behind as it's based off the previous year.

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Jittles
Lowest I've been paid is about 800 bucks, highest was about 1950 during the economic boom. Most of the PFD money comes from stocks and funds, not directly from oil money. It also lags behind as it's based off the previous year.

Why does your profile say you live in California.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: DVK916

Possibly because he no longer lives in AK.

The checks come out in late summer/early fall; one per person that has been an AK resident for more than 1 year.

(6 grand rugrats still in Kodiak)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Xyclone
I didn't know this, but I still wouldn't live there. :p

Parts of Alaska have not much different climate than Seattle/San Francisco

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

Possibly because he no longer lives in AK.

The checks come out in late summer/early fall; one per person that has been an AK resident for more than 1 year.

(6 grand rugrats still in Kodiak)

He must be greatfull to be out of that frozen wasteland and in wonderful California. I am sure your counting the days until you can finally get your children and wife out of that frozen wasteland as well.

Jun 27, 2005
<--- Lives in Alaska

To answer the OP's question: The pay out varies from year to year. It's based on a five year average of permement fund earnings. Last year was about $850. Checks in the past have been close to $2000. I think the lowest check I've ever received was about $400.

Alaska had a windfall back in the 70's. Rather than blow it all on government projects we created the Permenent Fund.

The PFD was established with oil money from the mid 1970's so the general perception is that it is an oil fund. It has since matured to where the fund itself is mostly stocks, bonds and real estate. Think of it as a $33 billion hedge fund. The price of oil has little bearing on the value of the PFD and, in fact, almost no oil lease revenue is added to the fund anymore. It is a self sustaining growth fund.

Alaska considers itself to be an "ownership state". If you hark back to the quaint old days when the concept of government was that of a true citizen government OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people you'll have a concept of how the fund works. The idea is that since the people are the government, when the government (re: the people) makes money it should divided up amongst the citizenry. So every year a portion of the earnings is paid out to the people. Another chunk is reinvested into the fund and the rest goes to the state government as part of the budget. No state income tax FTW!!!

Edit: The people who choose to receive their checks via direct deposit get them the 2nd week in October. The hard checks start mailing the last week in October.

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
<--- Lives in Alaska

To answer the OP's question: The pay out varies from year to year. It's based on a five year average of permement fund earnings. Last year was about $850. Checks in the past have been close to $2000. I think the lowest check I've ever received was about $400.

Alaska had a windfall back in the 70's. Rather than blow it all on government projects we created the Permenent Fund.

The PFD was established with oil money from the mid 1970's so the general perception is that it is an oil fund. It has since matured to where the fund itself is mostly stocks, bonds and real estate. Think of it as a $33 billion hedge fund. The price of oil has little bearing on the value of the PFD and, in fact, almost no oil lease revenue is added to the fund anymore. It is a self sustaining growth fund.

Alaska considers itself to be an "ownership state". If you hark back to the quaint old days when the concept of government was that of a true citizen government OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people you'll have a concept of how the fund works. The idea is that since the people are the government, when the government (re: the people) makes money it should divided up amongst the citizenry. So every year a portion of the earnings is paid out to the people. Another chunk is reinvested into the fund and the rest goes to the state government as part of the budget. No state income tax FTW!!!

Yes, but who would want to live in a frozen wasteland.

Jun 27, 2005
<--- Lives in Alaska

Yes, but who would want to live in a frozen wasteland.

It's amazing that when someone talks of living up here Alaska is a "frozen wasteland". But when we say we want to drill in ANWR it magically turns into a "pristine wilderness". /rant

Nobody lives in Ak for $1000 check every year.

As for it being a frozen wasteland... I posted a thread last week about it being fifty below. This summer I'll post another one about it being 90 above and sunny at midnight. I'm here for the summers. When I've had enough of winter I hop a five hour flight to Maui. :D

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
1k per person?? So if I had 10 kids and a wife, then we'd get 12k a year?

Yup. And if you had 10 kids that would be your gorcery bill for a month. :p

Nov 3, 2004

hmm... adopting children ftw?

Jun 27, 2005

hmm... adopting children ftw?

Like I said before... Nobody lives up here for the check. Do the math. A kid costs what... $300,000 to raise? 18 PFD checks (one per year till they leave the nest... and that's assuming you're a selfish bastard and YOU keep the money instead of letting them keep it) totaling $18k isn't even a dent in that. Makes a nice college fund though if properly invested. ;)

The PFD is an oddity to the rest of the US. But it's not a lot of money and it's not as big a deal as it's often made out to be.

Jun 27, 2005
People live in Alaska because they have too. No one really wants to live there.

Explain? Alaska isn't a penal colony. We do have a choice y'know.

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
People live in Alaska because they have too. No one really wants to live there.

Explain? Alaska isn't a penal colony. We do have a choice y'know.

People live in Alaska for work releated reason.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
All the extra shipping cost to ship to alaska on online orders is not worth it.